PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw recommendations

Hangfire
20th February 2022, 03:06 PM
Hi all,

i am getting fed up of the resale prices of second hand units - they seem to be 80% of the initial price....

i missed out on a cracking old unit as i just couldnt get it home safely :(

so i am starting to think about buying new. (its my birthday at the end of next month)

(same thing happened to me with my planned table saw upgrade - i ended up with a carbatec cabinet saw)

if i was looking for a saw which would not need upgrading later - (i am a hobbyist rather than a pro) - what should i be looking for?

i have started to get into turning and can see me needing to resaw a bit to make blanks etc.
i really want to give bandsaw boxes a go - they look fun.

is 14 inches enough machine? dont want to go crazy with cost if i can help it - likewise, if 14 isnt enough i dont want to have to replace it....

my current saw is from aldi and has a tiny height - and is just rubbish - but it did what i needed it to do at the time.

i have been looking at the carbatec/timbecon/hafco units - all seem pretty similarly priced, of the bunch i prob prefer the look of the sherwood....

i can see that the laguna is a better machine than the carbys - and the other clones, but i cant see myself paying the premium

please enlighten this beffudled newbie in the magical arts of the bandsaw.

Hodgo
20th February 2022, 07:24 PM
I bought the Sherwood 14" standard from Timbecon
I'm learning what it/I can do as I go along

It cuts nice straight cuts when resawing especially after I put a new blade on from Henry bros
and a kreg fence and micro adjust (standard fence is a bit ordinary)

every time I use it I become more confident and think of new things I can do with it
I have no regrets in buying it

Like you I had to decide between the 3 from timbecon,carbatec and H&F which I beleive are all similar

you are lucky, you can look at all three in the flesh in melbourne before you buy
good luck with your decision

Hodgo

T91
20th February 2022, 11:50 PM
for a beginner
a Laguna bx14 or a Rikon 10-326

For me I would always go for a brake pedal, so I would actually go for the Rikon 10-353 in a 14"saw

Hangfire
21st February 2022, 07:06 AM
Would a carbatec sbw-4800 be a good unit? Being offered around 2k....

riverbuilder
21st February 2022, 07:36 AM
I had a Rikon one here on the river, Poundy has it now, it was an absolute beauty. Best guide system I’ve ever used and handled everything we threw at it. Go to JC Walsh at Airport west and see Andrew.

BobL
21st February 2022, 11:45 AM
Would a carbatec sbw-4800 be a good unit? Being offered around 2k....

I've had that BS for 14 years and still think it is a good machine.
CT don't seem to have any on display on their website but it is very similar to the H&F 19" 489A BS ($3399) - although that does have auto braking.
A $2k price would depends upon condition and how straight it cuts.

FWIW I found the 2HP motor a tad underpowered on deep hard cuts so I replaced it with a 3HP 3P variable speed - nothing stops it now.
19" BS upgrade (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/19-bs-upgrade-195900)
I've also added a foot brake.
BobLs bandsaw brake (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f27/bobls-bandsaw-brake-182752)

Alkahestic
21st February 2022, 05:29 PM
Laguna 14BX is an excellent bandsaw. The biggest limitation is 14" saws can't really run 1" blades (so the fancy TCT tipped resaw blades are out), but that applies to all 14" saws. If you need deeper than 340mm resaw, you will need a bigger saw. I've resawn (from memory it was around 250mm wide) spotted gum boards with mine and it handled the cuts well, spotted gum is very hard and dense. On the delicate side, I've cut 2mm veneers off a burl with a 3/4" bimetal blade, so no complaints there either. Have a decent sled or featherboard setup and the slice thickness is very even.

Hangfire
21st February 2022, 06:18 PM
could someone clarify for me, what is wrong with these?

https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-14in-standard-bandsaw - $1149 - 1150W - 220mm cut height cast aluminium flywheels
https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-14in-plus-bandsaw - $1699 - 1500W - 340mm cut height - cast iron flywheels
both 'american style steel bearings'

both listed as made in china

5 yr warranty

Laguna 14/12 Bandsaw CE Model* | Carbatec (https://www.carbatec.com.au/laguna-14-twelve-1-3-4hp-14in-bandsaw) - $2499 - 1300W - 340mm cut height cast iron flywheels
ceramic bearings
2 yr warranty

Rikon Bandsaw 350mm 10-326 - JC WALSH MACHINERY & SERVICE PTY LTD (https://www.jcwalsh.com.au/product/rikon-bandsaw-350mm-deluxe/) - $2172 - 1300W - 330mm cut height - assume cast iron flywheels
top and bottom roller guides

the quality seems to step up with the timbecon plus model - what is it that i am getting from the rikon/laguna that is worth the extra 5/800 bucks? (kinda pushing it out of my budget really)

Camelot
21st February 2022, 07:50 PM
Hi Hangfire, I would go with the "Sherwood plus" you get a little bigger motor, but a second hand full cast frame would be better, I recently bought a 27 inch and got it home on a car trailer, when buying heavy machines a flat bed car trailer with electric winch is the way to go, you can unload with no help from others.

Hodgo
21st February 2022, 07:50 PM
been there done that

Camelot
21st February 2022, 08:16 PM
There is this Taiwan made Bandsaw, which is a bigger machine second hand Bandsaw Carbetec | Power Tools | Gumtree Australia Cardinia Area - Maryknoll | 1290514265 (https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/maryknoll/power-tools/bandsaw-carbetec/1290514265)

Camelot
21st February 2022, 08:27 PM
Sorry wrong link in last post Carbatec 21 (530mm) Heavy Duty - 3HP Bandsaw | Power Tools | Gumtree Australia Melbourne City - West Melbourne | 1288494693 (https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/west-melbourne/power-tools/carbatec-21-530mm-heavy-duty-3hp-bandsaw/1288494693)

Hangfire
21st February 2022, 08:33 PM
thats the one that said they would sell for 2k...

- - - Updated - - -

i dont have a 15amp circuit :(

Camelot
21st February 2022, 08:54 PM
If you have any spare slots in your consumer board, you could add 15 amp circuit, I have a Woodfast 8"planer that came with a 15 amp plug, when I put my amp meter on it the start up amp's where around 17, but it runs at only 8 amps, so no problem running it on a standard circuit, the breaker does not trip, because they are designed to allow for initial start up loads.

BobL
21st February 2022, 10:13 PM
If you have any spare slots in your consumer board, you could add 15 amp circuit, I have a Woodfast 8"planer that came with a 15 amp plug, when I put my amp meter on it the start up amp's where around 17, but it runs at only 8 amps, so no problem running it on a standard circuit, the breaker does not trip, because they are designed to allow for initial start up loads.

Did you check the current when it was under high load ie actually planing some serious hardwood?

Hangfire
21st February 2022, 10:27 PM
not sure - how much would a 15amp circuit cost to have installed?

probably leaning towards the timbecon 14 plus at the moment, but will be waiting a while so if something comes up....

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 12:05 AM
Did you check the current when it was under high load ie actually planing some serious hardwood?

The 8 amp's is when under load milling Ironbark 95mm x 95mm balustrade posts, it's the spiral head cutter block version (2hp motor), so small chips and only light passes at a time, I'm only looking to straighten the posts before being dimensioned through the 3 phase thicknesser, which I built a Rotary Phase Converter for using an old Welder as a step up transformer, because I only have 240v single phase. I'm not sure why it came with a 15 amp plug on a 2hp motor when I have a 3hp dust extractor with a 10 amp plug.

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 12:13 AM
not sure - how much would a 15amp circuit cost to have installed?

probably leaning towards the timbecon 14 plus at the moment, but will be waiting a while so if something comes up....

It would depend on how far you would need to run the cable from your consumer board to where you want your outlet to be, the 15 amp breaker would be less than $20, then you have the cost of the cable (2.5mm twin & earth), conduit, clips and a socket. You would need a sparky to do the job, so add a couple of hours labour at say $50 per hour.

Mountain Ash
22nd February 2022, 07:53 AM
so add a couple of hours labour at say $50 per hour.

Not sure where you can find electricians at this rate. Down here you would have to at least double that and add a call out fee.

Hangfire
22nd February 2022, 09:34 AM
I had a sparky extend my current circuit to add more plugs in the garage... it was hundreds.

