PDA

View Full Version : old Hyco bandsaw bearings replacement

Pat the Rat
7th August 2021, 08:33 PM
I have an older Hyco bandsaw (circa 1950's??) in which the lower wheel bearings are starting to seize up. I don't have the expertise to even know where to start with this, and being up in the Northern Rivers hinterland area, am fairly isolated. The bearings appear to be nestled within the machine's chassis, given that the driveshaft goes all the way through said chassis. There is a spring-loaded oil cap in the middle of the chassis, and the shaft is fully enclosed by the chassis' casting. The nut holding the saw wheel is possibly a reverse thread (can't tell), but should come off. after that I'm more than a little lost. Does anyone have any pointers to assist in removing spent bearings, and then replacing them? Nearest town is Lismore, or possibly Ballina, if anyone knows of a reliable engineer's shop.

Thanks for any forthcoming help.....

havabeer69
7th August 2021, 10:16 PM
might help posting a few pictures of the saw and the bearings your trying to replace.

Pat the Rat
7th August 2021, 11:28 PM
I'm not really sure how to post photos, but will try here....

for some odd reason, they've all been rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise. It's the lower (driven) wheel....

It's mounted on a wooden stand, and belt driven: second photo shows belt pulley on right hand side when photo in correct orientation...

Bohdan
8th August 2021, 12:18 AM
As the bearings are designed to be oil lubricated I would check that the oil is actually getting thru to the bearings by checking that there is no blockage in the lubricator and then giving it a heavy dose of penetrating oil and run the saw without the blade until it comes out each end.

Once the penetrating oil has flushed out the bearings top up with regular oil.

Pat the Rat
8th August 2021, 12:28 AM
Thanks for that Bodhan. Not sure where to source "penetrating oil", but I'll give it a go next week. The way the wheel was jamming up, though, makes me think that the balls may have seen their best days already, possibly due to poor lubrication. Will advise as to outcome.

riverbuilder
8th August 2021, 09:14 AM
Hydraulic Repairs in Ballina | Paul Nielsen Fabrications & Hydraulic (https://www.hydraulicsballina.com.au/)

these guys come recommended.

Pat the Rat
11th August 2021, 10:56 PM
Thanks Riverbuilder. Dropped it off to Paul yesterday: he seems to know what he's about!