PDA

View Full Version : Wee Seal

disco
6th December 2005, 09:34 PM
G!Day my fellow gluers and clampers....:rolleyes:
I am finishing off a Mr I Oughtred Wee Seal but.......minus the cabin cos i want it as an open day sailer with deck and combing and may be afold down spray hood.Question is what is a good timber to use for the deck frames,carlins ,combing.and knees
I have enough meranti to finish the boat........is it OK and does the epoxy like it. If not any suggestions.......
Also a good timber to make up some fairleads and cleats and any boat building books that i may find this info in......
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Cheers
Disco in Melbourne Oz:)

bitingmidge
6th December 2005, 09:42 PM
Gidday Disco,

No piccys = no reply!!! :D :D :D :D

(It's ok Daddles won't be able to help himself!)

Cheers,

P (I'll look in later!)
:D :D :D

disco
6th December 2005, 11:18 PM
Midge...:D old son the pics are in a folder at image station .and being new at this pics transfer game (Questionable Intelligence) I am nutting out how get them across to the forum.There is rolling thunder and rain this very night.Sooooo.I,gotta go and secure the hatches'clean the teeth and off to bed
Till later fellow builders
Disco in stormy Melbourne;)

Daddles
6th December 2005, 11:22 PM
Go jump Midge. It's an Oughtred boat so all bets are off :D ... but, of course, seeing he hasn't put up piccies, he won't know whether I'm fibbing or not.

Now, to the wee craft in question.

Are you a member of the Caledonian Yawl Forum? It's run by a wonderful bloke in Melbourne and covers all Oughtred boats. The addy is http://www.mavc2002.com/cyforum/index.php

Of course, you are better off listening to us because we tell better fibs:eek:

As for the timber, I can't speak from a wealth of experience, but at TAFE, we built David Payne's 6m motor cruiser. All softwood was Oregon and all hardwood was Kapur. Take it from there mate.

As for Meranti, the literature I've seen rates it as having poor anti-rot resistance, which doesn't explain why meranti boats built in the fifties are still surviving ... though my Samar does have rot above the waterline.

Perhaps the answer is - lots of ventilation.

HELP MIK!

Richard

Daddles
6th December 2005, 11:25 PM
Midge...:D old son the pics are in a folder at image station .and being new at this pics transfer game (Questionable Intelligence) I am nutting out how get them across to the forum.There is rolling thunder and rain this very night.Sooooo.I,gotta go and secure the hatches'clean the teeth and off to bed
Till later fellow builders
Disco in stormy Melbourne;)

You reckon we're going to believe that?http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a306/kosams/Webfishingclub/hah.gif

Maaattttteee - the only thing we accept on this forum is sheer incompetence ... dressed up as sublime knowledge (ask stoppers, works for him :D )

Richard

stevebaby
7th December 2005, 12:25 AM
Go jump Midge. It's an Oughtred boat so all bets are off :D ... but, of course, seeing he hasn't put up piccies, he won't know whether I'm fibbing or not.

Now, to the wee craft in question.

Are you a member of the Caledonian Yawl Forum? It's run by a wonderful bloke in Melbourne and covers all Oughtred boats. The addy is http://www.mavc2002.com/cyforum/index.php

Of course, you are better off listening to us because we tell better fibs:eek:

As for the timber, I can't speak from a wealth of experience, but at TAFE, we built David Payne's 6m motor cruiser. All softwood was Oregon and all hardwood was Kapur. Take it from there mate.

As for Meranti, the literature I've seen rates it as having poor anti-rot resistance, which doesn't explain why meranti boats built in the fifties are still surviving ... though my Samar does have rot above the waterline.

Perhaps the answer is - lots of ventilation.

HELP MIK!

RichardAbout meranti,I've seen conflicting reports about its anti-rot properties.I think meranti is a trade name ( like tassie oak),the really dense dark red stuff seems to be pretty good.
I refinished a deck on a motor cruiser that had been in the sun and spray for ten years without any sort of finish on it and there wasn't a trace of rot.It came up really well.:)

bitingmidge
7th December 2005, 07:35 AM
Steve,

I reckon if it had no finish and was in the weather for ten years, you need to buy a lotto ticket!!

Meranti isn't all that durable, but then again oregon isn't durable at all!

The reason timbers last ok in boats is that it is always (usually!) protected by copious layers of paints or epoxies. So the short answer is: if it's coated/painted it'll last near enough to forever.

For Daddles: Rot in boats is caused by FRESH water, usually from rain leaking under fittings, ironically the spores can't survive in a saline environment, so washing the salt off the boat can contribute to rot, if there's a leak somewhere.

Disco, if you've got enough Meranti to finish the boat, go for it. Just be diligent about coating.

As for fairleads etc, I reckon on a boat that size you could use anything you want, again if it's epoxy coated and varnished, even a softer timber will be quite durable. One of the nice things about building yourself is that if something breaks, you understand how to fix it and it's not a problem!

Oh by the way, don't forget that the maximum file size you can upload to this site is 100k.

Cheers,

P
:cool:

disco
7th December 2005, 06:32 PM
Hope this comes out ok if not ,gotta be some one....or two who can tell me how to upload from image station....pics http:/www.image station.com/upload/install/index html?albums_id2116608154&is_album id=21166 :eek:
Donnn...t hit me with the glue pot if I am wrong :p
Cheers
Disco in Melbourne OZ

disco
7th December 2005, 06:48 PM
http://www.image station.com/upload/install/index html? albums_id 2116608154& is_album id=21166 Oooooops:confused: Try again.....:D

Disco in Melbourne...:o

bitingmidge
7th December 2005, 07:22 PM
This is to certify that disco had a really good try at posting pics of his boat!
:) :) :)

Try just cutting an pasting the link to the album!

cheers,

P

Termite
7th December 2005, 07:34 PM
http://www.image station.com/upload/install/index html? albums_id 2116608154& is_album id=21166 Oooooops:confused: Try again.....:D

Disco in Melbourne...:o

The page can not be displayed.:(

Auld Bassoon
7th December 2005, 07:44 PM
Yep, did the cut 'n paste - still "page cannot..." etc

Pity, as I would have liked to have seen this (lover of wooden boats)

Cheers!