PDA

View Full Version : Rubber vs urethane BS Tyres

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th January 2022, 11:00 PM
So, my upper bandsaw tyre decided to disintegrate in the middle of a job.

I was considering gluing down a simple leather replacement, but modern economics makes ordering rubber or urethane tyres the cheaper option.

The original tyres were rubber and were replaced about 10 years ago, so I'm happy with the way they lasted given the heavy use they've seen. I'm curious as to what sort of life expectancy the urethane tyres have though.

The prices between the two types seem relatively similar and while I have no problems gluing the rubber down, the slip fit of urethane intrigues me.

Has anyone run both types of tyres on the same machine? If so, how do they compare? Pretty much the same or do you think one type is superior to the other? If so, why?

BobL
27th January 2022, 11:14 PM
My experience is that rubber and urethan BS tyres las about the same time (10 years).

Interestingly the BS sawmill uses truck fan belts as tyres and they are at least 16 years and still going strong. They ride loosely in V grooves on the wheels.

Mountain Ash
28th January 2022, 07:58 AM
Hi SCD. I have installed some of the Carter urethane (blue) tyres to my bandsaw (12") and ended up having to use some rubber cement (from memory) to hold them in place. The slip fit just wasn't quite tight enough and they moved on the wheels.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th January 2022, 10:22 AM
Thanks fellas.

I'll probably stick with rubber as that's what it started life with. Now to leap down the rabbit hole and try to place an order.