BobL
22nd February 2022, 09:41 AM
The 8 amp's is when under load milling Ironbark 95mm x 95mm balustrade posts, it's the spiral head cutter block version (2hp motor), so small chips and only light passes at a time, I'm only looking to straighten the posts before being dimensioned through the 3 phase thicknesser, which I built a Rotary Phase Converter for using an old Welder as a step up transformer, because I only have 240v single phase. I'm not sure why it came with a 15 amp plug on a 2hp motor when I have a 3hp dust extractor with a 10 amp plug.

That sounds about right I get about 7A when facing 100mm wide spotted gum on my 2HP planer. But the manufacturers have to allow for the fact that some customers try thick passes at full width and that's when it cn really load up.

Fortunately most folks will use planers to put a square edge boards so they are used mostly for light work.

I have a small dyno that enables me to test the HP ratings of motors and my experience is that HP ratings on electric motors are fairly nominal. eg I can make the 3HP motor on my TS draw ~12A on a deep cut in hard wood and it will draw up to 17A before the motors thermal fuse kicks in.

In contrast a 3HP DC with a 10A plug will not usually go above 9.5A because it has a fixed load ie a fixed impeller size moving a maximum amount of air.
A 3HP DC with a 10A plug is a sign of a deliberately choked DC.
By the time a 3HP is attached to ducting, machines, filters (or a cyclone) and moving sawdust, the current draw is often be below 9A.
On the opposite side, if the impeller is large enough and run without any filters and the front of the impeller fully open - then a 3HP may draw a lot more than 10A.

Interesting comparison of straight versus helix cutter head power draw in this vid
The video I wish I watched before buying a Shelix - YouTube (https://youtu.be/47PyY4K47KU)

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 05:20 PM
That sounds about right I get about 7A when facing 100mm wide spotted gum on my 2HP planer. But the manufacturers have to allow for the fact that some customers try thick passes at full width and that's when it cn really load up.

Fortunately most folks will use planers to put a square edge boards so they are used mostly for light work.

I have a small dyno that enables me to test the HP ratings of motors and my experience is that HP ratings on electric motors are fairly nominal. eg I can make the 3HP motor on my TS draw ~12A on a deep cut in hard wood and it will draw up to 17A before the motors thermal fuse kicks in.

In contrast a 3HP DC with a 10A plug will not usually go above 9.5A because it has a fixed load ie a fixed impeller size moving a maximum amount of air.
A 3HP DC with a 10A plug is a sign of a deliberately choked DC.
By the time a 3HP is attached to ducting, machines, filters (or a cyclone) and moving sawdust, the current draw is often be below 9A.
On the opposite side, if the impeller is large enough and run without any filters and the front of the impeller fully open - then a 3HP may draw a lot more than 10A.

Interesting comparison of straight versus helix cutter head power draw in this vid
The video I wish I watched before buying a Shelix - YouTube (https://youtu.be/47PyY4K47KU)

Yes with the helix the motor is continually under load because there is always a cutter in contact with the timber unlike a traditional knife block

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 05:30 PM
I had a sparky extend my current circuit to add more plugs in the garage... it was hundreds.

Did he put a secondary breaker board in your garage and run socket outlets from that, if so then providing the breaker board does have some free slots a 15 amp would not be too expensive. I had my own construction company for many years so I had to learn M&E to make sure my subcontractors were not ripping me off, so I have no problem understanding domestic electric's and plumbing, which is a great advantage when dealing with these trades.

Hangfire
22nd February 2022, 06:09 PM
Think he just added more plugs to the circuit which was already in the garage. Had used him many times previously and was pretty unhappy with the bill. Won't be using him again.

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 06:15 PM
Think he just added more plugs to the circuit which was already in the garage. Had used him many times previously and was pretty unhappy with the bill. Won't be using him again.

WOW, and that cost you hundreds, I was thinking I bought a Bandsaw in VIC back in 2019, but have never been able to collect it, its probably no good for you because it's 3 phase and your workshop is in your garage and this is a big saw.

Hangfire
22nd February 2022, 07:07 PM
these older units do seem to keep popping up
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pLoAAOSwLehiFFDY/s-l800.webp

24 inch - very yellow!

will enquire about details, but likely to buy new if i cant house something like this....

