PDA

View Full Version : Penetrol to protect drilled holes?

MWF FEED
24th January 2022, 08:50 AM
Hi everyone. My question has two parts really.

The first part is that I need a better way to protect freshly-drilled grommet holes in painted bodywork. I've always just grabbed a spray paint can and given it a squirt, but usually I don't have the time or patience to let it dry properly so I just make a mess installing the grommet and probably end up with little or no real protection to the exposed metal.

The second part is that I still don't fully understand what Penetrol is, although it is available everywhere so presumably has plenty of users. I have found it leaves a nice thin durable coating on things like battery terminals - the end result seems something like a plasticky varnish?

I'm guessing that it would make a better protectant for drilled holes, and that its penetrant qualities should make it forgiving of grommet installation while still wet (as theoretically it should find its way back onto every surface after I'm done monkeying around, then toughen up to provide long term protection).

Do you agree? Any lovers or haters of Penetrol care to share their experience with it? Any better ways to treat drilled holes?

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=207621&goto=newpost)