PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a subscription to FWW magazine?

Pages : [1] 2

derekcohen
8th August 2021, 12:53 PM
If so, have you been receiving a copy if Fine Woodworking magazine over the past year? That is, is delivery being made?

I ask because I renewed my magazine subscription in February 2021 (it is now August 2021). I have not yet received a copy in all this time! Twice I have reported this to Customer Support. Twice they have emailed back to say that my subscription has been extended to cover the missed period. BUT I have yet to receive a copy, and it is now two publications since the last exchange with CS.

I am fully aware that Covid has wrecked havoc with delivery dates, and that I live in Australia. However, I have received other shipped items from other vendors in a reasonable time frame. Usually within a few weeks. (And if it was a slow delivery at play, I would have received something by now .. nada).

I expect that Customer Support will respond by extending the subscription period yet again, but this does not get me the magazine.

I wonder how many others are experiencing the same issue?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mr Brush
8th August 2021, 01:22 PM
I had a full FWW subscription for 2 years, and never received a single paper copy in that time :((. No help at all from their customer support in response to repeated complaints, and that includes attempts to cancel the subscription when payment came due again. In the end I had to resort to cancelling the credit card used for this subscription, and getting a new card - literally the only way I had to stop them charging me for something they were not delivering.

As far as FWW is concerned, anything outside the US 12-mile limit is just "foreign" - they are completely clueless. I wouldn't be surprised if your copies have been sent to a certain Derek Cohen in Austria....

Great magazine, incompetent admin staff. Never again.

Wrongwayfirst
8th August 2021, 02:01 PM
Seems you are not the only international customer with issue issue’s.

Try a direct email, but you have probably already done that,
cheers

Treecycle
8th August 2021, 02:30 PM
My club has a subscription and the last issue we received was No.287 which would have been some time before April as it was listed in the minutes of the April meeting. I was thinking that it seems a long time since we received a copy.

saladonion
8th August 2021, 04:26 PM
Last issue I received was No. 288 - April 2021 so missing last two.

Edit: Just checked my magazine subscription, it is showing that it is current. Also noticed that last two missing issues via fine woodworking mobile app are not accessible without payment for those issues but the previous ones till April are. I have written to customer service, lets see.

jazzy69
8th August 2021, 04:42 PM
I am still waiting for the current one. I had to complain twice to get the previous issue which was posted within Australia. It came from Melbourne if I remember correctly. Go figure.
Regards,
Ross

AndrewPatrol
8th August 2021, 05:13 PM
This is weird.. I get both paper and electron copies. Tried to stop the paper one to save a tree but it keeps coming. Maybe if you pay the post I’ll send em to you!!!.

malb
8th August 2021, 09:03 PM
I have been on board with them for a number of years and have missed a couple of copies along the way, but can access electronic copies anyway, so I haven't been concerned enough to contact them about it.

I find that the postal system they are using has been slow and varied as to post location most of the time. Generally, I would say that over time I have had more copies posted in Europe than in the US, since the USPS drastically increased rates a number of years ago. It seems that they airfreight to a European location, variable possibly determined by a combination of airfreight costs, space availability and outgoing bulk postage rates. Of old, they used to post direct from the US from memory.

saladonion
8th August 2021, 10:27 PM
This is weird.. I get both paper and electron copies. Tried to stop the paper one to save a tree but it keeps coming. Maybe if you pay the post I’ll send em to you!!!.

Thanks Andrew. That is very generous! While I mostly read online, I am a sucker for paper copies of certain things.

I will let Derek have the first opportunity if he wish.

derekcohen
8th August 2021, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the offer. I do access the online copies, however have paid for the paper version along with postage. I wanted to find out if others are equally affected.

I would be happy just to get the online version, if this option was available. Does anyone know?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Midnight Man
8th August 2021, 11:29 PM
I started missing paper copies about a year ago - actually during the first half of 2020.

Personally, I put it down to Australia Post - it wasn't the only thing not turning up when and where it should.

Derek - if you log through customer service on the FWW site, there is a function there to replace a missed paper copy. I have used it last year, and it did work well.

I reached out, cancelled the paper copy and went purely electronic - it saves a tree, and costs less - though, like many, I would prefer to lay my hands on a paper copy, if delivery was reliable.

Mountain Ash
9th August 2021, 07:22 AM
Hi Derek. I subscribe to Fine Homebuilding and now that you mention it, it's been a while since I saw a copy. I will investigate further.

yvan
9th August 2021, 08:56 AM
Derek, now that you have mentioned it, I have just checked and found that I have not received the last 3 issues....

Cheers,
Yvan

Old Croc
9th August 2021, 09:23 AM
I have the same problem with getting my Australian Woodworker magazine. Staff are helpful, send a replacement. As for stuff from the US, I ordered 150 metal hammer wedges, tracked them to Brisdrain and lost at depot. PayPal did the refund, but took 4 months. I reordered the wedges, been a month now and my order hasn't been processed yet. Blaming it on Covid.
Hohum,
Rgds,
Crocy.

A Duke
9th August 2021, 11:04 AM
Hi,
Covid 19, Global warming, Politicians, there is always some scapegoat to cop the blame for anything.
Regards

Glider
9th August 2021, 11:23 AM
If so, have you been receiving a copy if Fine Woodworking magazine over the past year? That is, is delivery being made?

I expect that Customer Support will respond by extending the subscription period yet again, but this does not get me the magazine.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I've had the same problem. Subscription extended once, an issue or two received and then nothing for the last six months.

It's cold comfort to know I'm not alone.

mick

derekcohen
9th August 2021, 12:10 PM
I have just received an email from Customer Service. This will look familiar to some of you. It’s the third time I have received it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you for contacting Fine Woodworking.

Your subscription began with the March/April 2021 issue. [note: renewed in February 2021]

We are correcting our records and extending your subscription to
compensate for any inconvenience caused. Your new expiration date will
be the July/August 2023 issue and will be reflected on your address
label.

Copies are being mailed to your address listed below.

Derek Cohen
XXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX

Once your issue is in the postal system, we no longer have control over
delivery. Please verify that your address label is complete and
accurate. Foreign post offices/carriers require additional information
to ensure delivery.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. To ensure your
future concerns are handled in a timely fashion, please include all
previous e-mail correspondence.

Thank you,
Glenn
Fine Woodworking Customer Service
[email protected]

For all your subscription service needs, visit Taunton Press - Customer Service (https://w1.buysub.com/servlet/CSGateway?cds_mag_code=FWW)
the quick, easy and safe way to manage your magazine account and answer
any questions you may have in one convenient place.

