PDA

View Full Version : What to do with fallen gum tree in the backyard

rzkman
3rd November 2021, 12:28 PM
Hey all,
Sorry if this isn't the right forum (there are so many on here!).
I am in SE Melbourne and unfortunately we had a big storm last week that brought down the gum tree in my backyard.
The diameter of the trunk is around 80cm-100cm.
I have already started cutting up the smaller logs to dry for firewood.
I am wondering if I can use some of the wood to make something as a memento?
I am not handy at all so would be getting someone to do it for me, but my concern is finding someone to do this and also the weight of handling the raw wood.
Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Rays

Bushmiller
3rd November 2021, 01:27 PM
Ray

Gum tree is a little bit vague. If you are not sure what species it is (could be important) perhaps you could post some pix of the tree including when it was still standing should you have any. Back yard trees are traditionally frowned upon by saw miller because of the incidence of foreign objects embedded in the tree. You may be able to persuade somebody with a chainsaw mill, for example, to help out.

It is probably true to say the timber will be useful for something, but will depend a lot on your level of enthusiasm for woodworking. After cutting, you will have to stack it for drying too: Hence my comment on "enthusiasm." I could have substituted "tenacity" or "dedication" for enthusiasm. :)

Having said all that, 80cm to 100cm is a very good size tree providing it was reasonably sound.

Regards
Paul

rzkman
3rd November 2021, 08:35 PM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply. I am sure you can tell from the photos what type of gum tree it is.
I obviously am a bit clueless on this. Someone else mentioned this variety tends to snap in the wind.
If it is started to get too much effort of too expensive, then maybe it will just end up all being firewood.
Thanks,
Ray

Fallen Woodwork
4th November 2021, 08:24 AM
We had a Eucalypt that lost its crown branches in a storm leaving nothing but the trunk as yours appears to have done.
After a couple months new buds emerged and a after a couple years no one could tell that it had ever lost its entire canopy.

Bushmiller
4th November 2021, 10:36 AM
Ray

Thanks for the pix. Having asked you for these, I am quite poor at identifying trees and hoped somebody else would contribute. It looks to be one of the Stringybarks, but there are about 25 variants in that group. Close up pictures of leaves, buds and flowers would probably be required for further identification. many of the Stringybark species produce good useable timber, if it is indeed that. The other option is of course Fallen Woodwork's suggestion. You will still have the canopy timbers for firewood if they are cut stacked and dried for a year or two.

Regards
Paul

rzkman
4th November 2021, 04:18 PM
Wow that is amazing! I never could imagine that it could grow back. Will certainly consider clearing the fallen parts and see if it comes back.

DJ’s Timber
5th November 2021, 12:05 AM
As Paul says, it’s a type of stringybark. Pretty sure it won’t grow back and most likely not suitable for milling, I’d be cutting it for firewood.

rzkman
6th November 2021, 11:37 AM
I have an arborist/tree removal guy coming next week. Will get their advice, if it is best for firewood, so be it. Will need to totally reimagine that part of the backyard now, as the shade the tree provided will be totally gone once removed.

russ57
7th November 2021, 08:42 PM
You mentioned 'memento' - i would reckon that whoever is cleaning it up for you would be able to cut a couple of vertical slices a foot or two long, and an inch or two thick paint the ends with any old paint.

Let them dry for a year or so and with a bit of luck you'll be able to make a cheese board/ charcutery(?) board. And with even more luck you may have some nice grain.

rzkman
8th November 2021, 09:53 AM
Thank you! Great idea!

Fallen Woodwork
8th November 2021, 04:46 PM
Curious as to why it isnt likely that this tree might grow back
Is it because its a stringybark species or because of how big/old it is?

I should have added a couple caveats with the tree on our property that lost its canopy. It was very healthy E. miniata and only about 6m tall at the time of the storm. That said, much bigger trees come back from loosing limbs from fires and storm damage.

Keen to learn from others about what conditions a tree requires to recover from devastating environmental assaults.

GraemeCook
9th November 2021, 05:12 PM
Your tree will be of no interest to millers, Ray, for a number of reasons:

Too small,
Too irregular in shape,
Too many branches,
Too expensive to transport to mill,
Too high a risk of foreign bodies.

But, as Paul suggests, it will probably recover. Around here, messmates, a type of stringybark, are regularly victims of bushfire - in fact, I think it is an essential part of their reproduction cycle. Anyhow, they usually bounce back - first leaves appear everywhere, even on the trunks, then over a few years they evolve back into a traditional shape.

Perhaps your aborist could advise, and also check that there are no potential dangerous issues remaining.

Bushmiller
9th November 2021, 08:30 PM
Graeme

I can't take credit for suggesting it may grow back. I think Fallen Woodwork suggested it may grow back in post #4. Some trees coppice vigorously and some don't. I have no knowledge of the stringybarks at all. I should also mention that Messmate Stringybark (E.obliqua) is sold under the marketing name of Tasmanian Oak and consequently is a good timber., but we don't know what this is.

The main problem with this tree, in terms of milling, is that we have not identified it, it is only a single tree with a relatively short trunk before first branches and of course there is the risk of nasty objects lurking within the timber so it will not be attractive to commercial operators. Hobby millers will also be wary for similar reasons. Much will come down to Ray's tenacity with this one and what gear he has himself unless he has a mate with the gear who can salvage something from it.

Looking at Ray's pix in post #3 it looks as though there is about three meters of clear trunk and the exposed wood at the break does not look to be too damaged (insect attack etc). Hollow trees are prone to storm damage but that does not seem to be the case in this instance. Perhaps that species is just not wind resistant unless it was struck by lightning, but there is no evidence of that either (trees damaged by lightning are often ruined).

Regards
Paul

GraemeCook
10th November 2021, 12:38 PM
Found a photo of eucalypt regrowth after a bushfire - no idea what species of gum. Note how, initially, the twigs/leaves initially grow straight out of the trunk and major branches - no doubt part of its survival strategy.