PDA

View Full Version : how to sharpen an inshave

izaks
14th December 2005, 02:33 AM
Hi All <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I'm making my first chair and soon will need to make the seat. I have mediocre sharpening skills and get by with chisels but can't imagine how to maintain the same sharp edge on a tool like inshave. <o:p></o:p>
Can you recommend a way to sharpen inshave or a scorp? What are the recommended angles for the primary and secondary bevels? Any tips or jigs will be highly appreciated.<o:p></o:p>
Thanks, izaks. <o:p></o:p>

ryanarcher
14th December 2005, 03:53 AM
Welcome Izaks! it's cool to have an Israli member now. :D I'll let the other lot reply first about the scorp because they'll probably be more adept at it than me. :)
-Ryan

AlexS
14th December 2005, 11:28 AM
I'm also holding off buying a scorp until someone tells us how to sharpen it.:o

izaks
14th December 2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks ryanarcher,
<O:p</O:p
I've been lurking here for about a year now and really like this forum. Usually I get all the info I need from old or ongoing threads but this one is different.
<O:p
I'm not very proficient with hand tools so all the furniture and outdoor projects I made were done primarily with power tools.
<O:p</O:p
I just discovered the joy of hand tools (was given an old record plane) and slowly purchasing more hand tools.<O:p

However, maintaining a sharp edge is still something I need to learn and the inshave look much more difficult in this aspect.
<O:p<O:p
Hope someone can comment on this. <O:p
<O:p
Izak.

scooter
14th December 2005, 08:11 PM
Welcome Izak !

You might want to check out this thread currently running on the same topic:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=24507

Cheers..................Sean

Different
14th December 2005, 11:11 PM
Actually I think it is easier to keep an edge on a curved blade than a straight one perhaps because only a small part of te blade is usually cutting at any one time and therefore the angles are less critical. Also you can adjust the angle of attack by slight variations in you technique.
I dont own either toool but hope to buy both one day. If I did find one in my workshop tomorrow I would sharpen them with various grades of wet and dry sandpaper wrapped arount or glued to large pieced of dowel or I would turn up something on the lathe perhaps a long thick taper so it could be used on a number of different tools.
In fact a taper from say 40mm to 150 or so say 700mm long wrapped in paper and held in a vice would do the trick just fine.

Ross