CharlieZ
9th August 2021, 12:10 PM
Derek, I just checked my copies, last was April 2021. But I've been a subscriber for 20+ years and this is the first significant delay. Mostly they arrive promptly, often ahead of the issue month. Anyway, as someone noted, your Account page lets you order replacements for missing copies and that has worked well the couple of times I've used it, and I'll try again now. From memory the last replacement a few years ago now came from Singapore. I still very much enjoy having the hard copy open on the workbench. Cheers

saladonion
9th August 2021, 12:52 PM
I heard back from FWW this morning. They are correcting their records and will extend my subscription expiry date to compensate. This sounds like that issue is at their end atleast in my case.

Digital edition can be accessed via Magazine - FineWoodworking (https://www.finewoodworking.com/magazine) or via their Apple and Android apps. I am assuming that you need finewoodworking.com digital subscription (users with continued subscription pre unlimited membership) or unlimited membership.

Cheers

ian
10th August 2021, 03:52 AM

I ask because I renewed my magazine subscription in February 2021 (it is now August 2021). I have not yet received a copy in all this time! Twice I have reported this to Customer Support. Twice they have emailed back to say that my subscription has been extended to cover the missed period. BUT I have yet to receive a copy, and it is now two publications since the last exchange with CS.

I am fully aware that Covid has wrecked havoc with delivery dates, and that I live in Australia. However, I have received other shipped items from other vendors in a reasonable time frame. Usually within a few weeks. (And if it was a slow delivery at play, I would have received something by now .. nada).

Hi Derek
I've been a subscriber to Fine Woodworking for 25 or more years.
What I've noticed is that very early on (mid 90s) FWW were posted direct from the US.
Then the "system" changed to FWW being shipped to Europe and entering the regular mail system there. The distributors of Scientific American had a similar system -- ship to Europe and post from there.
Starting sometime in the 2000s, FWW was air freighted in bulk to Sydney (to TNT's Mascot depot?) and placed into the Australia Post delivery system.
The last copy I received in Australia (in 2018?) used this method.

More recently I switched the delivery address to where I live in Canada.
With delivery to Canada, the magazine appears to be trucked to a shipping depot in Ontario, from whence it enters the Canada Post system for delivery to Canadian destinations. It appears to take the magazine about a week to get across Canada, and prior to Covid, I was receiving the magazine well before the following issue was printed.
Since Covid struck and the Canadian-US border was closed, it appears to take two or so months for the magazine to get from the US into Canada.
I received Issue #290 about 3 weeks ago (mid-July) although the issue seems to have been available on US bookshelves in mid May.
I see from the FWW website that issue#291 (September / October 2021) is on US bookshelves as I type.

For Australia, limited flights into Australia (thanks NOT ScoMo), has possibly led to a huge backlog of "only when space available" air freight from the US to Australia. Pre-Covid, around 80%(?) of air cargo arriving into Sydney arrived in the holds of regular passenger services and not on DHL, FedEx or UPS freighters. (To keep the fishing industry going the Federal Govt happily leased air cargo space so lobsters could be flown from WA to China -- but didn't provide similar support to regular air fright from the US or Europe.)
So I think the current AUS border restrictions -- especially the caps on air line passenger numbers -- have a lot to do with the non-delivery of your issues of FWW.

Note,
that as far as I know, FWW has massively outsourced their businesses.
From what I can gleam, customer service at Fine Woodworking, Fine Homebuilding, Fine Threads, etc., is no longer part of "Taunton Press". The operators are employed by a third party which only has a service contract with Taunton Press. Popular woodworking has adopted a similar "customer service" model.
Also, in 2019, FWW closed their Connecticut wood shop.

Based on how the last episode (#243) of Shop Talk Live I watched was produced, the FWW employees are still doing the show from their home locations.

Glider
10th August 2021, 07:50 AM
I thought they were shipping through Hong Kong but it matters not. The idea that magazine cargo is being bumped for higher revenue freight is valid although I wonder what happens to the inevitable backlog. Another possibility is that the airfreight shipments never leave the U.S.

The timing of my problems definitely correlate with Covid.

mick

GraemeCook
10th August 2021, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Derek, same problem here.

For the last three or four years, at least, my copy of FWW Magazine has been mailed from Holland - no problem, its in English!

Then it changed and the last three copies that I received came from the Channel Islands.

Then it stopped; the last FWW Magazine that I received was #288 Mar/April 2021.

I checked the Taunton website and find that I have not received:

#289 May/Jun 2021,
#290 Jul/Aug 2021, and
#291 Sep/Oct 2021.

Have emailed Taunton and await a response.

... For Australia, limited flights into Australia (thanks NOT ScoMo), has possibly led to a huge backlog of "only when space available" air freight from the US to Australia. Pre-Covid, around 80%(?) of air cargo arriving into Sydney arrived in the holds of regular passenger services and not on DHL, FedEx or UPS freighters. ...

Not sure that its quite that bad, Ian. Even when there was a total ban on international passengers into Melbourne (quarantine bed spaces full) there were still about 20 international flights per day landing there. Some were pure freighters, but most were passenger planes fully loaded with inward freight. On the outward flights they carried both passengers and freight.

There have been delays but freight is still moving.

ian
10th August 2021, 04:39 PM
Not sure that its quite that bad, Ian. Even when there was a total ban on international passengers into Melbourne (quarantine bed spaces full) there were still about 20 international flights per day landing there. Some were pure freighters, but most were passenger planes fully loaded with inward freight. On the outward flights they carried both passengers and freight.

There have been delays but freight is still moving.
Graeme
the following data is from the ABS

1.3 All arrivals - Top 10 Countries of citizenship - provisional estimates(a)
Country of citizenship
Jun-19
Jun-20
May-21
Jun-21
Jun-19 to Jun-21
% change

New Zealand
-69.8%

UK(b)
-95.7%

China(c)
-98.2%

India
-96.6%

USA
-97.9%

Philippines
-95.8%

Vanuatu
-4.5%

Samoa
-7.2%

France
-97.2%

South Africa
-93.6%

(a) To confidentialise, estimates have been rounded to the nearest 10.
(b) Includes the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man.
(c) Excludes SARs & Taiwan.

So, based on the ABS's provision stats
flights from the UK, US, China, India, France, the Philippines and South Africa (roughly totalling 300,000 passengers per month) are now only delivering about 8,000 passengers per month.

