PDA

View Full Version : It must be National Jewellery Box day

Gumby
2nd December 2005, 01:50 PM
I've made this style before and hopefully each is an improvement on the previous one.

Timber is rosewood for the case, cedar for the lid frame and camphor for the lid insert and dividers. All timber was from the WWW show.

Finished in Ubeaut Shellac, EEE and a swansdown mop. The dividers were left unfinished because the boss likes the smell of the camphor when you open the box.

Wongo
2nd December 2005, 01:59 PM
Gumby, Nice work buddy. It looks nice.:)

silentC
2nd December 2005, 02:05 PM
Not just a putty face, hey Mr G?

Nice one :)

Termite
2nd December 2005, 02:10 PM
Nice work Gumby, I like the smell of CL too.
What is the blue base, is it sticky back or blowon flocking (wasn't game to put a - between blow and on:D ).
If it is sticky back, did you apply it direct or wrapped around a false base piece.

SWMBO has tacked a jewelery box onto that list so I thought I'd better do a bit of brain picking. :)

Wood Borer
2nd December 2005, 02:14 PM
Nice work Ian.

Good contrast and nicely finished.

growl
2nd December 2005, 03:13 PM
Gumby,

You've said in the past you stuff up the last bit.

Not right this time. The box looks really good. I like it.

I have been wanting to make one of those from the Gifkins plans for a while now. How mch shed time did it take before applying the finish?

Growl

Gumby
2nd December 2005, 03:15 PM
If it is sticky back, did you apply it direct or wrapped around a false base piece.

Just some felt from Spotlight. It's just stuck on using spray adhesive. Pretty crude really but it works.

Gumby,

You've said in the past you stuff up the last bit.

Not right this time. The box looks really good. I like it.

I have been wanting to make one of those from the Gifkins plans for a while now. How mch shed time did it take before applying the finish?

Growl

Shed time, i'm not really sure. You know what happens, go out to the shed at 9am, spend an hour there and it's 6pm already.:D

There is a stuff up, but the pics hide it well. I'm actually using the stuff ups instead of a brand or a nice brass plaque like the ones DPB has. It's much cheaper and says much the same thing.

'Hand crafted by Gumby - with stuff up as proof of authenticity' ;)

growl
2nd December 2005, 03:30 PM
Shed time, i'm not really sure. You know what happens, go out to the shed at 9am, spend an hour there and it's 6pm already.:D

It is like being in a time machine. Maybe the tardis with the amount of room I have:D

Gumby
2nd December 2005, 03:45 PM
Nice work Ian.

Good contrast and nicely finished.

And I'm very proud to say this Rob, "not a hand tool was blunted in the process". :D :D

TEEJAY
2nd December 2005, 04:42 PM
Nice use of timber colour and the handle on the lid looks good too.

Did you manage to get the three different levels in the lid?

The raised section in the base rim looks good too - is it on all four sides?

Cheers

Wood Borer
2nd December 2005, 04:46 PM
That's great Ian - you have a lot of good times in front of you enjoying hand tools.;) You must drop over again so I can enthuse you - don't wear a foilie.

I'm off to the VWA show opening - can't wait. :cool:

Gumby
2nd December 2005, 05:06 PM
Did you manage to get the three different levels in the lid?

The raised section in the base rim looks good too - is it on all four sides?

Cheers

The raised cut out is on each section of the base.

The lid is a floating panel. This photo of my other box shows how it is made.

TEEJAY
2nd December 2005, 05:45 PM
Hi Gumby,

Sorry I didn't explain myself too clearly. The three different levels I mean't were that the lid has the inner panel top face at the highest level then the front and back rails are the next level down and the end rails are about 1mm lower than the front and back rails. Achieved by making the front and back rails thicker than the end rails and centring the rails to one anotherl. In effect the end rails are thinner and sit lower than the front and back. Repeating myself sorry. The image here on mine should show what I mean http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12452&d=1125749705

Cheers

Auld Bassoon
2nd December 2005, 05:49 PM
I've made this style before and hopefully each is an improvement on the previous one.

Timber is rosewood for the case, cedar for the lid frame and camphor for the lid insert and dividers. All timber was from the WWW show.

Finished in Ubeaut Shellac, EEE and a swansdown mop. The dividers were left unfinished because the boss likes the smell of the camphor when you open the box.

Nice one mate!

I notice that you "braved" the hinges this timehttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Q: did you use that flocking material from LV/Timbecon or a piece of felt cut to fit?

Cheers!

Auld Bassoon
2nd December 2005, 05:52 PM
And I'm very proud to say this Rob, "not a hand tool was blunted in the process". :D :D

Mate,

I was going to flick you a greenie 'till I read this:p

Gumby
2nd December 2005, 06:11 PM
Hi Gumby,

Sorry I didn't explain myself too clearly. The three different levels I mean't were that the lid has the inner panel top face at the highest level then the front and back rails are the next level down and the end rails are about 1mm lower than the front and back rails. Achieved by making the front and back rails thicker than the end rails and centring the rails to one anotherl. In effect the end rails are thinner and sit lower than the front and back. Repeating myself sorry. The image here on mine should show what I mean http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12452&d=1125749705

Cheers

No. :)

I notice that you "braved" the hinges this time

No I didn't, I whimped it again. Why do think there's no photo of the back.:rolleyes:
Actually, I quite like the look of them exposed. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Redback
2nd December 2005, 07:10 PM
I was just looking at the hinges (because Im hinging the same box at the moment - another trainer box).

Im cutting the hinges with a chisel and its a bugger, im bad at it, never looks clean :(

what did you do, just screw them on the outside? did you recess them?

Nice finish btw :)

RB

Gumby
2nd December 2005, 07:46 PM
I was just looking at the hinges (because Im hinging the same box at the moment - another trainer box).

Im cutting the hinges with a chisel and its a bugger, im bad at it, never looks clean :(

what did you do, just screw them on the outside? did you recess them?

Nice finish btw :)

RB

I just screwed them on the back. After all the work to get the box to that stage, I'm too scared to stuff it up. Main reason is that I don't own a decent small chisel. The next one might go to Wood Borer's for a lesson. :D But I will wear my foilie, I don't want to be converted.;)

Termite
2nd December 2005, 08:27 PM
I just screwed them on the back. After all the work to get the box to that stage, I'm too scared to stuff it up. Main reason is that I don't own a decent small chisel. The next one might go to Wood Borer's for a lesson. :D But I will wear my foilie, I don't want to be converted.;)

Brother Borer, here's a chance for a convert, and you might be able to unload that small chisel that nobody wants. :D

Peter36
2nd December 2005, 10:19 PM
A bit late in the piece after all those good comments , but that's one nice box Gumby . Like the idea of the camphor dividers.
Peter:)

zenwood
2nd December 2005, 11:05 PM
Nice box, G. I'm yet to make one big enough for dividers, but you're starting to inspire me.

We need a photo of the back so we can see what stops the lid flipping all the way backwards.

jow104
3rd December 2005, 02:24 AM
Blimey Gumby,
you will soon be catching me up (18 boxes at the moment:) )

Must admit though yours do look nice.