PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool Nova 3000 conversion

jaybird
5th March 2022, 12:34 PM
I have an early model (1997) Nova 3000 lathe that I'm considering converting to variable speed. The motor it has now is 1hp I think, and it has an 8 step pulley. Knowing nothing about doing this I found this ad for a setup that might do the job. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track Thanks.

Three Phase varaible frequency drive with Electric motor speed control package (https://cononmotor.com.au/product/three-phase-varaible-frequency-drive-with-electric-motor-speed-control-package/)

DJ’s Timber
5th March 2022, 12:43 PM
That link is for 415v three phase power in and out.

I think this would suit you better, Single Phase varaible frequency drive with Electric motor speed control package (https://cononmotor.com.au/product/single-phase-varaible-frequency-drive-with-electric-motor-speed-control-package/) this is 240v 1 phase in and 240v 3phase out

jaybird
5th March 2022, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the reply, I must have clicked the wrong link DJ, that was the one I meant.

Gary H
25th March 2022, 08:24 AM
I am also looking at the Conon Motor VFD & Motor package and so far all of my questions have been answered quickly (and patiently). I also like the idea of buying from a local firm who have an open warehouse and someone you can talk to. The VFD supplied in the package deal is a BD600 series FoLinn and I would appreciate hearing from any member who has used of their units. BobL, and others, advise to find a VFD conversant sparkie first before buying. This is great advice, as proven by my (so far) unsuccessful attempts to find one. But still looking.

Forgot to mention that the manual for the 600 series VFD is readily available if you want to check it out - it's only 171 pages :D

Cheers, Gary

NeilS
26th March 2022, 12:23 PM
I have an early model (1997) Nova 3000 lathe that I'm considering converting to variable speed. The motor it has now is 1hp I think, and it has an 8 step pulley. Knowing nothing about doing this I found this ad for a setup that might do the job. Can anyone tell me if I'm on the right track Thanks.

Three Phase varaible frequency drive with Electric motor speed control package (https://cononmotor.com.au/product/three-phase-varaible-frequency-drive-with-electric-motor-speed-control-package/)

Are you planning to also go to 2HP (1.5kw)?

I reckon the Nova 3000 would cope with 2HP. Not so sure about 3HP.

Gary H
26th March 2022, 03:17 PM
After a lot of homework, and a good read of the manual, I'm all set to order my 1.1Kw motor/1.5Kw VFD package. That's a 1.5HP motor compared to the current 3/4HP in my Woodfast. The place to read all about VFD's is the Electricals section of the Metalwork Forum (just register like you did for this forum) and away you go. And I recommend BobL's article on "VFD's for Newbies". In the Metal Work forum you will find several members have used the Conon Motor packages and I have not seen one who was unhappy. Motor size may be governed by the space available and you should check the shaft size if planning on using the pulleys you already have (and I'll bet you never have to use the whole 8 pulleys to get the speeds you have now :D). Good luck with your conversion.

Gary H

BobL
26th March 2022, 07:25 PM
I'll bet you never have to use the whole 8 pulleys to get the speeds you have now :D). Good luck with your conversion.

One issue that doesn't seem to get a mention is that leaving all the pulleys available (eg at a mens shed) could lead to serious problems.

My Woodfast has about about 70rpm/Hz on the highest speed pulley pair. The motor will run smoothly at 120Hz which equates to 8400 rpm which is going to be pretty scary. I've limited mine to 90Hz max or 6300 rpm but that is still very fast but it's me only using it so I should know not to crank things up that fast

One thing that reminds me my lathe is going too fast is the 1c size tacho magnet flies off the headstock at about 4000 rpm.

Apart from the danger of workpieces flying off, most headstock bearings (especially on cheaper lathes) are probably not up to those high speeds for any length of time. To do this they would need to be running an oil or high speed grease lube

Gary H
26th March 2022, 09:44 PM
:whs: Good point Bob, thanks. I am keeping the 5 step pulley but have calculated that I will only use 2 of them (at most). Will probably mark the other three (tape or red paint) to remind me, and others, not to use them.

jaybird
28th March 2022, 04:09 PM
Are you planning to also go to 2HP (1.5kw)?