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 07:33 PM
these older units do seem to keep popping up
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pLoAAOSwLehiFFDY/s-l800.webp

24 inch - very yellow!

will enquire about details, but likely to buy new if i cant house something like this....

That's not a bad price

Hangfire
22nd February 2022, 07:57 PM
Do you know what it is????

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 08:52 PM
Do you know what it is????

In the Gumtree advert pic's it says Carba-Tec

Hangfire
22nd February 2022, 09:08 PM
couldnt see the model number...

and dont recall carby seling in yellow.

a 24 inch saw is probably 15amp right?
it does say single phase

Camelot
22nd February 2022, 09:10 PM
couldnt see the model number...

and dont recall carby seling in yellow.

a 24 inch saw is probably 15amp right?
it does say single phase
It also says standard plug

Hangfire
25th February 2022, 09:16 PM
It also says standard plug

owner hasnt responded in days... timbecon have a 15% off weekend - think i will just go get their 14 inch plus model. if i outgrow it i will prob end up buying new and getting a 3 phase or 15 amp circuit fitted - its just too much hassle dealing with these idiots on gumtree!

Chris Parks
25th February 2022, 09:49 PM

At 110 Volts

Hangfire
26th February 2022, 02:49 PM
bugger - it was a personal promo code instead of a blanket one - and it couldnt be used with sherwood stuff :(

BobL
26th February 2022, 03:10 PM
At 110 Volts

Does anyone have numerical evidence that it's any different at 240V or 415V?

Albert
16th March 2022, 08:48 AM
I happen to be in the market for a bandsaw... went to Carbatec to get my supplies yesterday and had a look at Laguna's both 14 and 18. Cant believe my eyes when I saw the price tag for a 18bx. $5400 NZD for a hobbyist saw. you pay a little more (between $1-$2k NZD) and get a true industrial bandsaw made by ACM rebadged as SCM (S440P).

Hangfire
22nd March 2022, 06:30 PM
ok - having issues.
cant find anything reasonably priced 2nd hand that i can get home.
3 realistic choices:
1 - timbecon std 14 inch bandsaw
https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-14in-standard-bandsaw - 1149 - may well fit in the boot so no delivery fee (HF/carbatec do a clone)
2 - timbecon 14 inch plus
https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-14in-plus-bandsaw - 1699 - will need to pay delivery plus tailgate - best part of 200 bucks
3 - HF BP-355
W4224 - BP-355 Wood Band Saw | Hare & Forbes Machineryhouse (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W4224) currently 1419 - reckon i can get it into the boot in 2 parts.

personally i like the look of the 14 plus, and it has the best resaw and cast iron wheels. but getting it home or accepting a delivery is turning into a pallava....

i am a bit short on manpower to move stuff around, but can perhaps get 1 guy to help with a trailer if the timbecon one is clearly the best of the bunch???

Tom trees
23rd March 2022, 03:48 AM
ok - having issues.
cant find anything reasonably priced 2nd hand that i can get home.

i am a bit short on manpower to move stuff around, but can perhaps get 1 guy to help with a trailer if the timbecon one is clearly the best of the bunch???

Since you have space for a floor standing machine, then anything up to 20"/500mm wheels will likely be as easy to move.
I had a 20" machine bought at a show, (which went back to the shop)
It was a reasonable 200kgs, but in a plywood box.
The shop owner just put a sack barrow under one end which I was to find out was the column (spine) side.
He wheeled it over to the trailer on a very bad yard with incline, and I was erratically running ether side of him incase it might have tipped over.
I cannot remember if the table was also in the box.

Just saying incase you see something local used pop up.
Take the table off and tilt it down on the column...
If you're not very tall, and the machine is, then get a thick post and put this under the guidepost end of the base
(Hefty fencepost is also very nice to have for getting hands and clearance for possible switch cables underneath)

This s a 600mm Italian machine, which is a lot larger than a 500mm far Eastern compact machine I had.
Note the block under the front, not very chunky and I'm not very tall, so was made more difficult, coulda been three times as thick, last time I tipped over the saw was at me folks shed with a sloping floor so was able to reach the top easier for leverage.
Note that there is no mad weight to the machine when tilting, only when beyond 45, and then a moderate amount,
unless deadlifting the machine whilst lying down.
I could sling that 500mm machine about now after getting used to how to do it,
Basically dismantle table, chok the guide end of base, tilt the column down onto whatever its going in/on.

