PDA

View Full Version : calculating skip requirement

gsouth
14th December 2005, 11:39 AM
All,
Probably a stupid question. I have had some concrete paving etc broken up and have it piled in the back yard.

How can I estimate the size skip I need in cubic metres?

Obviously I can calculate it as: length x width x depth of the concrete, however the pieces once broken up take up more space with the air between them......

Is there a rule of thumb I could use?

Cheers
Geoff

bigdazza
14th December 2005, 12:21 PM
Work out the volume you think you need then double it. Remember that the bin will be full of air voids particularly with broken up concrete and masonry.:rolleyes:

namtrak
14th December 2005, 04:10 PM
Double the volume.

We are upto our 12th bin on our renos - and I reckon another 5 to go at least!!

arose62
14th December 2005, 05:04 PM
Break the concrete into M&M shaped pieces.

Some boffin did a study a while back which proved that this shape will pack in more densely than spheres or (randomly tossed) cubes.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jacksin
14th December 2005, 06:01 PM
I dont know how these bin companies work interstate but here it also depends on weight.

Its not much good filling the bin to the brim with concrete if the truck cant lift it. The sight of a huge truck with its front wheels way off the ground is pretty hairy. Then the driver cant load it until you unload / lighten it.

scooter
14th December 2005, 08:21 PM
Don't forget to allow for the neighbours sneaking their crap in too! :D

Cheers...............Sean, what was yer address again? :D:D

vGolfer
16th December 2005, 08:48 AM
On the topic of skips, I reckon the whole industry is a bit of a sham. Where I live, we need to have a council permit as a component of payment for the skip hire. This for starters is an absolute crock...why should you have a bloody permit for this?

We used some skips at the start of our reno, then towards the end we needed a couple more. We were told that the council permit had gone from 2 weeks to 3 or 4 days I think it is now. So if you need 2 skips within 2 weeks, you generally need 2 council permits now whereas before you could get away with one. Bloody money grabbing councils.

I have also been reliably told by a few tradeys that a lot of the skip hire companies just keep the money that is supposed to be set aside for a permit.

A total sham if you ask me.

Our plumber told me that next time we have rubbish or reno stuff that needs to be cleared, he has a mate that runs a business that will come and pick it all up and take it away for a lot less than a skip hire.

Cheers

Zed
16th December 2005, 09:19 AM
this is the measure I use :

get a rope 2.2 times longer than you are, about 6 to 8mm in diameter.
hold each end of the rope in seperate hands
swing it in an arc over your head
lift your feet at the same time by jumping as the rope passes under your feet.
do this 3000 times in a row, count by 100's if you skip a beat restart from nearest 100 unit.
there you have it the "calves from hell" look out kickbozxers...

after you've done this you wont be buggered to lift stuff into a garbage bin....