PDA

View Full Version : A burl or not a burl???

TTIT
14th December 2005, 01:57 PM
This is my very first post to anything like this EVER! Please be patient.
I've cut what I thought were burls from some local native trees but they don't seem to have the swirling random patterns I normally associate with burls. They seem to have growth layers or rings like any other part of the tree and veins that just ooze sap when first cut. These veins seem to end up vacant of filled with a pithy material like dry-rot in the older parts of the 'burl'. Tree's don't seem to last long enough out here (Central QLD) to burl up much and these 'excess growths' are about all I can find. Can anyone shed some light on what they are? (Now if I can work out how to attach my pics...)

Baz
14th December 2005, 08:11 PM
TTIT, looks like a burl to me, Stringybark?? Not all burls are figured most Stringybark I have seen look just like your first pic.
Cheers
Barry

echnidna
14th December 2005, 09:54 PM
got a few lumps on some trees,
was gunna cut a couple off
but if thats what messmate burls look like, dont think I'll bother

Dave52
15th December 2005, 12:33 PM
Damn terrible. Dont know what it is but here is what to do.
1. Find out where I live
2. Hire a truck
3. Bring it to my place and drop it on the front lawn
4. I will do the rest.

regards
dave52

reeves
15th December 2005, 01:10 PM
definaltey a stringbark burl, somes trees dont seem to produce the same burl consistency as others, also it may yopung in tree terms so has more 'real wood, isnide the 'burl..'

burls are a virus/tumor type of thing and seem to vary in constency.

cheeeeeers
john

old logger
17th December 2005, 01:00 AM
Having had worked in the wood industry for over 20 years,logging and sawmilling,I have seen plenty of burls.Many times you can get highly figured burls and looped burls on the same log.The looped burls have a tendency for the centre to pop out when drying.As simple loops are not that interesting by themselves I would route them out and insert a contrasting piece as a focal point.The looped rings then become a natural shaped frame.Ihad a friend who was heavily into lapidary work and on occasion he would cut a geode for me a an insert.This takes a plain visual effect and makes a striking statement.Have fun with it.

TTIT
18th December 2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks for the advice all! On the wrong track with the Stringybark though.
The first piece (2 pics) was from something that looks like Ghost gum and the other was off what I'm pretty sure was Coolibah. Old loggers theory on the looped-burl seems right - the middle of the Ghost gum piece has nearly let go already.
Was hoping all burls had figure like the chunk of She-oak I got the same day (attached). First shot at a natural edge and pretty happy with the result. I can study this piece for hours and still find something new in the figure.

Mikko
20th December 2005, 10:34 PM
Very nice!!! Lively grain pattern and good simple design that allows the timber to stand out. The lid knob is smashing!

Cheers,
Mikko

TTIT
20th December 2005, 11:50 PM
Very nice!!! Lively grain pattern and good simple design that allows the timber to stand out. The lid knob is smashing!

Cheers,
Mikko
Thanks for the positive comment Mikko - all compliments gratefully accepted!