PDA

View Full Version : Box joints in stock thicker than 3/8?

Justaccord
14th December 2005, 01:31 PM
I'm new to the Incra (LS). How do you do box joints in, say, 1/2 inch stock?

Termite
14th December 2005, 01:56 PM
Same way you do it in any thickness, just set your depth of cut very slightly more than your stock thickness. If you are only using a 1/4" finger then do it in two cuts to avoid overloading your cutter.

Sprog
14th December 2005, 01:57 PM
I'm new to the Incra (LS). How do you do box joints in, say, 1/2 inch stock?

Select the template/scale/bit you wish to use.
Centre the work.
Set depth of cut to the stock thickness plus a fraction.
Cut the joint as per the manual.
Assemble the joint.

underused
15th December 2005, 05:17 PM
Trying to keep sort of on topic, and not start a new thread. Ive recently purchased the LS Super System.
I havent had time to set it up yet, but upon inspection Ive found the right angle faceplate to be curved in toward the middle, and the top and bottom not flush with each other. Im sure this isnt the way its supposed to be. The right angle fixture looks a bit bent too.
Anyone else had any problems with the right angle fixture?
Ive tried to shim it, but its not going to straighten it right out.
Im quite dissapointed to be frank. It cost me $$$ to get this here. Ive contacted woodpecker (in the usa) where I ordered it. Still waiting for action.
Thanks. Gary.

Termite
15th December 2005, 05:23 PM
Trying to keep sort of on topic, and not start a new thread. Ive recently purchased the LS Super System.
I havent had time to set it up yet, but upon inspection Ive found the right angle faceplate to be curved in toward the middle, and the top and bottom not flush with each other. Im sure this isnt the way its supposed to be. The right angle fixture looks a bit bent too.
Anyone else had any problems with the right angle fixture?
Ive tried to shim it, but its not going to straighten it right out.
Im quite dissapointed to be frank. It cost me $$$ to get this here. Ive contacted woodpecker (in the usa) where I ordered it. Still waiting for action.
Thanks. Gary.

They are all the same, put a dummy face on it and shim to suit. You can also make the dummy face as wide as you want, within reason, eg 250mm - 300mm.

underused
15th December 2005, 10:52 PM
Thanks Termite.

With Incra boasting of their CNC technology, and me buying their top of the range router system I didnt think a bent faceplate and right angle fixture to be "the norm"...
When I get around to setting it up, and if I have no joy with woodpecker usa I'll take your advice and shim a new face on the original bent one.
Thanks. Gary.

graemecarson
20th December 2005, 05:51 PM
That's exactly why I bought locally. At least you'd have someone to talk to about it. I suspect that the local professional woodpeckers supplies (who now call themselves Professional Woodwoking/ers supplies) are always there to complain to if something is not right. And I found them more than sympathetic to a slightly bent corner on a rail. Don't think that happens as easily from the US of Eh!!

underused
23rd December 2005, 05:24 PM
Just to update:

Woodpecker contacted Incra, and today I was sent another Right angle fixture and faceplate. The problem is this one is the same as the other, bent...how disapointing... You were right Termite, it seems they are all the same and I will be making a new face for my new warped Incra super system.
Cheers and Merry Christmas. Gary