PDA

View Full Version : Water Bike in Sydney Harbour

Sawhead
13th November 2021, 06:47 PM
In 1998 I did a tour of Eastern Australia, Cairns, Alice Springs, Melbourne, Beechworth (to shake Geoff Lucas by the hand for producing his wonderful sawmill (which I had just bought) up the coast to Sydney via Canberra.
In Sydney Harbour I hired a water bike, which was a bicycle on a pair of pontoons, the main difference was that instead of a propeller it had a small tube which enclosed an Archimedes type screw to drive the machine.
Looking at the size of the tube,(maybe 3 or so inches in diameter and perhaps 6 or so inches long and made of plastic I think) I was not expecting much performance, probably slower than a pedalo I thought. But the thing took off almost like a road bike and before I knew it I was on the other side of the harbour.
The pedals took the drive via a chain to the rear axle where a vertical drive powered the screw. This shaft could be turned with the handlebars to steer the machine.
I desperately have been looking to buy one for our lake here in the UK, but I have not seen a mention of it anywhere on the web
Typical brilliant Aussie simple effective machine, just like the Lucas Mill!

Anyone seen anything similar?

marker
14th November 2021, 10:06 AM
It may not be the same as the one you saw but this one seems to be available in the UK.
Chiliboats United Kingdom (https://www.chiliboats.co.uk/home)
Mark

Sawhead
18th November 2021, 08:54 AM
Similar concept but has a propeller as opposed to the enclosed screw type jet which I was so impressed with