PDA

View Full Version : Quality Drill Bits

mat
7th December 2005, 10:01 AM
Apart from Sutton drills can anyone pass comment on the good and bad quality bits available?

Any comments on Evacut made by P&N in NZ?

What about the badged Makita and dewalt bits?

benyop
7th December 2005, 04:03 PM
sutton are pretty good for there price P&N are not quite as good. Most of the the other cheap brands around are crap steel and dont last. there are better ones around just depends how much money you want to spend.

Groggy
7th December 2005, 05:01 PM
Bordo are good bits

Edd
7th December 2005, 08:01 PM
sutton are pretty good for there price P&N are not quite as good.
P&N are owned by Sutton. Does this mean they are leaving P&N as their not-quite-as-good-quality range?

Auld Bassoon
7th December 2005, 08:09 PM
I needed some imperial bits recently, and found Lee Valley to have both Imp. and Metric, in all sorts of categories, at very good prices. On their own, not worth the freight, but packaged up with some other goodies - great value for good quality.

Then again, who needs an excuse...

Cheers!

mat
7th December 2005, 08:13 PM
It's interesting that P&N, originally a NZ brand are now often made in Aus and some Suttons are now made in NZ.

Evacut's are the P&N NZ made drill brand interestingly sold at Supa Cheap Auto - but comparable prices to Sutton's.

Edd
7th December 2005, 08:17 PM
Also, don't be shy to look for sutton bits on ebay, you can save so many $$$ on so much tooling there.

soundman
8th December 2005, 10:40 PM
Some of the better chineese drill bits are quite respectable too.
These are usualy stocked by the tool companies and the engineering suppliers.
Some of the cheap stuff in the sets from the hardwares can be completely disgusting.
It depends on what you are expecting from your bits.
For general use outside of industrial conditions you probaly will find little diference un use between the better chineese stuff and the good brand name stuff.
Serious precision and hard use, then you'll see a diference.
cheers

Schtoo
9th December 2005, 02:56 AM
I have used all of them, that's a first!

The Evacuts I have are pretty good, no complaints at all.

P&N are also pretty good, better than some Suttons I think. They are also pretty cheap, which helps.

I had a set of Makita bits, cheapies and they weren't bad. Not great, but on the job they were plenty adequate. I do have 1 of their good drill bits, an no excuses can be made for it. Very, very good.

The DeWalt with the square shoulders are great for drilling out rivets and spot welds. Otherwise, nothing special but quite good. If I need to drill thin stuff, they are the ticket.

Nachi are also very good, but you pay for the things too.

While I'm here, I'll spend the yen for Nachi bits, about as good as they get.

As it is, I don't buy bits very often. I do have a full set of Sutton CoHSS bits, a bitza set of Nachi in metric, a smattering of solid tungsten bits, a few more CoHSS and a medium sized box of good quality HSS bits.

I'd personally put Sutton, Evacut, Nachi in the same spot.

P&N to save a few $$$

Good Makita if you get them with a drill (as they aint cheap, even here) or on the cheap.

DeWalt if I need to drill sheet, rivets or spot welds as they are perfect for that, but would be a nightmare to sharpen.

And some drill bit sharpening lessons. ;)

foaley77
20th January 2006, 07:32 PM
I just bought these Sutton drill bits for $70.80 on Ebay was this a good price?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4433041567&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:AU:31

Dan_574
1st February 2006, 07:15 PM
Try the link below, its an aussie firm in Melbourne, I find them to be real good,

http://www.drillmate.com.au