PDA

View Full Version : Cladding for shed

robatman
14th December 2005, 11:47 PM
I am finally getting out from unbelievably cramped workshop under the house (i am 6'6 and only have a few inches head clearance from the floor above!!) and going to build a shed in the backyard.

It will only be relatively small (6x4m) but i need to do it on a budget (well we all work to a budget but mine is very limited!), and i am wondering what will be the cheapest exterior, eg colorbond, hardiplank etc. I am also open to sources for buying the above second hand.

Thanks
Robert

floydus
15th December 2005, 09:16 AM
Robatman, the advantages of using colorbond over other materials such as hardiplank, are the stuff goes on really quick, especially when laying horizontally, its pre-painted, its relatively cheap, and you can order it to whatever length you want.
Its also an architects material of choice these days, so it also looks pretty good. One thing that is essential is to fit sisaltion or anticon (foil backed insulation) behind the colorbond so that your workspace is relatively comfortable.
I've used colorbond for the cladding on our house cause i love the stuff, and with a few custom made flashings to go around windows, its extremely weatherproof.

rmcpb
16th December 2005, 08:22 AM
I would vote for colourbond. It goes on quickly, has a bracing effect on the frame, put it on and forget. I used it on my shed BUT make sure you use that foil backed insulation otherwise it will be a furnace in summer!!

robatman
17th December 2005, 11:35 PM
thanks guys- looks like its colorbond. thanks for the tip on sealing/insulation- i'm used to a pretty stable temp all year round under the house!!
robert

lnt9000
18th December 2005, 12:27 AM
thanks guys- looks like its colorbond. thanks for the tip on sealing/insulation- i'm used to a pretty stable temp all year round under the house!!
robert
Robert it might pay you to have a read on the link below to avoid the pitfalls associated with colorbond.
http://www.bluescopesteel.com.au/go/tools-and-resources/how-to/install-cladding

pharmaboy2
18th December 2005, 09:04 AM
The re-radiated heat from colourbond can be extreme, so needs to be considered. Light colours only for a start, if you have a west facing wall that gets lots of direct sun, you will need to shade it, or paint in an insulation paint. Given you are on na budget, get round to building sites that are colourbond roofed or walled, and around lockup time, there are always decent amounts of insulblanket in the dumpster out the front - doesnt come in easy packs like batts so there is often waste. This if course is free.

If you are exposed where heat is going to be a problem in the day, thenfibre cement is also a cheap option - if you really want to save you can use thinner board, villaboard or lining FC which is less than $10 a metre (just pray you never get those tennis ball sized hail stones!).

Anyway try and get as much free insulation as you can - the more the better - the more comfortable

rmcpb
19th December 2005, 02:07 PM
Another real help but its a long term on is to plant some deciduous trees around your shed. Shade in summer, sun in winter :)

Also think about putting a single sheet of the plastic sheeting that goes with colourbond into one wall to allow in heaps of light. Mine is along the wall under a large pear tree and lets in the light but not the sun in summer.

Trees are great insulators if you have the room and time.