PDA

View Full Version : DIY polishing granite and marble slabs

Arron
20th February 2022, 05:59 PM
Hi. Has anyone had any success at DIY polishing old granite, marble or Caesarstone slabs.

I’ve got some salvaged black granite at the the moment. I cut it to the appropriate size for a vanity top without any problem, but polishing the edge is beyond me. I can get it close but just never really glossy. I have from 100 to 6000 grits which I apply sequentially but somehow the result just doesn’t come.

I’m thinking if I could at least polish the edges that would be good. I don’t expect to be able to repolish the flat surfaces although if someone has done that successfully then let’s hear about it.

Over the years I’ve had quite a few salvaged slabs that I should have been able to do something with - including a mountain of Carrara marble salvaged from a very rich persons bathroom - I should have been able to do something with that but foolishly I just gave it away or dumped it.

Anyone done this?

zagg1
20th February 2022, 07:10 PM
Hi Arron
i found this worked on some Aldi terrazzo platters & it gives nice finish.
Lithofin MN polish Made in Germany but posted from Victoria.
Cheers
zagg1

Tonyz
20th February 2022, 08:56 PM
all I know is use and wear really QUALITY breathing aspirators that stuff in your lungs is the new MDF /asbestos epidemic

China
21st February 2022, 12:44 AM
My mate who is a Memorial Mason wet polishes granite edges at equivalent to 12,000.

Arron
21st February 2022, 04:35 AM
all I know is use and wear really QUALITY breathing aspirators that stuff in your lungs is the new MDF /asbestos epidemic

Wet cut and wet grind

Arron
21st February 2022, 04:51 AM
Hi Arron
i found this worked on some Aldi terrazzo platters & it gives nice finish.
Lithofin MN polish Made in Germany but posted from Victoria.
Cheers
zagg1

Yes, I see that as an alternate approach. Stop polishing early and don’t get too worried about the surface, and then wax it. You’re basically just polishing the wax, not the stone. I had a friend who was a marble cutter who told me that the majority of slabs were done that way. He regarded it as a scam because the customer believed they were buying a slab mechanically ground to a high polish, but they were in fact buying a slab ground to a low standard and then polished with wax. The problem was in how long the wax coat lasted as the customer was locked into occasionally repolishing with wax, forever.

I should try my surfaces with some easily obtainable wax, like car wax, and see what happens. I don’t mind cheating and I d9nt mind wax polishing occasionally.

Thanks for fresh perspective.

Arron
21st February 2022, 04:58 AM

Wet cut and wet grind