PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Air Compressor Electric Vs Motor

NewLou
4th December 2005, 09:09 PM
Gidday:)

Well I've been saving my pennies and HAve come to a crossroads in decision making time!!!.............I'm thinking of buying an Air Compressor and have no idea what to look out for!!!

I've done a few searches and have got some great info. My dilema at this stage is wether to go with electric or motor. I'm planning on using air tools and spraying in the future eventually kitting out to Brad Nailers; Staplers, ROS, spray gun etc etc.

Can anyone please give me some direction here................I'm a little confused and not to sure what way to go!!!!!

Regards Lou:confused::confused::o:o

Wizened of Oz
4th December 2005, 10:27 PM
Lou, The only reason to get a petrol engined compressor would be portability. Are you going to be carrying it around in a ute to work sites? If not then electric motor is the only way to go. If I was buying a compressor here I would go to Trade Tools for a recommendation. I don't know who you would see in Wagga Wagga, but go to a trade supply house, not your local hardware bloke or Bunnings.
Reckon you'll get more accurate info there than here.

Kind regards
Brian

Wood Butcher
4th December 2005, 10:27 PM
Hi Lou, glad to have you back.

I know a couple of blokes that have compressors with petrol motors on them. They reckon that you should only get one if you have to. The motor is always running in the background when you need air, especially with spraying I think that a petrol churning away at full pelt in the background would me off, not to mention the fumes.

Unless you really think that you will need it, go for electric. Worst case you can always get a little generator which you could sit outside to keep the fumes and noise away.:D

johnc
4th December 2005, 10:51 PM
I've got an older 12cfm with a Honda engine which is supposed to be quieter than some. It has to be kept in a ventilated space aka outside when in use, it frightens the chooks and sends the neighbours deaf:rolleyes: . It is always running even if only on idle, unlike electric which shuts up and leaves you alone when the tank is full. I am careful when using it in regard to time of day, never at night, you get the general idea. It was bought because it was originally used well away from electric power, and I inherited it from my father, but one of these days I'll go out and get an electric one and the petrol unit can rust in the shed. For what its worth they are not worth converting it's cheaper to by a Chinese unit.

My two bobs worth is unless you are doing alot of work away from 240V get an electric model, petrol is a pia.

NewLou
4th December 2005, 10:55 PM
Good on Yas!:)

Thx Fellas really appreciate the advise and sounds spot on................what features should I be looking out for in a Phase1 Compressor???

I'm a compressor No-Nothing!!!!!!......................but now I've got a half decent shed its time to take the plunge on a few of the bigger purchases!!!!

All suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

REgards Lou:confused:

Barry_White
4th December 2005, 11:13 PM
Lou

You want to buy as big as you can afford in single phase as well as a belt driven model. The direct drive units are too noisy. I have to put mine outside the shed or put my ear muffs on. The bigger you get the less cycling it will do.

Do you have a Gasweld near you. If you have you would get good advice as well as a good deal. As there ads say "Selling Tools Not Toys"

Ashore
4th December 2005, 11:17 PM

. I'm planning on using air tools and spraying in the future eventually kitting out to Brad Nailers; Staplers, ROS, spray gun etc etc.

:confused::confused::o:o
Depends on the rate of use
Brad nailers staplers spraying ( slowly) can be done with cheepest 9-11 cf units
Some air tools , sanders rotary units some spray guns etc use larger quantities of air and need larger more expensive units.
What air tools are you planing to use :confused:
For a woodie who is as far into the dark side as you my advice is go with a cheeper package unit ( super cheep , repco etc) test the waters then move to where you want to be after selling the old unit ( if necessary ) on the way

I still have the cheep unit , put up with its shortcomings because I only need a larger unit 2-3 times a year and can live with that

Rgds

Ashore

MurrayD99
5th December 2005, 09:12 AM
Good on Yas!:)

Thx Fellas really appreciate the advise and sounds spot on................what features should I be looking out for in a Phase1 Compressor???

All suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

Lou, I learned the hard way... bought a 2.5 hp 40 litre direct-drive compressor that just simply would not keep up with the spray gun, so it ran continuously, got very, very hot, and even then, didn't deliver enough air. I sold it at a loss to an upholsterer and it is fine for him. My replacement is a 16cfm (it actually delivers just on 10cfm free air), belt drive, 3 cylinder machine that is about perfect as far as I can determine. It has a sort of decompressor switch so the motor goes into free running mode when it doesn't need to be pumping - then cuts in when the tank pressure falls. It has a 3hp motor that looks the same as the one on the TSC-10HB saw and it runs no problem off a regular plug with a beefed up motor fuse. A few years ago in FWW there was an article on air/workshops... "buy the biggest you can afford" was the bottom line. I don't think direct drive is the way to go if you are looking at spraying (or sanding). One last word.... I think compressors is the last free range for misleading labels on capacity/performance. If it says "10 cfm" it is probably only 6.... Good luck

Simomatra
5th December 2005, 11:10 AM
Lou, The only reason to get a petrol engined compressor would be portability. Are you going to be carrying it around in a ute to work sites? If not then electric motor is the only way to go. If I was buying a compressor here I would go to Trade Tools for a recommendation. I don't know who you would see in Wagga Wagga, but go to a trade supply house, not your local hardware bloke or Bunnings.
Reckon you'll get more accurate info there than here.

Kind regards
Brian

Lou

Same as Brian. I purchased an equivalent of the Tradetools R13 many years ago when I was contracting. It has also been loaned to a coach builder friend and worked great no problems. Fairly quite needs a 15 amp circuit though.

From memory it is over 12 years and has given excellent service.

Current price in yesterday paper was $698. They say a price riseis on the way. the link below may assist

They used to sell kits as well with the complete workshop in one bundle.

It may also be worth looking at the second hand market, they come up from time to time
http://www.tradetools.com.au/ProdView.aspx?popup=1&Product=RP13E

Hope this assists
Cheers Sam

Greg Q
7th December 2005, 12:53 PM
If there is an Alltools/QAir outlet near you have a look at the Pilot range of compressors. They are Australian made* and have great specs and a reasonable price for a "buy once" unit.

Reputable compressor mfg. belong to the Compressed Air Association. Their products carry a label showing the true free air delivery rating. My compressor's big label, the one everyone compares, is 15cfm. The small label says 10 cfm. It seems that the real flow is approx 60% of whatever the headline figure used in the advertising.

This unit was only $30.00 more than the 12 CFM, and was highly recommended by several sources before I bought it. Other good brands seem to be McMillan and Ingersol Rand.

*as much as that is possible these days. (it has a 2.2kw TECO motor, everything else is, I think, locally made.)

I hope this helps

NewLou
7th December 2005, 09:19 PM

Yup once again some great tips here!! I have also heard McMillan are a good once only buy. I've been tralling the Net and have come across a few crackers here:

http://secure.global.net.au/otcgi-bin/otsb.obn?P:0:1:https://secure.global.net.au+G+transquip+file2+air_tools_wt_compressors:1:10:C:WTD3017

This is the one I've got my eye on at this stage. Shes pricey but I'd consider her a one of buy that I'll eventually be one of the workhorses of my shop!!!!

Any better alternative suggestions really appreciated!!!!

REgards lou:D:D;)

echnidna
7th December 2005, 09:27 PM
Well I don't mind the cheapies. They will handle a spraygun unless yer into painting cars and trucks for a living.

But they are right hand left arm tools.

When they stuffup grab em in yer right hand and throw em over yer left shoulder.

MurrayD99
8th December 2005, 08:41 AM

.....This is the one I've got my eye on at this stage. Shes pricey but I'd consider her a one of buy that I'll eventually be one of the workhorses of my shop!!!!....

REgards lou:D:D;)

Lou, that is pretty much identical to my 3 cyl 3 HP device and the price is good - less than I paid and I got a deal. I don't think you'll regret this for a minute, well, after the credit card thing has gone away. Regards

Simomatra
8th December 2005, 10:13 AM
Looks good Lou

Mine is a smaller unit but the design is similar

Enjoy

Samhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif

NewLou
20th December 2005, 07:54 AM

Well I've finally got my new compressor on order. I just realised that I'm totally green when it comes to larger machinery!!!!

Could members please give me some advise on the kind of things I should buy to 'kit up' my compressor.

I think there are quick release attachments? is there an industry standard? what would you buy as a starters kit to build upon?

Are there any 'must have accessories' that compressor owners just can't be without??

All suggestions really appreciated!!!!

MurrayD99
20th December 2005, 08:09 AM
Hey Lou, this will look good in the shed! You'll need some hoses and, depending on what compressor you bought a regulator/moisture trap. I run the nailer/stapler directly off the compressor but I run the spray gun off the regulator so I can control pressure. I'm going to get around to plumbing it properly one day. There is advice in FWW about how to run the pipes, putting in drain taps etc.... Good one. Regards

Greg Q
20th December 2005, 08:21 AM
Hi Lou...

I purchased a retractable hose reel when I got my compressor-8mm hose. Now I wish that I had opted for the larger reel of 10mm hose, both for reach and air capacity.

There are at least two different standard quick-disconnect fittings. The few people I know with industrial set-ups use Nitto fittings, so I do too. They are not too much money, and there are always some on eBay.

I am mounting a small air manifold on my workbench so that I can quickly plug in a blow gun (great for cleaning out handplanes) and a small nailer. I bought a cheapo 18ga nailer that works very well and is great for jig building etc*

*wear safety glasses. I now have a nice scar 1cm below my right eye where
a brad bounced off a hidden knot and then tried to bury itself in my face.

(almost) Dead-eye Greg

redwood
20th December 2005, 08:37 AM
Lou

I have to put mine outside the shed or put my ear muffs on.

Bazz will putting earmuffs on your compressor make it quieter:confused:

Barry_White
20th December 2005, 10:21 AM
Bazz will putting earmuffs on your compressor make it quieter:confused:

Redwood

I don't know if it helps the compressor because it just sits there and roars at me, but it certainly helps me if I put them on me.

See pic 1 of the compressor wearing ear muffs.

Lou.

As shown I have my compressor outside and I have set up an inlet in the wall to connect to Pic 2. The golf tee stuck in the hole is to stop the keyhole wasps from building their nests in it. I've already had to clean it out once because I forgot to put the golf tee back after using it.

Pic 3 shows the the compressor set up outside.

Pic 4 Is my suspension arm that swings through a 180° arc to use an air hose or two power tools from.

Ashore
20th December 2005, 11:57 AM
Lou
As to fittings I went with the quick couplers that were on the two 20meter hoses I bought as these were swaged on
Whatever fittings you use make them all the same, change each and every tool as you get it keep some spares, there is nothing worse than having to change fittings each time you wan't to use a diffrent tool
Some fittings look the same but they need to be identical to ensure no air leaks cause even a very small leak will play havoc on your compressors efficiency and running time.
Always use good quality thread tape on all tapered threads,( never on parallel threads)

With all your air tools make a point of pouring a drop or two of oil into the tool air fitting before you connect it up , and after 20 minutes of use oil again, (not spray gear of course) this will stop the tool from seizing up on you . I use an Aussie product Jamec-Pem Air Oil
Some people preffer a dedicated in line oiler but I feel it can leave a residue of oil in the hose ,and if you one day connect this to a spray gun may give you a problem .
The other thing with in line oilers is that they are easily forgotten and run out of oil.

Rgds

Ashore

NewLou
20th December 2005, 09:50 PM
Thx Fellas:D

REally appreciate that. Heres a great little tutorial on air compressors that I stumbled across:

http://www.energysolutionscenter.org/Learn/Air_Compressor_Tutorial.htm

love the ear muffs BArry :D :D :D

REgards Lou:)

NewLou
27th December 2005, 11:40 AM
Gidday:D

Well I've decided to go with gregoryq's suggestion to check out Nitto Gear. Not hard to find the Aussie distributor but man just in ther hose and couplers section alone there are 38 listed different products???

http://www.nitto-australia.com.au/

WHere to from here? greg mentioned the merits of 10mm hose but what type? what type of couplers should I go with? If I want to strategically set up a few outlets round the shop & in the workbench whats the best way to go about it?

I've looked out for a book on compressors n accessories for idiots but I've had no luck???

HELP GUYS :confused: :confused: :confused:

REgards Lou:o :o :o

Greg Q
27th December 2005, 07:00 PM
Gidday:D

Well I've decided to go with gregoryq's suggestion to check out Nitto Gear. Not hard to find the Aussie distributor but man just in ther hose and couplers section alone there are 38 listed different products???

http://www.nitto-australia.com.au/

WHere to from here? greg mentioned the merits of 10mm hose but what type? what type of couplers should I go with? If I want to strategically set up a few outlets round the shop & in the workbench whats the best way to go about it?

I've looked out for a book on compressors n accessories for idiots but I've had no luck???

HELP GUYS :confused: :confused: :confused:

REgards Lou:o :o :o

Hi Lou...

Yeah, it does get confusing with all of the options, doesn't it.

Here's what I have learned so far:

Get a roll of 10mm hose-its cheap and durable, and you can mount it pretty much like garden hose along the walls to where you want your plug-ins to be.

There are much better solutions to this, like the plastic 1" line, but all of the fittings, elbows etc spike the price quickly. The smaller the line the greater the pressure and flow drops with distance.

SMC and Festo regulators and filters are top notch-you can often find them on ebay for less than half of the new price. Sometimes much less than that. (A friend mounted two SMC water mist separators in his shop at $300.00 each.:eek: I didn't have the heart to tell him of finding two new ones on ebay for $15.00 each.:)

The most common fiting size is 1/4". Every air tool that I have seen so far uses this standard. I bought some 1/4" barbed connectors to fit 10mm hose and provide a male or female threaded end. Also get several quick connectors-a male for each tool and a female for the end of each hose that you are going to install.

I have a filter/reg on the compressor, and two separate stations downstream. One has an oiler and a dedicated line for nailers and air wrenches (What's Christmas without a little rattle gun action to amuse the neighbours). I am not too sure about this as I expect that one day I'll use this oil-contaminated line with my spray gun.

The other station has another reg, filter and the mist separators. this is of course dedicated for the spray gun.

I am going to change to a simple manifold with a coil hose on my workbench for utility air.

more later

Greg

NewLou
27th December 2005, 10:53 PM
Thx greg really appreciate your reply:)

Any chance of posting some pics of the gadgets your talking about soz I've got a bit of an idea what to look out for???

Regards Lou:D :D :D

Greg Q
27th December 2005, 11:13 PM
Good evening NewLou...

Pictures I can do tomorrow, no problems. Let me find a few ebay links in the meantime.

Greg

Greg Q
27th December 2005, 11:23 PM
Here are some ebay listings of the items that I mentioned:

4428768052. This is the third attempt to sell this, has no gauge and shipping is unknown, but this is the kind of thing that I was speaking of. Larger ports are better-3/8" is probably ideal, and the hose barbs are commonly available.

7575220897. This guy always has nitto fittings cheap. I haven't bought from him, but it looks like he carries everything that you'd need. I don't think that you have to buy genuine Nitto, but I will defer to anybody who has a strong opinion on this. My stuff is generic, and so far, so good.

Let me know if you'd like more...

Greg

NewLou
27th December 2005, 11:32 PM
Thanx greg I'll check em out

REgards Lou:)

q9
28th December 2005, 02:04 AM
Marvelous thread...no need for me to post my question...thanks guys :)

smeds
28th December 2005, 10:18 AM
just to throw my hat in, don't forget to always drain your tank to keep the moisture out of it, compressed air builds up an incredible amount of moisture and will eventually leave you with rust in your tank, a big no no. As for the safety side of things don't be foolish and dust yourself down with a air duster at the end of a days work, compressed air comes out at high forces, it can and has been known to be injected along with the moisture into foolish people doing this, the end result is not very pretty so if yo are covered in dust use a bannister brush, much more safe.

Greg Q
28th December 2005, 02:59 PM
:) Smeds makes good sense and does us all a service with his reminder of the dangers of compressed air.

This is something that I always forget to mention-the application of good sense and sound practices. I shall try and find a link to info on do's and don'ts of air installations.

WRT the draining of tanks: There is a guy on ebay usa who sells bekomat automatic drains. The catch is you need a friend to forward it to you as he will not ship offshore. I have a nifty automatic drain that vents out the tank moisture. It IS large however, and almost scrapes the floor in the trial installation. I'm looking for a better solution presently. I never would have opted for this as they are around $350.00 here. Ebay price? a low, low $19.00 shipped. I really, really like us govement surplus sales:) :)

Greg

NewLou
29th December 2005, 12:13 AM

Heres a few really handy websites that I've stumbled across. Firstly a good site with some general information about compressors and accessories:

http://www.bobvila.com/ArticleLibrary/Subject/Tools/Power_Tools/AirTools.html
http://www.ultimategarage.com/compress.html
http://wolfstone.halloweenhost.com/TechBase/pnuint_PneumaticIntro.html

A good introduction to the basics of air compressors and setting up accessories:

http://www.phantasmechanics.com/air/index.html
http://www.ch601.org/tools/compressed_workshop.htm
http://truetex.com/aircompressors.htm

And a great How to guide suggesting possible portable & stationary setup options:

http://aircompressorsdirect.com/catalog/ACD_accessories.php
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/compressor/connectors/manifold2.htm
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/compressor/drain/ball_valve.htm

I found these sites really clarified a lot of things for me. I hope you get as much from them as I did!!! Also have added a few more links to origional post!!!!

REgards Lou:D :D :D

NewLou
29th December 2005, 11:19 AM
Gidday:D :D :D

Well my Compressor Finally arrived!! Whoooo Hooooo!!!

I'm gonna fondly refer to it as the HULK!!! Big green n mean!!! Hasent taken to long to hook everything up BUT not sure what these plastic things are (yer I know don't laugh!!!)

They look like some kind a screw in air filters but I'm not sure??? Can Anyone help:confused: :confused: :confused:

ARe there any setup tips (Other than tightening everything up and filling her with oil) that I need to do before I crank her up!!!!

This is an exciting day for me today fellas................My first piece of big 15 amp machinery:D :D :D

IS this the first big step into the light for a DarkSider????

I think not:p

REgards Lou :D :D :D :D :D

Auld Bassoon
29th December 2005, 05:20 PM
G'day Lou!

Mate! That thing's going to dim the lights in Wagga- when you start it up - and maybe even a bit in -Wagga :D

I think that you're right in that there would seem to be a separate air filter for each cylinder.

Cheers!

Barry_White
29th December 2005, 07:48 PM
Man that is a monster. There will certainly be no shortage of air out of that.

Termite
29th December 2005, 07:54 PM
ARe there any setup tips (Other than tightening everything up and filling her with oil) that I need to do before I crank her up!!!!
Watch your oil level....don't overfill or some interesting things can happen, some of them expensive.

routermaniac
29th December 2005, 11:21 PM
Termite you're not talking from personal experience there are you???? :D :D :D

NewLou
12th January 2006, 09:45 AM

Well today's the big day time to kick the Hulk over and run her in before I start putting a load on the bearings with a tank of compressed air.

This is also the first test of my hanging 15AMP plug!!

I filled her up with oil n checked her over as per the manual. The first little challenge I came across was finding the air reciever service valve. On my compressor this is located on the bottom side of the tank. (See Pics)

Finally I kicked her over and Lug lug lug lug lug!!!!

Off she went with no Dramas. And yer all the boys are right these puppies are LOUD!!!!

Its been a great DAY!..................I've successfully kicked over my first BIG MACHINE!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO.......................GO THE HULK!!!!

I'll share my air compressor journey as I go so that newbies to big machinery like me I'll have a rough guide in regards to how to go about things!!!

I'm over cautious with new engines so I'll run the Hulk for 3 Half our sessions under no load before I start putting her to work.

This should ensure the engines run in!!!

REgards Lou:D:D:D

Ashore
12th January 2006, 11:19 AM
Lou
I would run up to 4-5 psi after running on load for 1/2 hr to check cut outs then op to full load (the 3 x 1/2 hour no load sessions arn't realy necessary).

Then check the oil after is has stopped for 3-4 mins ( beware of the unit starting while checking or topping up the oil embaressing to say the least)
and drain the tank

Be wear of draining the tank too often the drain valves have a limited life and once they start to leak need to be replaced , overhauling can be tricky

The shed's a dusty place so take extra caution to clean the area around the filler/ dipstick before cheching , topping up

Last take Termites warning to heart , bad things will happen if overfilled.

Rgds

Michael Breen
12th January 2006, 06:57 PM
This thread has been most informative and a great tutorial. Thanks all. My difficulty is slightly different from the original NewLou, though someone may be able to offer assistance. I recently bught a compressor from a neighbour. Have not brought it home yet as the Toyota was out of ordrer. However, it has no tank and a Honda 5.5 engine with a belt drive. It also has a water pump at the other end of the base, which can be driven by a belt from the same motor. What I am wondering is whether it ca be converted t take a tank, and or how you operate without one. We are out in the bush here and have solar panels and batteries, so I am not keen to overload the system.
What I mainly want it for is pumping tyres and cleaning tools and filters on the chain saw. As I have observed from the thread they are costly beasts and then there is all the tricky stuff about setting them up which I was unaware of until I came across this great thead. I must say I am not particularly mechanically sophistocated.

Greg Q
12th January 2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Michael...

How was it plumbed before? No tank?. You can certainly pump up tyres without a tank, but one is needed for almost everything else.

MurrayD99
16th January 2006, 08:53 AM
Gidday:D :D :D

Well my Compressor Finally arrived!! Whoooo Hooooo!!!

I'm gonna fondly refer to it as the HULK!!! Big green n mean!!!

REgards Lou :D :D :D :D :D

Lou, just caught up on your acquisition photos. Good decision... Looks a lot like the one I got and I am soooooo impressed. You gotta get a stapler/bradder - give it some work! I'll be following you air tools research with interest. There is a hand-held pneumatic drum sander that Grizzly advertise, saw a picture of it in FWW ages ago - runs off a straight air drill.... it is on my list. Best regards

MurrayD99
17th January 2006, 07:46 AM
. There is a hand-held pneumatic drum sander that Grizzly advertise, saw a picture of it in FWW ages ago - runs off a straight air drill.... it is on my list. Best regards

This is the sander Lou. I'm sure it will appeal to a darksider. http://www.grizzly.com/products/H2882

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg288/H/H2882.jpg

HD200Renegade
27th June 2007, 10:00 PM
Looks like a lint collector! :D

Tas_Dean
30th June 2007, 02:40 PM
I know you have already made your purchase, but I thought I would add my experience for others considering purchasing a compressor.

I bought a cheapy 2.5 hp direct drive with a 40L tank. I also bought a tool kit containing a rattle gun, air ratchet, air hammer and some other accessories. I bought decent air hose as the coily thing that comes with them are an absolute waste of space on anything that needs a reasonable air supply. I bought a second hand air drill.

I found that it wouldn't keep up air supply to the air ratchet and rattle gun. But it was the regulator that was limiting supply. I could hear the air hissing through the regulator after stopping the tool, an obvious restriction. So I bought a good regulator with decent sized fittings, and now it keeps up. But I also had trouble with tools rusting up, so I bought a water trap.

I then wandered into a BOC outlet looking for something, can't remember what. I saw a belt drive compressor, pre fitted with a decent regulator, a decent water trap. It came with all of the tools I mention above, and 20 metres of reasonable air hose. It was $650 for the kit.

When I thought about what I spent on my "cheap" compressor, I would have been far better off buying the $650 kit at BOC. And that's without shopping around for any other prices.

My compressor was $200, the rattle gun kit $150, $50 for a decent water trap. I picked up the regulator second hand, but spent about twenty dollars on adaptors. 20M of hose fitted is around $30, a second hand air drill was $50, and then there are quick change connectors to be bought for each tool, and so on. And I'm still stuck with a noisy direct drive compressor, and when the motor dies it will be a throw away job, as buying a replacement motor to bolt up would cost more than a new compressor!

Some food for thought!

Jeff@G
10th August 2007, 01:05 AM
Hey there NewLou

Well you've had your WTD3017 for a while now... What do you think? I'm in the market for one myself at the moment and see that transquip.com.au has them for a grand (+del).

But WTD has no presence in SA so I'm after a little intel about the product. You see, I don't generally like spending a thousand of the hard earned on something that I've only ever seen photo's of...:no:. Hence this query.
The hulk does look the business. Have you done much spraying with it? Any reliability problems? Lived up to expectations? Would you recommend one to your mates?

I only want to buy one compressor over the next 10+ years so it needs to be a good one. Any input here is appreciated.

NewLou
12th August 2007, 11:11 AM
Hey Jeff

Have PM u M8 good luck with ur decision n be sure to let us know how u got on!

Regards Lou :D:D:D

Big Shed
12th August 2007, 11:53 AM
Hey Jeff

Have PM u M8 good luck with ur decision n be sure to let us know how u got on!

Regards Lou :D:D:D

I'm probably an old fashioned old phart, but I HATE SMS "language"!:((

I'm sure it makes SMS easier and quicker, but I don't think there is a place for it anywhere else:no:

Jeff@G
12th August 2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the reply Lou, it was helpful.
There are a couple of queries that I haven't been able to solve by looking at photo's yet...
I'm looking to see if there is a small plastic tube running from the tank air pressure electrical cut-off switch (Small black box between compressor & electric motor), and the fitting where the air from the pump enters the tank.
This tubing carries air at compressor pressure (The fitting where the pump air enters the tank is a one way valve, so "upstream" of this fitting is pump pressure.) to the electrical cut off switch.
When the tank pressure reaches cut-off, the electrical switch cuts power to the electric motor, but it also opens a valve on the end of that black plastic tube I'm looking for... The result is the release of pressure from the compressor pump - It "Unloads" the compressor.
The primary benefit of this is that when the compressor starts again the load on the electric motor is massively reduced (I'm sure the hulk has this feature, but haven't seen a picture that will confirm it.). Some of the compressors on the market have an electrical start up surge of over 20Amps, this "unloading" of the compressor pump goes a long way to addressing this issue. It can also double the life of the electric motor.
Surprisingly, not all compressors have this.
Easiest way to tell if the compressor has this feature is if there is a loud "pssst" of air AS the compressor stops charging the tank.

The other thing I wanted to know is how many drive belts the hulk has?

Thanks again for being forthright with your info & opinions.
Cheers
Jeff

NewLou
13th August 2007, 07:40 PM
Hey Jeffis definately the Pppfsssssssssss at the end of a charge to the tank n as far as I know is just the one drive bltWill check on this for u on the weekend Good luck with it m8Rgds Lou :-)