PDA

View Full Version : Moving Perth to Brisbane

Robert L Webb
28th June 2001, 02:04 PM
Hi
My name is Robert (Bob) Webb. I am a member of the WA Woodturners Association and have been for about 7 years. I do a fair amount of turning,(I am retired) but have avoided the temptation to turn it into a business and am strictly an amateur. My wife and I expect to be moving to Brisbane in the next few months (all our kids are on the east coast) and I plan to continue my association with a woodturners group when we are settled. At the moment I am making decisions about which of my timber I should keep and which I can reasonably get rid of.

Like most woodturners I have a go at a lot of stuff although I do turn quite a few vases and more recently Windsor rocking chairs which I have started to do a bit of carving on.

I would be grateful for information on how difficult or not so difficult, expensive or not so expensive, woodturning blanks and timber generally is in Brisbane. Most of the wood I have has been accumulated from trees that people decided to remove from their backyards. The few bits of burl I have were simply accumulated from friends. I bought some jarrah at auction recently to make a few rocking chairs and was planning to turn it into chair components to make it less bulky for removalists.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Bob Webb