PDA

View Full Version : pyrography

Redback
9th December 2005, 06:36 PM
The wife has expressed an interest in pyrography.

There are 3 units displayed on carbatecs site. Id rather not waste money on a sub standard unit, so can anyone recommend something to get her started?

I'm assuming the IRONCORE PYROGRAPHY UNIT is the best one to go with?

cheers

RB

savage
9th December 2005, 06:40 PM

There are 3 units displayed on carbatecs site. Id rather not waste money on a sub standard unit, so can anyone recommend something to get her started?

cheers

RB
Please excuse my ignorance but what is pyrography, is that what they call wood-burning?:confused:

TEEJAY
9th December 2005, 06:51 PM
Read this thread and search to sites they show

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=14254&highlight=pyrography

Cheers

Lignum
9th December 2005, 07:02 PM
Please excuse my ignorance but what is pyrography, is that what they call wood-burning?:confused:

I think its when you make something and it turnes out Jack-schizen so you decide to burn it:rolleyes:

Ian007
9th December 2005, 07:03 PM

yep that's wood burning

savage
9th December 2005, 07:25 PM
I think its when you make something and it turnes out Jack-schizen so you decide to burn it:rolleyes:
Oh! 0K, I call it firewood!....Ha!Ha!..:D

savage
9th December 2005, 07:30 PM

cheers

RB
Sorry for the Hi-Jack, RB now I know the correct name for it, I have a copper core burner, but it is used for another hobby, as for which is the best unit I can't answer as I have only used the one I have and can't give a comparison.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th December 2005, 12:49 AM

Can't say I like any of CT's stock. [shrug] You're right about not buying sub-standard stock, too. If it takes an expert to get passable results with a setup, what good is it to a newby?

There's two main things to look for: easily replacable tips of assorted styles and some form of temp control. Full control is great, 3-5 "settings" is acceptable. There's other things, of course. Does it sit comfortably in her hand? Are the cable(s) and connections good quality and long enough to be usable? Too short is a right pain.

If she really gets into pyrography then she might start looking at ones with dual hand-pieces and other extra complications. :D

ptc
10th December 2005, 08:52 AM
Razertip MIK international.
Good book on it
The Complete Pyrography.
Stephen Poole
you may get it at your local library.
i use it to sign my turnings and boxes.
but it belongs to my wife.

Iain
10th December 2005, 11:17 AM
I have a locally made unit, made from the ground up including winding their own transformers.
Tips can be purchased or you can buy the wire and make your own (special wire).
They come in single or double burner and have a variable heat setting.
Handles are made of wood which sit nicer than plastic.
Just can't remember the name but they are made in Kilsyth Vic.
http://www.newagemultimedia.com/woodwork/eComm/category64_1.htm
This is the unit, still no name but they are well made, not pretty just functional.
I have been abusing mine for about 7-8 years now and still going well.

Jim Carroll
11th December 2005, 10:30 AM
Iain they are PEM in single or double handleshttp://au.store.yahoo.com/cws-store/pem.html

Sprog
11th December 2005, 05:09 PM
cheers
RB

The Ironcore unit is good, easy to use, variable heat settings, uses cheap Nichrome wire for the tip, the tip can be made into various shapes for different patterning.

Jill
12th December 2005, 10:08 AM
Any chance of seeing some of the work done by the different machines, you guys? I'm looking at buying a Razertip, and am impressed with the lineup of tips available - but perhaps you can make your own quite easily? I want it for super-fine work as our kids are into art & want to burn sugar gliders & eagles, etc. (with loads of detail on feathering, etc.) onto their furniture. Will Ironcore wire flatten & shape easily, to make the kind of nibs needed for this? The Razertip has a nib that allows you to make something like 120 lines per inch, if I remember correctly.

Sorry about the thread hijack, Redback, but maybe it is info you want to know, anyway.

Thanks,

Jill

ptc
12th December 2005, 05:13 PM
Razertip,
Has nibs etc for all types of detail
ie: fish scales, birds feathers etc..
Get the book i refered to.

Sprog
12th December 2005, 07:15 PM
I want it for super-fine work as our kids are into art & want to burn sugar gliders & eagles, etc. (with loads of detail on feathering, etc.) onto their furniture.

Will Ironcore wire flatten & shape easily, to make the kind of nibs needed for this?
Thanks,
Jill

Yes, it is easy to make your own tips for the Ironcore.

See Sue Walters site for details of tips and the awesome work she creates.

Sue Walters site (http://www.suewalters.com/)
Woodburners, Tips, etc. (http://www.suewalters.com/Woodburners.html)

Iain
12th December 2005, 07:24 PM
Yes, it is easy to make your own tips for the Ironcore.]
Or the PEM, wire is available in different diameters and a former can be anything from a pair of pointy nose pliers to a small pin to bend the wire around.
The receivers are tubular with a screw to secure your burning tip of choice.

Jill
12th December 2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks ptc, Sprog & Iain, for the info. Sue sure does fantastic work with the Ironcore! I've been on her site in the past & had it saved to favourites.

Thanks for the hijack oportunity, too, Redback.

Cheers,

Jill