I'm not sure how that translates into the numbers of aircraft landing in Australia each day, but what I do know is that at Sydney Airport ...
Qantas is not servicing any destinations other than New Zealand,
Air Canada is not operating any flights to Australia (prior to Covid there was 1 return flight per day, plus direct flights to Brisbane and also(?) Melbourne),
Emirates is down to 1 flight per day into Sydney (prior to Covid there were 3 per day),
Cathay Pacific is down to 1 flight every 2nd day (prior to Covid Cathay Pacific was providing 3 flights most days),
Singapore airlines is down to 1 flight per day,
and it's a similar story with other airlines.

Given that mail is typically carried in the hold of regular passenger services, and my personal experience is that mail from Australia to Canada is taking 2 to 3 weeks longer to arrive than it was pre Covid, I'm estimating that daily aircraft arrivals are down about 70%.
A 70% reduction in daily flights would have a significant impact on air freight volumes.

GraemeCook
10th August 2021, 09:05 PM
I am not in the least surprised by those figures, Ian, as they relate to passengers.

At present, the only green zone is New Zealand, but New Zealand currently classifies Australia as a red zone. People who have been in NZ for more than 14 days can travel to Australia without quarantine.

All the rest of the world is classified as a red zone. Essentially the rules are:

Generally, foreigners cannot enter Australia,
Returning citizens and permanent residents must do 14 days quarantine in a hotel,
Available quarantine places are very limited - 2,000 per week in Sydney, 1,000-1,200 per week in other mainland capitals plus NT.
Passenger numbers are restricted to 50 per aircraft - for safe ground processing reasons,
There is a massive list of expatriates trying to get home.

Passenger arrivals are greatly reduced.

But cargo is still flying. Those planes carrying 50 passengers are not flying empty; they fill them up with cargo and the the airline algorithm auctions off those 50 seats for frequently extortionate prices.

For illustration, the following flights are scheduled to land in Melbourne between 8.00pm and midnight tonight (I am typing just before 8pm).

Etihad EY460 from Abu Dhabi
Singapore Airlines SQ217 from Singapore,
Qatar Cargo QR8356 from Sapporo,
Emirates EK408 from Dubai,
Sri Lankan Airlines UL406 from Colombo,
Japan Airlines JL773 from Tokyo,
Cathay Pacific CX163 from Hong Kong,

Collectively, those 7 flights might be able carry over 2,000 passengers but Melbourne will allow only 1,200 passengers per week - an average of 171 passengers per day, and I have picked only the immediate 4 hour slot. The airlines are not flying those planes empty; they a loaded with cargo. And only one flight is a nominal cargo flight.

EDIT: Managed to find a listing of international flights into Sydney yesterday (10-8-21). Thirteen flights with potential capacity around 4,000 passengers, but Sydney quarantine restricting arrivals to 2,000 passengers a week (average 285 per day) - less than 10% passenger load! Four flights from USA, 3 from Sinnngapore, 2 from Middle East. There must be carrying a lot of cargo to justify their fuel expenditure!

KeithP
10th August 2021, 11:23 PM
My last copy of FFW was No. 288 my subscription is valid. I am claiming a non delivery on the editions since.

Regards
Keith

KeithP
10th August 2021, 11:25 PM
My last copy of FFW was No. 288 my subscription is valid. I am claiming a non delivery on the editions since.

Regards
Keith

woodPixel
11th August 2021, 02:48 AM
On overseas stuff, my little tchotchkes from China are slightly delayed. Nothing like a year ago though, but not too bad. From the tracking used for everything I can see customs sits on EVERYTHING for about a month.

OS Amazon comes straight through though.... Hmmm....

I'd bet the people who live under the Sydney flight paths think it's nirvana 😜🙂🙂🙂

GraemeCook
11th August 2021, 10:18 AM
I have received two replies from Fine Wood Working Magazine Customer Service which included:

Fine Wood Working Magazine Customer Service

... Please allow until September 1, 2021 for delivery of your September/October 2021 issue.

... We are correcting our records and extending your subscription to
compensate for any inconvenience and missing issue caused.

No mention of replacing the other two missing issues, and I no longer subscribe to the electronic version. Another email sent.

jazzy69
11th August 2021, 10:26 AM
No mention of replacing the other two missing issues, and I no longer subscribe to the electronic version. Another email sent.

And that is the problem, they don't give a rats.... It's all about $

Regards,
Ross

GraemeCook
12th August 2021, 07:54 PM
Got reply saying back issues being sent, and asking me to verify snailmail address.

We'll see.

ian
14th August 2021, 06:50 PM
But cargo is still flying. Those planes carrying 50 passengers are not flying empty; they fill them up with cargo and the the airline algorithm auctions off those 50 seats for frequently extortionate prices.

EDIT: Managed to find a listing of international flights into Sydney yesterday (10-8-21). Thirteen flights with potential capacity around 4,000 passengers, but Sydney quarantine restricting arrivals to 2,000 passengers a week (average 285 per day) - less than 10% passenger load! Four flights from USA, 3 from Singapore, 2 from Middle East. There must be carrying a lot of cargo to justify their fuel expenditure!
I'm not sure that the air cargo rates being charged is even going close to justifying the fuel expenditure.

When I last looked at flight from the US two days ago, the one-way fare LAX to SYD for an October 6th departure (on United) was over AUD $20,000 per person.
That's about 5 times the pre-Covid business class fare from SFO to SYD, and around 3 times the pre-Covid first class fare.
one way economy seats (SFO to SYD) -- pre-Covid -- were selling for around AUD $1000.

So as a rough estimate -- 25 people per flight (the current cap) @ AUD $20,400 per person = around the same return as the airline would expect from 330 passenger 787 Dreamliner.
My conclusion -- air freight rates have not increased all that much due to Covid.

Incidentally, in May 2021 Qantas was still operating international flights to places like China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, USA -- they were just not carrying any passengers.

GraemeCook
14th August 2021, 07:50 PM
Generally agree, Ian. And if a plane carries 300 fewer passengers and their gaggage, then it can replace them with 30,000 kgs more paying freight.
* Presumes each passenger plus their baggage weighs only 100 kgs on average.

... I'm not sure that the air cargo rates being charged is even going close to justifying the fuel expenditure. ...

If that were true, Ian, would cargo planes ever be flying?

In airline parlance, I think that a result of covid is that yield per flight is at record high level, but that overall flights are down by the 70% you suggested, perhaps more; the industry is still very much in survival mode.

ian
15th August 2021, 05:38 AM
At the risk of deviating even further from the original topic ...

The number of air freighters flying into Australia appears to have remained relatively constant pre-Covid (May 2019) and during Covid (May 2021).

The number of other air services appears to have reduced by about 25% (not the 70% I suggested earlier).
But, passengers arriving by air into Australia -- excluding those coming from the Pacific Islands and New Zealand -- (May 2021 vs May 2019) are down more than 98%.
Outside the US, airlines are very much in survival mode because the huge decrease in passengers mean that too many air craft remain parked on a runway somewhere.

