PDA

View Full Version : Which Drill ??????

MICKYG
4th December 2005, 07:39 AM
Hi all, which drill would you buy ? Looking for a 10mm non hammer drill corded. Have looked at the Makita and Hitachi, both look ok. Hitachi DV10VC2 which appears ok. Anyone have one of these drills like to comment.

They are fairly new on the market and are quite stumpy with relatively low speed. I have a cordless Makita, a small cordless Ryobi, a corded ryobi (Cheap and Yuccy) and a D13 corded Hitachi which is a 13mm drill tripple geared 500 rpm and is quite a powerhouse. Santa Claus has said I would be getting a drill for xmas but I have to choose.

Regards Mike:D

Ivan in Oz
4th December 2005, 08:05 AM
Mike,
I have 3 Metabo Cordless [Battery drills]
9.6V, 14.4 V and a 12V ( I think it's a 12V)
and
2 x 13mm 240v Metabo H/Drills, Rarely use the Hammer Mode;
What else can I recommend:confused:

Guess what brand Screw Gun I have:D

Also have an Ozito and it's a POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:
but I'm over it now:(

Studley 2436
4th December 2005, 08:43 AM
I'm a Makita man myself. Never been let down by any of their gear.

Studley

Wood Butcher
4th December 2005, 09:09 AM
We have both the Makita and Hitachi at work. The Hitachi is new and runs well, the Makita we have had for 13 years and it still never misses a beat. They are both bloody good drills!!

Zed
4th December 2005, 10:41 AM
I've had good experiences with makita, hitachi, bosch and metabo. all good.

question; why limit to 10mm and non hammer when going to 13mm and hammer is not much more expensive ? the specials etc are usually better for these commonly sold models too.

I've had an old bosch green 13mm variable speed 750w for 15yrs and it still does the dirty work for me. my new mak 13mm var. speed 750w gets used for harder work, when the batt drill is charging and in cleaner environments (eg in the house).

a man cant have too many tools after all.... :-)

simply put if you stay with the quality brands its much of a muchness, which has best deal on the day and which one you like the feel of.

good luck

Spooky
4th December 2005, 10:56 AM
Also have an Ozito and it's a POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Ozito" is ancient Aramaic for landfill.

I have a tailed Makita which just won't quit. It has done a ton of work and gets uglier, but not tired.

Ashore
4th December 2005, 11:12 AM
Was given a new makita 10mm cord drill 14 years ago done a mass of work only problim it has a keyed chuck , never got around to changing it
Keyless would be better/ necessary that is

Rgds

Ashore

Bodgy
5th December 2005, 11:35 AM
I have had a Bosch, same as Zed, for maybe 12 yrs. It has been used constantly, and abused, and is still as good as ever.

E. maculata
5th December 2005, 05:01 PM
A bosch likes Zeds for years, An old Hitachi percussion/hammer for even longer, its onlly problem is the speeds are too high, other than that excellent, and an makita ultimate 14.4v for a year, an absolute pearler, best cordless I've ever used certainly better than all of its predecessors & worth every cent of the $xxxx(thou shall not utter the amount ever again even in jest) I paid for it (paid for it twice, once at mitre10, then again when I got home:o )

MICKYG
5th December 2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replies and Zed the reason for sticking with a 10mm drill is I already have a 13mm D13 Hitachi. I would like something a bit lighter for every day use. I have a preference for non hammer and a quick change chuck. You can actually buy a 13mm hammer drill cheaper than a straight corded 10mm Drill.

I had a beaut little Skil drill which was fantastic but unfortunately after 23 years it died of old age and hard work. I used it for everything and used for driving screws of all sorts. I am torn between the Hitachi mentioned in my first post and maybe a good Cordless. I already have an old cordless Makita which is getting a bit tired. Thanks for your input, but I am still pondering

Kind regards Mike;)

Bodgy
5th December 2005, 09:54 PM
The old Skils were great. I've still got a 20yr old 10mm one, which makes all sorts of funny noises and sparks fly out everywhere, but it keeps going and going. Must have been the first of the variable speed drills, too.

MurrayD99
6th December 2005, 12:17 PM
You might look at the Hitachi DW-15Y - It is classed as a superdrill - been around a long time, has a collar to change between drill and screwdriver mode (heavy-dutyclutch mechanism) if you want. Nice weight. For a long time, this was my only drill and it's still my favourite.http://img.epinions.com/images/opti/fd/0c/Hitachi_DW15Y_3_8_2600_RPM_Electric_Drill_Shop_Tools-resized80.gif (http://www.epinions.com/Hitachi_DW15Y_3_8_2600_RPM_Electric_Drill_Shop_Tools)

be interested to hear what you decide..... Regards

Al B
6th December 2005, 05:32 PM
Mike
When I started my apprenticeship approx 25yrs ago I bought my first drill a Hitachi, (See attached Photo) I wanted a small drill that was light to drill holes into sheetmetal for pop rivets, it has drilled thousands and thousands of holes and its still going strong, although its not used as much nowadays. In all that time the only thing that I had to replace is the cord which had been damaged when some sheetmetal fell and sliced through it. I own both Makita and Hitachi and think both are excellent and will give you many years service.

Edd
7th December 2005, 08:40 PM
Also have an Ozito and it's a POS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad:
lol! $17.95 for a drill doesn't usually go very far :p

Eastie
7th December 2005, 08:51 PM
Zed summed it up (I must give him a greenie for being serious!) - why limit it to a non-hammer/10mm? weight isn't that much different.
The feature most lacking in corded drill imo is a clutch. Anyhow - have a look at the 2 pages of "runout specials" on this site - they are normally fairly competitive in their pricing and may give you an idea of what's reasonable.

http://www.justtools.com.au

ele__13
13th December 2005, 03:40 PM
well i have a jules speed one one of the old fashioned wind the handle types ( well i love it )
its good for what i want it for and it works ...

so hey if i was to have a new one i would by an orange triton plunge one a corded one i like the
its a makita cheers all
jules

MICKYG
14th December 2005, 08:20 AM
Thanks to all for the input. I do not want a 13mm drill with a hammer function so have opted for the Hitachi D10VC2 10mm keyless chuck, short length, forward and reverse, 0 to 2300 rpm, similar to the one pictured above. As i have stated before you can buy a 13mm hammer drill cheaper than the one I have opted for.

Santa will be delivering it

Have a great XMAS all

Regards Mike.:D :D :D :D :D