PDA

View Full Version : Crippled by router bit choices!

rogerwilco
20th August 2021, 03:22 PM
Choice. Too many.
I don't buy sets, and prefer to get high quality a few at a time.

I have:
1/4" shank

1/4" radius 1/8" radius round over TCT
1/4" spiral up-cut solid carbide

1/2" shank

3/8" spiral up-cut solid carbide
3/4" straight bit 2 flute TCT
1/2" flush trim bit 2 flute TCT with bottom bearing

I want to get next:

3/8" spiral down-cut solid carbide 1/2" shank
45 deg. chamfer TCT 1/4" shank
3/4" or 7/8" radius round over TCT 1/2" shank
9/16" (14.2mm) 14 deg. dovetail 1/2" shank

I have a 1/4" trimmer, 1/2" plunge, a router table, and a set of guide bushings. I figure that I should have 90% of my bases covered with these, right?

The 3/8" spiral bits together can do just about anything, especially with guide bushings.

Am I missing anything obvious here?
Know it depends on specific applications, but I'm tryna have a smaller number of higher quality bits, as opposed to buying a new bit any given project.

elanjacobs
20th August 2021, 04:24 PM
1/4" shank 2mm roundover bit was probably the most used at work for softening edges.

I highly recommend Carbitool if you're not already buying from them. Excellent quality and made here in Melbourne, they also have a sharpening service.

rogerwilco
20th August 2021, 05:17 PM
I've actually got a 1/4" 2mm RO, but prefer the 3.2mm RO a little bit more. Sometimes found the 2mm to not be enough.

All over the Carbitool. I get all my bits there. High quality, local, big range, good prices. Can't go wrong!

I'm not that experienced with guide bushings, but 3/8" spiral bits with 1/2" seem like they'd be goldilocks. Solid and big enough to take on bigger jobs, and small enough to do mortices for furniture joinery in typical sizes. Out of the lot, those are the pricey ones, so don't want to have to buy in big range of different sizes...

rogerwilco
20th August 2021, 05:20 PM
Oops, that was a mistake in my original list. My main RO bit has radius 1/8" (3.2mm) not 1/4" (6.4mm).
Totally agree - probably the most used bit I have, and it's almost permanently in my trim router. :2tsup:

riverbuilder
21st August 2021, 10:32 PM
I’m confused, are you saying there’s some sort of limit I should be putting on my collection of router bits? And, that I should only be buying ONE bit for each project? :U

samo
21st August 2021, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Flush Trim Bit
*Astra Coated* Whiteside UDC9112 Ultimate Flush Trim Bit | BitsBits.com (https://bitsbits.com/product/udc9112-ultimate/)

Excellent router bit. Also, why wouldnt you want to buy bits per project? Surely that's the most efficient way of doing things. You need a particular bit, you buy it. That way you dont end up with random bits you never use.

rogerwilco
22nd August 2021, 12:17 AM
I’m confused, are you saying there’s some sort of limit I should be putting on my collection of router bits? And, that I should only be buying ONE bit for each project? :U

that’s EXACTLY what I’m afraid of :oo:

rogerwilco
22nd August 2021, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Flush Trim Bit
*Astra Coated* Whiteside UDC9112 Ultimate Flush Trim Bit | BitsBits.com (https://bitsbits.com/product/udc9112-ultimate/)

Excellent router bit. Also, why wouldnt you want to buy bits per project? Surely that's the most efficient way of doing things. You need a particular bit, you buy it. That way you dont end up with random bits you never use.

People on YouTube are very enthusiastic about that ultimate flush trim bit. I bet it’s badass, but so far I haven’t had tear out issues with my straight flush trim bit, and spiral bits in a guide bushing can get around a lot of things too. I know the compression bits will cut nice on both faces of the piece, but I’d rather spend that kind of money on other tools.

We’re actually on the same page about the second point. I do buy bits as I need them for projects, so there’s none that I don’t use, or don’t have a specific reason to buy. But I don’t always know exactly what I’ll need and I hate having to stop a project to buy whatever is available at the hardware, or wait a few days for a delivery.

Not a problem with TCT bits as they’re cheap enough to not sweat the detail. Solid carbide spirals are freaking expensive though, so I’m trying to be smart with those.

Then again, it’s a dumb game. Who am I kidding? I’ll be buying new bits forever probably!