PDA

View Full Version : Lathe sugestions

MWF FEED
6th February 2022, 06:30 PM
Hello all

I am thinking of getting a new lathe. I have a perfectly serviceable QC6128 lathe (Chinese 610mm bed and 280mm swing). Yes that comment made no scenes to my wife either.

I am not sure what I want or if it even exists.

My list of requirements are as follows including the last.

- Bed must be over 600mm long up to about 1000mm max.
- Swing must be 280mm or if less have a decent width gap bed. 250mmswing is the smallest I would want.
- Minimum 30mm bore, prefer a bit bigger.
- Must be able to cut Metric and Imperial threads with very strong preference to minimal or no gear changes required. All lever operated.
- Must be reasonably to very ridged construction. It is home use but I want to take decent cuts.
- Must be able to do left hand threads.
- Must be able to spin above 1500 rpm.

So far this is what I have except for I have change gears and I don't want to go backwards.

- Must have separate control for power feed. I have to use the change gears to find the right feed rate.
- For my last requirement, which is probably the hardest. It must have some style about it. Call me crazy but the square block look of my current lathe does nothing for me. The look of an early Sheriton lathe is like fine art to me. It must have some curves and maybe a bit of polished alloy. I enjoy walking into a workshop and seeing nicely shaped machinery. It may not be any better quality but it looks it. I want a lathe that looks like someone took more than 5 minutes to come up with the design. Bonus points if it is Australian made.

If you are up for the challenge please let me know what I want.
Extra bonus points if you know where on is, especially if it is in SE QLD.

Thanks Steve

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=207705&goto=newpost)