PDA

View Full Version : Help making door - NEWCASTLE

Albert Arnold
13th September 2021, 05:02 PM
Good morning
I am in a hole. I planned a blackbutt door with ship lap-panels in the frame, for my new shed.
I cannot get to the guy who has the tools, bench saw, band saw etc and teaches me woodwork, because of lockdown. I tried to make tenons with a drop-down saw. Not pretty. Can anybody in Newcastle help. I can pay an hourly rate for use of tools and help.:C:B
Thanks
Albert

riverbuilder
13th September 2021, 10:13 PM
Good morning
I am in a hole. I planned a blackbutt door with ship lap-panels in the frame, for my new shed.
I cannot get to the guy who has the tools, bench saw, band saw etc and teaches me woodwork, because of lockdown. I tried to make tenons with a drop-down saw. Not pretty. Can anybody in Newcastle help. I can pay an hourly rate for use of tools and help.:C:B
Thanks
Albert
I have a full workshop at Somersby, if that’s not too far? PM me and we can chat.

Albert Arnold
14th September 2021, 08:07 AM
I have a full workshop at Somersby, if that’s not too far? PM me and we can chat.

Good morning

Thank you so much for responding

I am interested in your offer.
First; the bureaucracy: My job requires me to comply with Covid restrictions. I am fully vaccinated, and need to be careful to restrict contacts as I work with vulnerable people.
Now; the fun: ( I love making stuff). The door is for a shed I have built for my semi-retirement (full retirement when I have paid off the extraveganza and bought some equipment). One area for my wife who is an artist, and 1 for my woodwork, carving, maybe metal sculpting and knife making.

My door is a Blackbut frame with 3 transvers bars, 1 each at the top and bottom and 1 at the junction of mid and lower thirds. The spaces are filled by ship-lap panels.
Frame and bar sizes: Lower Bar 190 x 43mm, all the rest 140 x 43mm.
I need Mortice and tenon joints between the 3 transverse bars and the verticals.
Routing a 19mm groove into the frame for the ship-lap panels.
The task has many small parts, finicky, but not complex.

Once completed, maybe we can build the stairs, Spotted gum, going up 1 floor. 1 90 Degree turn

I am new on the forum and do not know the rules. If permitted maybe we can exchange phone numbers.

Thanks
Albert

Bernmc
14th September 2021, 08:26 AM
I'm in Newcastle, and have the tools, but possibly not much knowhow! Happy to help (riverbuilder would be a good source of advice too).

You'd need to be fully vaccinated to comply with COVID mingling rules.

riverbuilder
14th September 2021, 10:39 AM
Albert I’ve sent you a PM with my phone number. It’s easier to call.

clear out
17th September 2021, 07:57 AM
Lucky bs we’re stuck here in Sydney.
Not that I’m going to run out of jobs in my little shed anytime soon.:D
H.