BTW
As I understand it, airline "yield" is typically expressed as revenue seats per km flown.
Raw dollars per operated flight doesn't allow for the proportion of the air craft fleet accruing lease liabilities while parked on a runway somewhere.

GraemeCook
15th August 2021, 04:31 PM
Agreed, Ian, time for termination; we are too far off topic.

BTW, "yield" can also mean operating revenue minus direct operating costs - fuel, wages, victuals, landing fees, taxes, etc. Its a standard accountancy term.

Innumerate journalists often corrupt it to be their estimate of average revenue per seat, but all pretty fuzzy if you try to be more specific.

GraemeCook
8th September 2021, 10:36 AM
I have received two replies from Fine Wood Working Magazine Customer Service which included:

Fine Wood Working Magazine Customer Service

... Please allow until September 1, 2021 for delivery of your September/October 2021 issue.

... We are correcting our records and extending your subscription to
compensate for any inconvenience and missing issue caused.

I waited a week past their specified deadline of 1 September, and the missing issues have still not arrived. Another "reminder" sent to Tauntons.

ian
8th September 2021, 12:10 PM
I waited a week past their specified deadline of 1 September, and the missing issues have still not arrived. Another "reminder" sent to Tauntons.
I don't want to dissuade you from chasing Taunton for the "missing" September/October issue of Fine Woodworking (Issue #291).
But, Alberta is more than 12,000 km closer to Connecticut that Tasmania is and I'm still waiting on delivery of my September/October issue.

It would be useful to know where Derek is with his missing issues of the Magazine.

Treecycle
8th September 2021, 12:55 PM
I didn't even get a reply to my inquiry on the 10/8/21, just their automated reply when you contact them saying they with be in touch within 48 hours.

Mountain Ash
8th September 2021, 02:07 PM
Hi all. This may be encouraging for those waiting for their copy of FWW. My Aug/Sept issue of Fine Homebuilding came yesterday. Yaay!!

GraemeCook
10th September 2021, 04:52 PM

Tauntons have now advised that they have extended my subscription yet again.

Three missing issues - this sounds like a systemic problem - and three times they have extended my subscription.

At the rate that they are going, by the end of next year there will be ten missing issues, and my subscription will have been extended ten times. This does not compute!

Mr Brush
10th September 2021, 06:44 PM
Welcome to the wacky world of Taunton's Customer Service. Abandon hope all who enter here.....

jazzy69
10th September 2021, 07:30 PM
Hi Graeme,
It looks like you are going to have an "eternal subscription" like the rest of us lol

derekcohen
10th September 2021, 08:23 PM
One advantage of not receiving the paper magazine is that the subscription is extended on the on-line copy. Reading the paper version is preferred, but these days there is less and less of interest. If FWW keeps this up, we may receive the on line edition for years to come! :)

Regards from Perth

Derek (still without a magazine this year)

GraemeCook
10th September 2021, 10:01 PM
Hi Graeme,
It looks like you are going to have an "eternal subscription" like the rest of us lol

Exactly my fear; an eternal subscription and zero delivery.

... One advantage of not receiving the paper magazine is that the subscription is extended on the on-line copy. ...

But not if you allowed your online subscription to lapse.

Treecycle
10th September 2021, 11:49 PM
Just received the subscription renewal notification tonight. Still haven't received a reply to my question about missing editions so at this stage I will be advising them that the subscription will not be renewed. We will see what happens then.

GraemeCook
11th September 2021, 03:00 PM
Just received the subscription renewal notification tonight. Still haven't received a reply to my question about missing editions so at this stage I will be advising them that the subscription will not be renewed. We will see what happens then.

What? Wasn't your subscription extended?

woodhog
11th September 2021, 03:41 PM
I might purchase the eletronic online version if they give me a good price.

GraemeCook
13th September 2021, 01:56 PM
Taunton's: " ... We have received your email and have forwarded your inquiry to the appropriate department. You will be contacted directly by them if necessary.... "

Suspect that the sender "Alleo" is actually an algorithm.

Mr Brush
13th September 2021, 02:07 PM

Be very careful that they don't just keep taking payments anyway, which happened to me until I gave up and cancelled the credit card they were charging to.:((

All emails requesting subscription to be cancelled were just ignored. They are spectacularly incompetent.

Lappa
13th September 2021, 02:14 PM
Be very careful that they don't just keep taking payments anyway, which happened to me until I gave up and cancelled the credit card they were charging to.:((

All emails requesting subscription to be cancelled were just ignored. They are spectacularly incompetent.

As scammers, I think they are very competent. They have your money, you have nothing.

Treecycle
13th September 2021, 02:15 PM
I did log in and remove the tick from the "Auto renew" box. I have just checked the emails and got a reply this time stating, as they have for everyone else, that the subscription will be extended until Sept/Oct 2022 to compensate for the missing issues. The also sent the mailing address in the email asking to verify that it is correct as they have no control over the magazine once it has left their facility. The address is the same as it has been for the past few years so I don't think that is any part of the problem.

ian
23rd September 2021, 11:32 AM

I ask because I renewed my magazine subscription in February 2021 (it is now August 2021). I have not yet received a copy in all this time!

Since Covid struck and the Canadian-US border was closed, it appears to take two or so months for the magazine to get from the US into Canada.
I received Issue #290 about 3 weeks ago (mid-July) although the issue seems to have been available on US bookshelves in mid May.

Alberta is more than 12,000 km closer to Connecticut that Tasmania is and I'm still waiting on delivery of my September/October issue.
My copy of Fine Woodworking Issue #291 arrived today -- 22 September 2021.

Note that I am in Alberta, Canada -- approximately 12,000km closer to Connecticut than is Tasmania. For Derek in Perth I'm not so sure -- Should I be measuring the distance across the Indian or Pacific oceans?

The return address is shown as:
Taunton Direct, Inc
C/O Worldwide Mailers
2835 Kew Drive
Windsor, Ontario, N8T 3B7

other details
Subscription number, date subscription expires
126/4/5 xxT14(Z)
my current address in Alberta

hopefully the above is of some use for those in Australia waiting on their "missing" issues

derekcohen
23rd September 2021, 11:53 AM
Ian, thanks for your comments.

What appears to be happening is that FWW is not sending out magazines. Instead, if you contact and state that you have not received an edition, they extend your subscription. Mine has been extended three times so far, and I shall no doubt have it extended again after the latest edition is clearly not delivered.

The only up-side to this is that the on-line download is available for longer.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mobyturns
23rd September 2021, 12:18 PM
As scammers, I think they are very competent. They have your money, you have nothing.

ala - Readers Digest - back in the day! :((

COVID has changed everything. I sent three AP Express Parcel Satchels simultaneously at 4 pm,

one to a Brisbane address (WWF member) arrived the very next day,

the other two to a near Metro VIC - 9 days, and Wonthaggi VIC - 8 days.

GraemeCook
23rd September 2021, 03:20 PM
My copy of Fine Woodworking Issue #291 arrived today -- 22 September 2021.

Note that I am in Alberta, Canada --

Taunton promised that my #291 would arrive before 1 September; It didn't, and #289 and #290 also have still not arrived.

And my pre-2021 FWW's have come from the Netherlands or Channel Islands, not USA or Canada.

... What appears to be happening is that FWW is not sending out magazines. Instead, if you contact and state that you have not received an edition, they extend your subscription. Mine has been extended three times so far, and I shall no doubt have it extended again after the latest edition is clearly not delivered. ...

My fear, also; we will end up with an infinite subscription to a non-delivered magazine.

... COVID has changed everything....

Not so sure on that, MT.

Over the past year we have received quite a few of parcels from Ireland (family), UK (esp Axminster and Book Depository), Germany (Dieter Schmidt) and NZ. We have been surprised that delivery times have remained consistent - commonly 6-7 days. USPS and China Mail have always been less reliable.

Mr Brush
23rd September 2021, 05:03 PM
Since sending magazines around the world is clearly beyond them, why don't they just forget about it and go online only?? Put some time and $$$ into getting decent search/indexing facilities on their webpage to make it easy to find what you are looking for. They'd save a lot of $$$ by doing this, online subscriptions could be cheaper, and they'd get more people signing up (including me). At the moment it isn't clear to me whether you can even get an "online only" subscription without the printed magazine?

Paper magazines are going the way of the dinosaur, about time FWW got with the program IMHO.

Mobyturns
23rd September 2021, 06:51 PM
Not so sure on that, MT.

Over the past year we have received quite a few of parcels from Ireland (family), UK (esp Axminster and Book Depository), Germany (Dieter Schmidt) and NZ. We have been surprised that delivery times have remained consistent - commonly 6-7 days. USPS and China Mail have always been less reliable.

Certainly, a few have really got their act together, others are a bit hit and miss, and some are down right incompetent. One courier franchise up this way has an appalling track record, so much so that I refuse to deal with any company who uses their "services."

I have given up on some subscriptions due to their stance of paper or paper+digital only. I had that discussion with Mark Baker (RIP) editor of UK Woodturning mag over breakfast at Turnfest and the potential enhancements to GMC's website, search engine, digital library etc. Mark agreed with my suggestions, but lamented that it was not his decision to make and that getting approval for the investment in website enhancements / redesign etc was not easy. In general I think we are lucky that some of the smaller niche magazines survive at all.

GraemeCook
23rd September 2021, 09:45 PM
Since sending magazines around the world is clearly beyond them, why don't they just forget about it and go online only?? ... .

But they had no difficulty in sending magazines around the world from 1975 through 2020 - 46 years - including the first six months of Covid when transport services were disrupted.

I cancelled my online subscription two years ago, because, bluntly, it was crap. Shambolic website and hopeless search engine.

And I much prefer to read paper!

yvan
25th September 2021, 08:31 AM
Earlier this week, I received an email from FWW, "signed" by Michael Pekovich no less :rolleyes:, outlining some of the content in the forthcoming issue of the magazine.

I answered his email as follows:

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for telling me about the content of the forthcoming FWW issue.
Unfortunately, the last issue I received was FWW #288. I would appreciate receiving the last three issues.

I happen to follow a woodworking forum here in Australia and quite a number of forumites have reported not receiving their FWW magazine issues either. etc etc"

And received the following answer:

"...Thank you for contacting Taunton Store.

We are sending a replacement for the #289, #290, and #291 issues and apologize for any inconvenience.

Plase allow 2-3 weeks for delivery

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. To ensure your future concerns are handled in a timely fashion, please include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Thank you,
Michael
Taunton Store Customer Service
[email protected]

For all your subscription service needs, visit Taunton Press - Customer Service (https://subscribe.finehomebuilding.com/servlet/ECareGateway?cds_mag_code=FHB&cds_config_id=1664)
the quick, easy and safe way to manage your account and answer any questions you may have in one convenient place..."

I am waiting with great anticipation!!!

Cheers,
Yvan

Midnight Man
25th September 2021, 11:16 AM
At the moment it isn't clear to me whether you can even get an "online only" subscription without the printed magazine?

I'm puzzled by this, as when I "signed up" a few years ago, I had to specifically *add* print copy to International address to the "Unlimited" subscription. The Unlimited subscription is USD$99.00, and is purely online only, giving you access to the magazine as it's published, all guides, plans, and the archive of all back issues.

I'd be tempted to write them an email, explaining you'd like to drop the print subscription, and move to Unlimited only.

I've never found a problem in getting good, timely and accurate customer service when writing them an email, though that was a couple years ago that I last needed to.

ian
25th September 2021, 11:34 AM
Earlier this week, I received an email from FWW, "signed" by Michael Pekovich no less :rolleyes:, outlining some of the content in the forthcoming issue of the magazine.

I answered his email as follows:

"Hello Michael,

Thank you for telling me about the content of the forthcoming FWW issue.
Unfortunately, the last issue I received was FWW #288. I would appreciate receiving the last three issues.

snip

And received the following answer:

"...Thank you for contacting Taunton Store.

We are sending a replacement for the #289, #290, and #291 issues and apologize for any inconvenience.

Please allow 2-3 weeks for delivery

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. To ensure your future concerns are handled in a timely fashion, please include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Thank you,
Michael
Taunton Store Customer Service

I am waiting with great anticipation!!!

Cheers,
Yvan
Hi Yvan
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you :no:

2 to 3 weeks for delivery might be the delivery standard for the US, but for deliveries via Canada Post the time is more like 2 months, and most of that "delay" appears to be getting the issues across the US-Canadian border. For delivery to Australia I'd describe the estimated 2 to 3 weeks as beyond wildly optimistic.

Post Covid, air mail from Australia to Canada is typically taking 4 weeks -- items seem to spend about a week in Sydney waiting for a flight and a further week in Vancouver (undergoing quarantine ??) before Canada Post picks them up for delivery.
Pre Covid air mail out of Australia would typically arrive within about a week.

