PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to disable HTTPS redirect in Firefox?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th November 2021, 11:13 PM
Firefox 94.0.1 (64 bit)

OK, so we should all know that Neil has asked us not to use HTTPS for these forums, until it is ready.

Sadly, I can not comply. The latest version(s) of Firefox persist in switching to HTTPS, making these forums almost unusable for me. I can read, but can rarely reply and links are just... painful. :~

In the settings/security panel, down in the HTTPS_Only section I've set it to "Don’t enable HTTPS-Only Mode," but it makes no difference whatsoever.

I've also tried the other two modes, ("Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in all windows" and "Enable HTTPS-Only Mode in private windows only") while adding the forum URL to the exception list... but again, no joy.

Editing FF's config file manually to ensure HTTPS-Only is disabled also fails to work.

Unfortunately, it appears that if FF detects that HTTPS is on offer it will use it, regardless of URL used.

Googling for help either brings up outdated advice or mentions just the steps I've already mentioned above, which do not work. Including Mozilla's own support pages. :rolleyes:

Has anyone else encountered this, or does anyone have any suggestions/workarounds?

(FWIW, Chrome is NOT an option. :p)

Bohdan
5th November 2021, 11:43 PM
I use firefox 94 (32-BIT) with HTTPS on WWF and do not have any problems at all.

verawood
6th November 2021, 07:40 AM
Check out SeaMonkey - a FireFox cousin from Mozilla.
I use both FF & SM no problems.
Good luck.

Chris Parks
6th November 2021, 10:12 AM
Use MS Edge, it simply works and that comes from someone who has never used a MS browser at all up until now. I abandoned Chrome many years ago and Edge is Chrome based like every other browser except FF but it works way better and that comes from a rusted on Opera user. The only advantage Opera has got is a built in VPN that is standard and very good key stroke short cuts which I miss.

rwbuild
6th November 2021, 10:55 AM
I use FF 64bit latest edition, no issues at all

Fuzzie
6th November 2021, 11:29 AM
No problems here using 94.0.1 on Win10. Perhaps do a refresh on FF or run in troubleshoot mode? "about:support" get to those options.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th November 2021, 05:29 PM
So, I took Seamonkey for a test drive... I like it in a nostalgic kind of way.

I'm not too fond of SW that tries to 'do everything' but at least I can now follow several links here without being told I have insufficient permissions or being told I'm not logged in.

I'll still try getting Firefox sorted; thanks for reminding me about the about:support option Fuzzie! :2tsup:

woodPixel
6th November 2021, 06:22 PM
My favourite right now is Brave Browser. (https://brave.com/)

Its based on Chrome, but with the Google-invasive spyware removed.

Its updated daily/weekly, as needed.

As a believer that the government and big business is inherently evil, I find these kinds of security and privacy considerations quite important.

forrestmount
6th November 2021, 07:26 PM
Try adding :80 at the end of the url

Eg trythis.com.au:80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro