PDA

View Full Version : Brickie question

Theremin
6th December 2005, 11:40 PM
Quick question for the brickies (or anyone else who knows) - roughly how much sand does one need per 1000 bricks?

BrisBen
7th December 2005, 12:09 PM
Why would you want to make your own bricks ...

you know you can buy them

besides I think they are made out of clay ;) ;) ;)

Luddite
8th December 2005, 06:45 AM
You may need to be more specific with the question. Do you mean how much sand do you need to make a mortar mix to lay bricks? If so, 6 sand to 1 cement is usually fine, plus 1 part lime if it is not brickies sand (brickies sand has some clay in it which makes the mortar more plastic / fatty and easier to use)....if you need more information suggest you contact Oz Winner, he is a brickie.
Anthony

Theremin
8th December 2005, 01:02 PM
The question is: Approximately how much sand (in cubic metres, preferably), does it take to make sufficient mortar to lay 1,000 standard size bricks using 10mm mortar gaps, and assuming a 6:1:1 ratio?

craigb
8th December 2005, 02:39 PM
Al knows.

BTW, shouldn't all your posts be accompanied by an other worldly Wooh wooh sound :confused: ;)

Bodgy
8th December 2005, 03:04 PM
Al knows.

BTW, shouldn't all your posts be accompanied by an other worldly Wooh wooh sound :confused: ;)

It was Hanibal Lecter's favourite instrument.

arose62
8th December 2005, 03:52 PM
I wonder if you also need to specify whether you are laying a full bed of mortar, or (as I noted on a house near us) just putting a thin 'worm' of mortar on each edge of the brick. :eek:

This looked like a dodgy way to save a coupla bucks on materials, and I'd need an engineer or architect to convince me it was the right way.

Semi-seriously, I wonder if the different raking options make a significant difference?

Cheers,
Andrew

bitingmidge
8th December 2005, 04:23 PM
Andrew,

A full bed and perpend is what's called for!!

I subscribe to a theory that mortar is there to hold the bricks apart, not stick them together, and that calls for a bed that will support the full weight of the rest of the wall.;)

Cheers,

P

Tools
8th December 2005, 05:38 PM
One metre will do it.

Tools

Theremin
8th December 2005, 06:35 PM
Thanks Tools. That's what I wanted to hear.

Yes, it's the only musical instrument that is played without touching it. Was used in a few sci-fi movies mostly.

ozwinner
8th December 2005, 07:11 PM
I subscribe to a theory that mortar is there to hold the bricks apart,

Ahha,
Another who thinks outside the square....:eek:

Al :)

PS 1M3 per 1000 bricks is the going rate.