If I were you, I'd really only start worrying about the issues you've been promised if it's February and you're still waiting.

yvan
26th September 2021, 09:20 AM
Hi Ian,

Yep, I have to agree with you !!!

I am simply wondering what the long term and long lasting impact Corvid will have on international transport after hearing how much the costs of shipping containers has increased over the past 12-18 months & if these prices are here to stay?

Cheers,
Yvan

Therapy
29th September 2021, 12:15 PM
Like others I am VERY frustrated with FWW.

In April 2021 my subscription was auto renewed for 2 years and until yesterday I had not received a single FWW since then. After numerous emails they sent me edition Nos 288, 289 and 290 which were delivered by courier in separate envelopes yesterday via ALT ParcelRight.

In early August FWW advised “Please allow until September 1, 2021 for delivery of your September/October 2021 issue.” I am still waiting.

FWW have told me “once your issue is in the postal system, we no longer have control over delivery”. I can understand this for one issue but when none arrive the problem is clearly at their end.

In Australia if we pay a business like FWW for something and it is not received and the matter is not addressed, we have the option of contacting the ACCC and/or in NSW, the Dept of Fair Trading.

Hopefully FWW can get their act together and send their hard-copy magazine subscribers each issue on a regular basis as they have done for many years.

ian
10th October 2021, 04:26 AM
Not to entirely reinvigorate this thread ...

I received the following email earlier this week#292 - Nov / Dec 2021
Our latest issue is hot off the presses, featuring Kerf-bent wall cabinet ; How to tame curved parts with patterns; Crosscut sled for large panels; How to upholster a slip seat; Build a handsome chair with limited tools; and much more. Read on to see what's inside,

I don't expect to see the issue "in the flesh" till around Christmas, perhaps a bit later

BUT
I do feel for FWW subscribers in Australia

derekcohen
10th October 2021, 11:21 AM
About 10 days ago, I received three envelopes, each with a magazine therein. I wonder why these were not sent in just one? Then, out of the blue, I received a fourth envelope at the end of the past week containing a fourth magazine. Not the one that Ian mentions, however. Perhaps that may turn up in due course?

It appears that FWW may have got the message - I posted on the Knots forum (which FWW run) and others replied there as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

ian
10th October 2021, 11:43 AM
About 10 days ago, I received three envelopes, each with a magazine therein. I wonder why these were not sent in just one? Then, out of the blue, I received a fourth envelope at the end of the past week containing a fourth magazine. Not the one that Ian mentions, however. Perhaps that may turn up in due course?

It appears that FWW may have got the message - I posted on the Knots forum (which FWW run) and others replied there as well.
I'm entirely sure that FWW's distribution system requires that each issue is wrapped and addressed individually. Which explains the four separate envelopes.
BUT
Have other subscribers received their missing issues? or are they still waiting?

GraemeCook
10th October 2021, 01:23 PM
... I received the following email earlier this week
#292 - Nov / Dec 2021
Our latest issue is hot off the presses, featuring Kerf-bent wall cabinet ...

Yes; I also received that teaser email.

Back in the days when FWW actually delivered magazines, I routinely received that teaser about 5 days before the magazine arrived from the Netherlands. I won't hold my breath!

... About 10 days ago, I received three envelopes, each with a magazine therein....

Congratulations; I have't received anything, yet - except subscription extensions.

... I'm entirely sure that FWW's distribution system requires that each issue is wrapped and addressed individually. Which explains the four separate envelopes. ...

Yep; all done by a machine.

ian
16th October 2021, 09:18 AM
I received the following email [on Thursday 7 October 2021] Issue #292 - Nov / Dec 2021
Our latest issue is hot off the presses, featuring Kerf-bent wall cabinet ; How to tame curved parts with patterns; Crosscut sled for large panels; How to upholster a slip seat; Build a handsome chair with limited tools; and much more. Read on to see what's inside,

I don't expect to see the issue "in the flesh" till around Christmas, perhaps a bit later
Well what can I say ...

Issue #292 (December 2021) was in my mailbox this morning (Friday October 15, 2021) -- that's only 9 days after I received the "hot off the press" teaser email.

Either Taunton has changed their delivery contractor for Canadian subscribers -- unlikely as the return address is the same as was used the last time.
or magazines to Canada are no longer being delayed crossing the US-Canadian border -- for me the more likely scenario

Perhaps, despite my earlier pessimism, international supply chains are starting to return to "normal"

How are Australian FWW subscribers fairing?

GraemeCook
16th October 2021, 02:29 PM
... Perhaps, despite my earlier pessimism, international supply chains are starting to return to "normal" ...

One swallow does not a summer make.

GraemeCook
16th October 2021, 03:11 PM
Had a very enjoyable dinner with a former colleague, an economist with a special interest in logists - we used to call it transport economics, but times change. He gave a rather interesting explanation of the causes of the supply chain delays and suggested that it might take four or five years to clear them.

According to Ken, the Japanese invented the JIT - just in time - supply chain concept in the 1960's and it was ubiquitous in Japan by 1980. The other countries followed, roughly 20 years behind, but since around 2000 the world has largely operated on the JIT system.

Under the JIT system, manufacturers maintain virtually no stocks of raw materials. Components are delivered straight to the start of assembly lines - Contracts are very specific:

Deliver 1,000 parts to factory door #6 at 11 am on 16-10-21,
If truck arrives early delivery will be refused,
If truck arrives late, very severe penalties will apply,
A lot of social interaction between staff of both enterprises to ensure all understand the importance of ontime delivery.
Raw materials and components cannot be kept in a warehouse because there isn't one.

This system is extremely efficient when everything works. But the entire process can be stopped by the absence of a single component - eg Car production has plummetted because the makers cannot get enough computer chips.

Even in retailing, companies try to avoid storage of goods and after unpacking deliver stuff straight to retail displays.

Then along came covid. Many components were scheduled for delivery to factories were already in the supply line, but the missing components caused the making process to stop. What do you do with the available components - the manufacturer and the supplier do not have sufficient warehouse space - the core of JIT is avoiding warehousing. The only solution is to keep the in the containers they were being delivered in, and find somewhere to store these full containers.

Thus whereas containers once were used to ship goods, many are now also being used as default warehouses, and the world has run out of containers. Now if someone manages to produce some of the missing components, they cannot find containers to deliver them to the client. The problem escallates. Full containers everywhere! Wharves/storage cluttered!

Ken's analysis is that the problem will not ease untill a pile of new containers are manufactured - something like 20% of existing world stocks. This will not happen overnight. Then the shipping world will quickly return to normal. Then their will be a glut of containers.

