PDA

View Full Version : need advice on particle board finish..

n!csta
13th December 2005, 10:15 PM
I'm currently building a platform bed which consists of side rails which measure 200mm x 2050mm and an end rail which is 200mm x 1620mm... this will hold a queen size mattress...

The side and end rails are 36mm thick particle board...achieved by using 2 x 18mm boards and some screws and liquid nails...

Construction is at the point where im looking for a nice black finish for the rails. I've painted particle board before and it never seems to give me the finish im after. I've done a search and found some members have had success by using automotive paints and fillers?? I really need something which will give me a nice smooth finish on the grain end of the particle board...

Do you think regular contact would be sufficient?? (the stuff school books are covered with) or I was thinking where I could get the laminate that cheap furniture from bargain shops are covered with?? usually this stuff is pretty flexible and easier to work with than laminex or similar..

Any thoughts or ideas??

brit_in_oz
14th December 2005, 10:33 PM
Particle board panel, especially in the center, is really poros and so you need to fill up the holes. I would suggest a two part building filler which can be sanded back after, an will giv a good finish (these are very very similar to car body fillers, they are all polyester polymer matrix based.)

Contact is not a great option because you will not get a good surface area to bond to, and the fibre pull out can weaken the edge, you really need to fill up the pores before glueing.

scooter
15th December 2005, 11:11 PM
n!, the face of particle board once sanded nicely gives a pretty smooth finish under spray paint.

Crap looking board edges is obviously the weakness of this type of board, as suggested use a polyester body filler such as builders bog to fill the edges then sand back smooth. Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear though.

Cheers...........Sean

soundman
16th December 2005, 07:15 PM
If you are filling edge grain on particle board, automotive fillers will be a bit expensive and hard slow work. One of the wood stopping fillers like timber mate will get you there faster and better.
thining the timbermate with a little ( a very little ) water will make it easy to rub into the edge grain.

A good high build primer undercoat will then bond & consolidate the sanded surface.

Don't get me wrong I love automotive bog as a timber filler bit I think a paste filler would be better in this case.
cheers

scooter
17th December 2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for that Soundy, I was thinking of mentioning timbermate but haven't used it & wasn't sure if it'd be the go.

Cheers................Sean, a fart & his pool will soon be moneyed :)