PDA

View Full Version : Cajun

Scally
2nd December 2005, 10:44 AM
I have been away for a while. I just finish moving from sydney to Tamworth.

While waiting for furniture I thought I would take the opportunity to trash a couple of pine coffee tables and make a new one.

I liked the look of David Mark's Drum/Coffee table - he called it a cajun.

Bubinga sides and legs
8mm furniture grade ply with a maple outer veneer for the top skin.
Maple solid timber edge around the top.
8mm ply for the bottom skin with a 150mm diameter hole in the bottom to let the noise out.

Several coats of danish oil for the finish.

It was fun to make and maybe a bit of a conversation piece.

scally

BobR
2nd December 2005, 10:59 AM
I just finish moving from sydney to Tamworth. While waiting for furniture....

Can I take it from this that the workshop has moved and the furniture is to follow. Good to see that your priorities are in order :D http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif.

BTW nice looking tables. Alittle different to the norm.

Peter36
2nd December 2005, 10:29 PM
Very well made table Scally and the Bubinga looks great . Does the move to Tamworth mean that you are going to play the drum at the next music festival:D

Peter

zenwood
2nd December 2005, 10:58 PM
Interesting design. Does the top open or anything?

Certainly a curious variation on a coffee table.

Scally
5th December 2005, 10:20 AM
I find coffee tables difficult to make interesting.

I have made a couple of Scobie designs, one with the heavy curved legs and 2 storage drawers made from jarrah. I made it to be indestructible for my 20 year old daughter who used to have some pretty wild parties.It looks good and has been well looked after.

Another has the curved end frames for legs and made from red bean to match my dining suite. It is a very pretty table and gets lots of comments.

When I saw the drum table, I thought it was an interesting idea and I had enought bubinga left over from another project.
A few years ago I was given a "zyladrum". It was a wooden box about the size of a big shoe box, a sound hole in the back and a range of 'keys' cut in the top with a bandsaw and made from a coastal hardwood. You hit the keys with rubber tipped drum sticks.

Now I have 2 drums.
My musical talent is limited to turning the volume control on the stereo so I wont be playing at the Tamworth Country Music festival.
The box is hollow and is supposed to be for making noise so it is no good for storage, Zenwood.

The rest of my furniture arrived last week with much drama. My priority is to fix the double garage up so it can be used as a workshop and not wasted on cars. First I have to clear the stuff that wouldn't fit in the house.
I will be searching the forum for ideas on benches, storage, lighting and dust extraction.

Anyone know a supplier of urea formaldahyde glue in Tamworth?

junkboy999
7th December 2005, 05:58 PM
Looks great. But how does it sound. I saw Marks makes his on TV and it sounded as good as it looked :)

Andraax
7th December 2005, 08:54 PM
I agree hard to make interesting and because they are looked at so often you always make yourself your own worse critic.

Lovely looking!

Scally
8th December 2005, 09:32 AM
It sounds like a big empty box.

It resonates really well when you hit the middle of the box and you get a tighter and higher note when you get closer to the edges.

Putting books on it kills the effect.

I was worried it might be too springy to use as a coffee table but it feels really solid. There is plenty of strength with the several layers of thin veneers in the ply.