But, as Ken says, if I can predict a future glut of containers then so can the economists within the logistics industries. They may advise against investing in additional containers, and thus extend the problem.

taz01
16th October 2021, 05:19 PM
Had a very enjoyable dinner with a former colleague, an economist with a special interest in logists - we used to call it transport economics, but times change. He gave a rather interesting explanation of the causes of the supply chain delays and suggested that it might take four or five years to clear them.

According to Ken, the Japanese invented the JIT - just in time - supply chain concept in the 1960's and it was ubiquitous in Japan by 1980. The other countries followed, roughly 20 years behind, but since around 2000 the world has largely operated on the JIT system.

Under the JIT system, manufacturers maintain virtually no stocks of raw materials. Components are delivered straight to the start of assembly lines - Contracts are very specific:

Deliver 1,000 parts to factory door #6 at 11 am on 16-10-21,
If truck arrives early delivery will be refused,
If truck arrives late, very severe penalties will apply,
A lot of social interaction between staff of both enterprises to ensure all understand the importance of ontime delivery.
Raw materials and components cannot be kept in a warehouse because there isn't one.

This system is extremely efficient when everything works. But the entire process can be stopped by the absence of a single component - eg Car production has plummetted because the makers cannot get enough computer chips.

Even in retailing, companies try to avoid storage of goods and after unpacking deliver stuff straight to retail displays.

Then along came covid. Many components were scheduled for delivery to factories were already in the supply line, but the missing components caused the making process to stop. What do you do with the available components - the manufacturer and the supplier do not have sufficient warehouse space - the core of JIT is avoiding warehousing. The only solution is to keep the in the containers they were being delivered in, and find somewhere to store these full containers.

Thus whereas containers once were used to ship goods, many are now also being used as default warehouses, and the world has run out of containers. Now if someone manages to produce some of the missing components, they cannot find containers to deliver them to the client. The problem escallates. Full containers everywhere! Wharves/storage cluttered!

Ken's analysis is that the problem will not ease untill a pile of new containers are manufactured - something like 20% of existing world stocks. This will not happen overnight. Then the shipping world will quickly return to normal. Then their will be a glut of containers.

But, as Ken says, if I can predict a future glut of containers then so can the economists within the logistics industries. They may advise against investing in additional containers, and thus extend the problem.The issue is also that when Western companies applied JIT they missed a key principle in that many of the supplying companies were localised nearby which is why they could minimise inventory.

Now companies equate JIT with just having low stock yet still using a worldwide supply chain. One issue like the Suez blockage, or covid and there is chaos.

GraemeCook
17th October 2021, 01:28 PM
So true. But even the Japanese companies have exported the JIT model and, until covid and the Suez blockage, have largely made it work. For example, Toyotas are made in over 20 countries with all parts of the company addicted to JIT.
List of Toyota factories - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_factories#Thailand)

Mountain Ash
24th October 2021, 08:32 AM
Hi all. Have those affected received any outstanding copies of FWW? I have just got my October edition of FHB , so I am assuming that some of you have some reading to catch up on?

Glider
24th October 2021, 09:02 AM
Hi all. Have those affected received any outstanding copies of FWW? I have just got my October edition of FHB , so I am assuming that some of you have some reading to catch up on?

Mine arrived yesterday, the first since April. I still have to claim a credit for the missing issues. The envelope was marked Jersey (Channel Islands) post.

SWMBO has been receiving weekly copies of The New Yorker all year.

mick

Treecycle
24th October 2021, 09:33 AM
Checked the club mail box earlier this week and still nothing but now I might have to check again in the next day or so.

GraemeCook
24th October 2021, 01:35 PM
Nothing yet; they owe me four copies.

Treecycle
24th October 2021, 01:39 PM
Just checked the PO box and the October edition was there:hpydans:

Bucky
9th November 2021, 11:12 AM
FFW keeps sending me emails re subscriptions. Recently they have sent one for a usb stick containing all back copies. Has anyone purchased this and is it worth it?

Cheers Bucky

GraemeCook
9th November 2021, 11:30 AM
FFW keeps sending me emails re subscriptions. Recently they have sent one for a usb stick containing all back copies. Has anyone purchased this and is it worth it?

Cheers Bucky

Yes; Its brilliant.

I got a DVD version about 10 years ago and used it intensively. Last year I replaced it with a USB with ten more years of issues. You get a hi-res copy of the entire magazines, each and every page, and literall turn the pages electronically.

Only minor downside is that their search engine is a little primitive.

Mr Brush
9th November 2021, 12:19 PM
Only minor downside is that their search engine is a little primitive.

That seems to be a common theme with all their offerings. The online version was equally hopeless when it came to locating anything specific, even if you 80% knew exactly what article you were looking for. They badly need some help in this area, but at this rate the publication will have gone under by the time they address this.

I know (from this thread) that a few people still want to receive paper copies, but I'd be perfectly happy with a good, properly indexed, well thought out, online only edition. Another advantage of online - I lost all my back issues when the house went in the bushfires Jan 2020; with limited space in 2 cars, and little time to get anything out, the huge stack of FWW mags was low on the list of priorities. I guess the fire experience has changed my view of "material" objects permanently.....:(

GraemeCook
3rd December 2021, 01:45 PM
The June issue arrived this morning - from Jersey, Channel Islands.

As they actually publish two months before the cover date, this should have been mailed in April - so it was only eight months late!

Still awaiting the following issues:

#290 Jul/Aug 2021,
#291 Sep/Oct 2021,
#292 Nov/Dec 2021, and
#293 Tools and Shops 2022.(*)

[* I have received the junk email about this issue, so, allegedly, it should be in transit. Magazines used to arrive 2 or 3 days after the junk email.]

ian
3rd December 2021, 05:15 PM
The June issue arrived this morning - from Jersey, Channel Islands.

As they actually publish two months before the cover date, this should have been mailed in April - so it was only eight months late!

#290 Jul/Aug 2021,
#291 Sep/Oct 2021,
#292 Nov/Dec 2021, and

[* I have received the junk email about this issue, so, allegedly, it should be in transit. Magazines used to arrive 2 or 3 days after the junk email.]Hi Graeme,
Issue #293 (Tools and Shops 2022) was sitting on the shelf of the Calgary branch of Chapters/Indigo I frequent this morning.

Treecycle
3rd December 2021, 06:24 PM
I got 292 earlier this week so it looks like things might be on track again.

KeithP
3rd December 2021, 09:32 PM
I am also now up to date with the Nov/Dec being the latest. Thank goodness FFW is back on track.