Bring some tools for dismantling
Fence post or what have you, some cardboard, carpet, or old jackets, and a dolly or two if it needs to be moved horizontally.
Some pipe might be utilized whilst vertical, should you be thinking of painting, if not it will chip.

Good luck with whatever ya get
Tom

Hangfire
5th April 2022, 07:12 PM
hi all - its bandsaw month at timbecon - so i am finally eyeing off the 14 inch plus model - its $1550 though

does anyone know anything about the:Carbatec BAS350-B Bandsaw
looks like their current 14 incher - we have one come up 2nd hand for 750 - probably get it a bit cheaper - with blades etc - is it worth getting or would i just be disappointed?

delbs
6th April 2022, 10:28 AM
hi all - its bandsaw month at timbecon - so i am finally eyeing off the 14 inch plus model - its $1550 though

does anyone know anything about the:Carbatec BAS350-B Bandsaw
looks like their current 14 incher - we have one come up 2nd hand for 750 - probably get it a bit cheaper - with blades etc - is it worth getting or would i just be disappointed?

I own a BAS350B, I bought mine second hand for 450 (mine might be older than the model your looking at) with only a blade and the fence and stand it came with. Since then I’ve bought a magnetic base LED light, mobile base, cleaned up the table and a few blades and it’s rock solid I think it’s great

I just use it for rough cuts and curves etc as I primarily work with hand tools. I have the 20mm resale carbatech blade on it at the moment and whilst I haven’t actually tried cutting veneers it has performed great with every hardwood I’ve thrown at it :)

If the price is negotiable I’d recommend getting one

Cheers
Nathan

Hangfire
7th April 2022, 09:14 PM
anyone know which model this is? wants 800 bucks which seems a bit steep...509875

BobL
8th April 2022, 09:14 AM
anyone know which model this is? wants 800 bucks which seems a bit steep...509875

Even though its a Carbtech it looks like a Hare and Forbes NP-355
They're $1600 new so depending on condition $800 might be a fair price.

Hangfire
8th April 2022, 07:24 PM
hey bobl

thats what i thought.

the guy says it is 1hp though so not the same as h/f

this is the only model number on it... 509906

Hangfire
8th April 2022, 08:46 PM
i wonder if it is a WBS-14L model (found a product manual) but cant find much info on what it is about.... owner says it is 8-10 yrs old and 1hp

Hangfire
18th April 2022, 10:17 AM
i put an order in for the sherwood 14 plus along with some blades a mobile base and some gauges etc (i also included a set of cole jaws for my lathe chuck)

2k down but i can stop looking at gumtree and facebook/ebay obsessively!!

out of stock till 11th of may, but i can wait a few weeks.

delbs
18th April 2022, 11:51 AM
It should serve you well. I’ve avoided having a tablesaw and most other machines in my workshop for years now as I’m mostly hand tools oriented with exception to my 14”band saw and lathe they’re very useful assistants

Mobile base has been one of the best additions to it next to blades and an LED light :)

homey
18th April 2022, 12:06 PM
Hi Hangfire,

We have the previous model of this saw at our Men’s Shed. It is still going strong after 4-5 years of pretty rugged treatment and we’d buy one again.

Regards,

Brian

compeasy
27th March 2024, 07:44 AM
Hi, Just thought I'd let people know that I took delivery of a new Laguna 18BX this week and discovered something annoying.

To get CE compliance they have fitted a deadman brake onto the motor. This is IMO superfluous since you already have a foot brake that stops the blade from turning and cuts power to the motor.

The worst thing about this is that it makes it almost impossible to turn the flywheels when the machine is turned off. So adjusting the tracking on a newly installed blade is a pain in the aorta! ☹️

Thinking of removing the electric brake on mine but worried about warranty implications.

Please let me know if you have a solution to the tracking adjustment issue?

Thanks!
Mark.