PDA

View Full Version : plans for simple step stool

colbra
24th July 2021, 01:13 AM
Hi all I think I must be shrinking !
I am sure that, I could reach that top shelf a year or two ago.
Not aloud to stand on a bucket.So as any one out there have a simple plan for a step stool please.
Regards colbra :)

Fuzzie
24th July 2021, 01:01 PM
shaker step stool - Google Search (https://www.google.com/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=shaker+step+stool)

Bendigo Bob
24th July 2021, 01:07 PM
Love this one Fuzzie
Could make the 'riser' just the right height for you Colbra. And you get to show off your dovetailing skills to boot :)

Bendigo Bob
24th July 2021, 01:08 PM
Something to hold on to seems reassuring to me. (Bugger, I'm turning 70 next year and soon I'll be having to build one too)

crowie
24th July 2021, 02:36 PM
Check your email Col, Cheers Peter

colbra
25th July 2021, 10:33 PM
Love this one Fuzzie
Could make the 'riser' just the right height for you Colbra. And you get to show off your dovetailing skills to boot :)

Hi Bob I was wondering if you have made this step stool and if so did you use a template to cut the dove tales like the ones at Timbercon

I have the Gifkens jig and after your appreciated reply to my thread on the step stool I may invest in a set of the Timbercon Torquata Layout set of dove tail templates Thanks again Col
regards colbra :)

colbra
25th July 2021, 10:55 PM
Hi Franklin first off thank you for your input there is certainly a lot of step stools out there I have got a copy of this shaker step stool or a should say after I pay five US dollars I will have one.
Regards colbra :)

Bendigo Bob
25th July 2021, 10:55 PM
No, not mine Col. I've made a few without the riser to hold on to. I did hand cut dovetails though, and made them a bit thickish for strength, figured strength was more important than looks for something that SWAMBO is using to reach up into the clothes dryer. She has the shelf the dryer is on to hang onto.

The other one was for the daughter, same setup.

I'm really liking that design though, and might make it to occupy a corner of the kitchen.

(as an aside, I broke a bone in my foot once using the middle shelf of a cupboard to step up onto. Man, that was stupid. Incidentally, almost the entire 'good' dinner set went down with me too. SWAMBO was MOST unimpressed, and unsympathetic as she got me of to emergency - good argument for the stool, but that was many years ago, before my woodworking)

colbra
25th July 2021, 10:59 PM
Hi Pete thanks for your input and the plan as always you come to my rescue :)
Regards Col :)

prozac
9th August 2021, 11:06 PM
Nice looking stool. Where do I find the plans?

crowie
10th August 2021, 10:25 PM
Nice looking stool. Where do I find the plans?

Fine Woodworking #266 from January/February 2018