Regards
Keith

yvan
4th December 2021, 08:33 AM
In late September I was advised that my missing FWW issues (288 289 & 290) would be delivered in the following two weeks or so. Well, I received #288 last week and, three days ago I received.... 288# again !! The first copy arrived wrapped in a padded envelope whereas the second one arrived in the standard grey plastic wrapper. I am just wondering if the first copy was the replacement and the second one being the original? I may be lucky to get the other 2 issues sometimes, hopefully before Xmas!

As it turns out I also had a subscription to Furniture & Cabinetmaking and have just realised that it has lapsed. I am somewhat surprised that I didn't get a reminder that it was about to end. On the other hand, I don't think I will renew it. I did find in the last few issues I received that the way of presenting projects had changed, becoming more info-tainment rather than detailed methods of work.

This may not be a bad thing after all: I'll spend more time in the shed making actual mistakes instead of reading about how to avoid them !!!

More sawdust...again!

Chers,
Yvan

GraemeCook
5th December 2021, 03:11 PM
Just looking at the grey plastic envelope that covered the very slow Issue #289 and noted that the senders name and return address preceded my name and address and were in exactly the same font.

Could the Post Office have initially delivered the package to Taunton Press instead of to me?

Absolutely no hints on the envelope, but note it has a London postal sticker superimposed over a Jersey, Channel Islands postmark. Seems strange, and may explain the 8 months in transit????

Chris Parks
5th December 2021, 04:51 PM
I have seen a parcel posted from Sydney to Perth returned to the sender for a similar issue.

ian
5th December 2021, 05:00 PM
Just looking at the grey plastic envelope that covered the very slow Issue #289 and noted that the senders name and return address preceded my name and address and were in exactly the same font.

Could the Post Office have initially delivered the package to Taunton Press instead of to me?

Absolutely no hints on the envelope, but note it has a London postal sticker superimposed over a Jersey, Channel Islands postmark. Seems strange, and may explain the 8 months in transit????
Graeme
I suspect you have "sorted" the issue.
Your copy of Issue #289 has travelled via the UK.

GraemeCook
30th December 2021, 01:29 PM

#290 Jul/Aug 2021,
#291 Sep/Oct 2021,
#292 Nov/Dec 2021, and

We have made progress.

FWW #293 Tools and Shops 2022 arrived on Monday 6-12-21.

FWW #292 Nov/Dec 2021 and #291 Sep/Oct 2021 arrived two days apart in mid-December.

FWW #290 Jul/Aug 2021 finally arrived today - over six months late - but it has arrived.

My subscription is now fully uptodate.

GraemeCook
30th December 2021, 01:42 PM

Graeme
I suspect you have "sorted" the issue.
Your copy of Issue #289 has travelled via the UK.

A definite possibility, Ian - but 8 months???

My guess is that they were printed in USA, shipped in bulk to Channel Islands via London or Paris (No direct flights to Channel Islands?) and then mailed individually.

Possibly mine went:

Channel Islands to Newtown, Connecticut, (FWW return address),
Connecticut to London, possibly via Channel Islands,
London to Tasmania.

Even then, the envelopes had a lot of time to sit around wondering where to go next!

russ57
31st December 2021, 09:08 PM
My home shop machinist June edition arrived last week. I've had more recent editions arrive, maybe a few containers of magazines took the slow summer cruise ...

GraemeCook
4th March 2022, 11:37 AM
Just received junk mail from Taunton to say that FWW Magazine #295 (March-April 2022) was on the way.

But, I have not yet received the preceeding issue #294 (Jan-Feb 2022):

Has it actually been mailed?
Is it leisurely ambling along somewhere in the mail routes?

Given the demonstrated competence of FWW's "service department" these questions will probably never be answered.

Suspect that it is just more bungling by Taunton!

yvan
5th March 2022, 08:54 AM
Yes Graeme, the saga not only resumes but continues. I have now received my third copy of issue #288, but nothing else.
I have to say that I am over the circus and won't even try to chase later issues. Great if they ever arrive but my membership will certainly not be renewed.

GraemeCook
5th March 2022, 11:35 AM
" ... Thank you for contacting Fine Woodworking.

We are sending the January/February 2022 (294) issue and apologize for
any inconvenience.

Please allow three weeks for arrival of the replacement issue. ... "

Theoretically, FWW #294 should arrive by the end of March.

ian
5th March 2022, 06:03 PM
" ... Thank you for contacting Fine Woodworking.

We are sending the January/February 2022 (294) issue and apologize for
any inconvenience.

Please allow three weeks for arrival of the replacement issue. ... "

Theoretically, FWW #294 should arrive by the end of March.
Ha, Ha, bloody ha.
without being nasty, Taunton only know how deliveries work in the USofA.
That is what they quote for a delivery estimate.

Just so you know, issue #294 (Jan/Feb) was delivered to Canmore (Alberta) about 3 weeks ago.
Issue #293 (the Tools and Shops issue) arrived around Christmas time.

GraemeCook
6th March 2022, 09:38 AM
Ha, Ha, bloody ha.
Just so you know, issue #294 (Jan/Feb) was delivered to Canmore (Alberta) about 3 weeks ago.

Issue #293 (the Tools and Shops issue) arrived around Christmas time.

Thanks, Ian. Shops and Tools #293 arrived in Hobart, Tasmania on 6 December.

Issues #294 and #295 "are in the mail".

We will see.

Mr Brush
6th March 2022, 12:23 PM
"Thank you for contacting Fine Woodworking. Nobody knows. Have a nice day."

GraemeCook
7th March 2022, 11:47 AM
"Thank you for contacting Fine Woodworking. Nobody knows cares. Have a nice day."

Typo.

Treecycle
7th March 2022, 03:34 PM
I have received all the missing issues including Shops & Tools now and got the 6 month extension of my subscription along the way. Might have been slow but they got there in the end.

RossM
8th March 2022, 12:21 PM
I'm late to this thread - but want to point out the following announcement that came some time back from the USPS (seppo equivalent to AusPost)

"The Postal Service has temporarily suspended international mail acceptance to Australia due to service impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic." (Emphasis is mine)

This may well explain many of the missing deliveries.

You can see the current status here:
International Service Alerts - Newsroom - About.usps.com (https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm)

GraemeCook
8th March 2022, 02:49 PM
I'm late to this thread - but want to point out the following announcement that came some time back from the USPS (seppo equivalent to AusPost)

"The Postal Service has temporarily suspended international mail acceptance to Australia due to service impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic." (Emphasis is mine)

This may well explain many of the missing deliveries.

You can see the current status here:
International Service Alerts - Newsroom - About.usps.com (https://about.usps.com/newsroom/service-alerts/international/welcome.htm)

How is that relevant? FWW Magazine is mailed from the Channel Islands.