PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Hinge Jig

Damienol
28th June 2021, 09:50 PM
Hi WWF,

Does anyone know what European hinges you can use with the Kreg Jig - KREG Concealed Hinge Jig KR-KHI-HINGE | Total Tools (https://www.totaltools.com.au/114206-kreg-concealed-hinge-jig-khi-hinge?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5uWGBhCTARIsAL70sLJ_eQO8SqJF3oUMSAtwA9keWVqXjMUYspSvrKEjr76FIor0-7TvXMgaAsb4EALw_wcB)

I have had mine for years and am yet to find a brand of hinge that it is designed for.

Admittedly I have only tried Blum and Hafele [emoji4]

Cheers
Damien

verawood
28th June 2021, 10:21 PM
Never 100% sure but I hope this helps.

Cabinet Hinges - Bunnings Australia (https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/general-hardware/cabinet-hardware/cabinet-hinges)

Damienol
28th June 2021, 11:01 PM
Tnx but not sure what I am looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Ash
29th June 2021, 07:53 AM
Hi D. Aren't all hinges designed to sit in a 35mm hole? If the Kreg jig doesn't suit that then I don't think it will suit any

Damienol
29th June 2021, 07:57 AM
The 35mm hole placement is usually OK, the guide for the screw pilot holes is never in the same spot

PFH
29th June 2021, 08:42 AM
You can adjust the offset - some need a half mm increment but I've just picked the closest whole mm and it's within the adjustment range of the hinge itself.

Honestly though, I wouldn't buy that jig again - I would just use the paper templates that you get with the hinges. The depth required is usually the full depth of the head of the Forstner bit. This style of hinge is really forgiving, as long as you make a reasonable attempt at accuracy to start with.

Chief Tiff
29th June 2021, 08:53 AM
I use a much simpler Hafele jig that only marks the 35mm hole centre, you have to manually drill the hole using either a drill press or a drill guide. I then insert the hinge and use a self-centering guide bit to drill the fixing screw holes.

What I like about my simple jig is that it auto aligns the door to the carcase. The other side of the jig either marks out the fixing holes for the other half of the hinge or locks into pre-drilled System 32 holes and shows exactly where on the door to drill the 35mm holes.

verawood
29th June 2021, 10:48 AM
Tnx but not sure what I am looking at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a photo from the Kreg product video, and a link to similar hinges at Bunnings

Damienol
29th June 2021, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys

Confirms my suspicions that my money would have been better spent in other ways

Damienol
8th July 2021, 09:57 PM
Worked out that it only fully works for hinges with the 45/9.5 drilling pattern.

How hard would it be for Kreg to put that in the product specs!!!!