I reckon the Nova 3000 would cope with 2HP. Not so sure about 3HP.

Thanks Neil.
I have been thinking about that I just need to look at the shaft size and the measurements of the mounting plate.

jaybird
28th March 2022, 04:22 PM
After a lot of homework, and a good read of the manual, I'm all set to order my 1.1Kw motor/1.5Kw VFD package. That's a 1.5HP motor compared to the current 3/4HP in my Woodfast. The place to read all about VFD's is the Electricals section of the Metalwork Forum (just register like you did for this forum) and away you go. And I recommend BobL's article on "VFD's for Newbies". In the Metal Work forum you will find several members have used the Conon Motor packages and I have not seen one who was unhappy. Motor size may be governed by the space available and you should check the shaft size if planning on using the pulleys you already have (and I'll bet you never have to use the whole 8 pulleys to get the speeds you have now :D). Good luck with your conversion.

Gary H

Thanks Gary,
I'm not sure on the shaft size in the Nova Pulleys but I think its 19mm. I also need to remove the motor to see if the base plate will fit. This will probably determine which one I would use as it would mean using different pulleys and altering the plate. You will beat me to it so I will be interested to see what you think.

Gary H
28th March 2022, 10:03 PM
I wanted to keep the original pulleys so they matched the pulleys on the headstock. The shaft on the old motor was 19mm but when I removed the pulleys off the motor I found there was enough meat to bore them out to 24mm to fit the new motor. But will wait for the new motor to arrive before getting the pulley bored out as am not sure how accurate the quoted 24mm is. Will keep you posted.

NeilS
29th March 2022, 06:17 AM
After a lot of homework, and a good read of the manual, I'm all set to order my 1.1Kw motor/1.5Kw VFD package. That's a 1.5HP motor compared to the current 3/4HP in my Woodfast.

Garry, I couldn't see a 1.1kw motor option in that package from Conon Motors in the links above. That is why I raised 2HP rather than 1HP. Are you planning on sourcing yours from another supplier?

I agree that a 1.5HP motor is a good option and adequate for almost anything you would want to do on a lathe. The one exception I've found is with coring very large bowls. 2HP or 3HP would be better for that, but then not everyone needs or wants to core large bowls!

Gary H
29th March 2022, 08:26 AM
The 2HP motor was just a bit too awkward to fit in the existing space and Conon were happy to supply a 1.5HP motor with the 2HP VFD as a cheaper package even though it's not advertised. So yes, still buying from Conon (and then got a 10% discount, even on their very reasonable freight charge) :2tsup:.

Disclaimer: No connection with Conon, other than as a so far happy customer.

Gary H
5th April 2022, 03:51 PM
Well, it's arrived and am very happy with it. The VFD/motor package was dearer than some others, but I was happy to pay a bit extra to get it from an Australian supplier in case of warranty claims and to seek advice.

Have set it up on the bench (as recommended by a member - Thanks) for the initial programming and familiarisation. This made it a lot easier with just two short sets of cable and everything out where I could see what I was doing. The manual is good, but I wish manuals came with an index so I could easily find what I'm looking for.

The 1.1Kw motor fits easily into the cabinet and the feet are the same spacing as the original 3/4HP motor, so that's another win. So, in short, using the old pulleys (bored out to 24mm) and the same base plate for mounting the motor. And will only be using a couple of the pulleys. Another couple of learning sessions and then, sticking to the K-I-S-S principal, I will start playing with fitting a remote speed control, and a forward,stop, reverse switch - still with the VFD and motor on the bench. So far, very happy :2tsup:

ps: A trick for the unwary - I noticed that the motor (straight out of the box and connected to the VFD as instructed) was running in the wrong direction. It was an easy fix, but I can just imagine some poor fellow spending hours sharpening his chisels because they weren't cutting! :wink: