PDA

View Full Version : table saw on a budget

felixe
15th December 2005, 11:25 AM
I am looking at a table saw - I have a budget of up to $1000. Cannot decide between the delta 10 inch table saw De 36, or the Carba tec 10 inch table saw CT 10st, with sliding table. Only $100 difference and both from carba tec. I guess the question is - Is the sliding table worth $100 to use for cutting panels or is it just taking up useful space at that size?

GregLee
15th December 2005, 01:04 PM
Carbatec Web Site has the Delta 36-650 on a clearance special for $649.. I have one and it's not bad. Reasonable fence.. Build quality appears to be much better that the other Carbatec contractor saws.. And at $649 with a blade.. Then you can buy yourself a good rip, crosscut and dado blades and still have change from a $1000...

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=180_450_3080_19175

Have a look...

Samson13
15th December 2005, 02:07 PM
Felixe

I have the Delta and am very happy with it. The salesman from Carbatec actually recommended it over the Carbatec saw. I don't know anything about the Carbatec model but check the arbour to see if it can take a 5/8" bore dado set.

Cheers

felixe
15th December 2005, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback, the deal on the delta makes it seem a good choice. What interests me about the Carbatec model is the sliding attachment, has anyone out there used this model? Is the sliding table worth the money or is it just for show. I would like to cut panels and so I am considering this model over the delta.

GregLee
15th December 2005, 06:22 PM
I don't think that the sliding table on that saw would be much good for panel cutting. Maybe Ok for crosscut but not sure of aligning it.

If you really want a sliding table the have a look at the Hafco ST250($1250) then you will get a reasonable sliding table. Or better yet the Jet Supersaw ($2000).

inferno6688
15th December 2005, 06:52 PM
I am currently looking for a TS with that same budget!! That Delta seems like a good deal at $650! whats everyones experince with it? How is the fence?

Also checkout the Hafco SB-10 SAWBENCH and SB-10H, they are both 3hp saws.

Cheers

GregLee
15th December 2005, 08:06 PM
I am currently looking for a TS with that same budget!! That Delta seems like a good deal at $650! whats everyones experince with it? How is the fence?

I have the Delta and have been very happy with it and I bought mine at the pre-sale price.. I would be even happier if I had only paid $649 for it. Carbatec threw in a good quality CMT Crosscut blade with mine as well as the Combo blade that comes with the saw.

Once you set the saw up correctly I've had no problem. The fence on this saw is far better than any of the fences I have seen on any of the other cheap contractor saws. You won't get a better fence until you go to something like the Bessemeyer Style fence. Don't get me wrong this saw is not perfect and yes if I had the money I would have bought the Jet Supersaw or if I had both the money and the space a Cabinet saw.

You could also look at the Jet Contractor Saw. Gary Pye in Brisbane sells them. They are priced at under the $1000 without a blade and all the Jet equipment I've seen has been good quality

Here is a picture. Also if you really need a good fence buy this fence as an addon to pretty much any saw.

felixe
16th December 2005, 09:56 AM
how about the mess. As a contractor saw does it throw around more dust and chips than a saw on an enclosed base, or is it a simple matter of enclosing the stand? I have looked at it and the issue in this regard seems to be the drive belts going from motor the saw. But then again is this such an issue?:confused:

felixe
16th December 2005, 10:19 AM
Had a look at the hafco, the one at carba tec I was looking at is a dead ringer for the hafco sb10 - sd sliding table saw for $995

inferno6688
16th December 2005, 05:25 PM
the Hafco SB-10H is also acontracotr saw at $729, so its close to the Delta, but the Hafco has a 3HP motor. Any used the HAfco? i knows its still a fairly new machine. I am just not sure if a 1.5hp motor is enough.

felixe
16th December 2005, 08:45 PM
Never mind the deal has been done! At $645 I couldn't go past the delta. Can use plywood and some accessories to control dust. I believe the 1.5hp will be adequate for my tasks. And besides the delta has a 2year warranty. So its now in my shed.

GregLee
17th December 2005, 12:33 AM
Hi Felixe,

Congrats.. It's a good saw within it's limitations (I don't like the guard much though.. I'll replace mine as soon as I get around to making a new one from perspex). Make sure you set it up well and it's quiet and works well.

Mine was pretty close out of the box. Did have a little bit of a heel on the blade.. But this was easily fixed by loosening the trunions and a light tap with a mallet.

mozzie26
17th December 2005, 02:17 AM
I too have ordered the Delta saw from Perth Carba-tec for $649. I was looking at all the Carba-tec/Timbecon Chinese saws but was finding it all to hard to decide. I think you can't go wrong with the Delta for that price! I was starting to look at the Delta at $899 and the 10" Jet contractors saw in W.A. is over $1000. I am really hoping the Delta has a bit better quality then the Chinese machines, as you buy them and find you are never quiet happy with them. The Delta at that price has got to be better than my Triton Compact saw table at $300 plus Ryobi 9 1/4'" circular saw at $300 plus Bevel riping guide at $75 plus dust bag etc etc. I have spented about $750 just for the inferior Triton Compact set up. It can do most things but it is just more work to do the same results. I cant wait to have an easy blade adjustment.

Glen.

felixe
17th December 2005, 10:59 AM
Just one thing to be aware of if your decision to purchase the saw is based on the country of manufacture, the delta saw is actually manufactured in China. I don't see this as a big deal - the saw comes with a 2 year warranty, and is built to deltas specifications.

inferno6688
17th December 2005, 04:18 PM
I am very tempted by this Delta saw deal!!!

felixe: have you got yours runnings yet? Any problems?

i am gonna go check it out on monday.

newtowood
18th December 2005, 03:13 PM
Will the delta take a dado set?

GregLee
18th December 2005, 10:54 PM
Will the delta take a dado set?

Yes, the Delta will take a Dado set. It has a 5/8 Arbor.

newtowood
19th December 2005, 12:22 AM
There doesnt seem to be much difference between the Delta and the Hafco ST-10C. I note that the ST-10C is 2hp and also is an induction motor. Is there much difference (noise wise) between induction and universal?

GregLee
19th December 2005, 10:58 AM
There doesnt seem to be much difference between the Delta and the Hafco ST-10C. I note that the ST-10C is 2hp and also is an induction motor. Is there much difference (noise wise) between induction and universal?

Induction motor is quiet. Universal is bloody noisy.

If you examine the castings on the Hafco vs the Delta. The Delta is better finished, also the table top is flat (on mine anyway). Also the fence on the Delta aligns better and appears to be of better quality. You also get a rule on the fence which is also reasonably accurate. Until you attach a sacrificial fence anyway. Also the saw comes with a Combo blade. Not sure about the Hafco.

Iain
19th December 2005, 11:24 AM
I've got the HAFCO, 1.5hp, enough power to cut whatever I've thrown it's way including Ironbark 30mm, Jarrah and Karri.
Just feel your way through the cut and don't push hard, but I do that an yway with anything.
The base IS enclosed and the dust extraction works well.
I think all saws in this type of league run induction motors which, as stated, purr along quietly.

newtowood
19th December 2005, 09:30 PM
I rang hafco and they said their table saw for $649 doesnt take dados

felixe
20th December 2005, 12:20 AM
:rolleyes: No I haven't got it up and running yet. Will be a few days as I will not pickup before the New Year, I have left for holidays.
Just so you know - the Delta does have an induction motor.

newtowood
20th December 2005, 02:59 PM
I am in two minds over the Delta 36-650 for $645 or the Carbatec WA TJZ10G for $695. The Delta seems to be the preferred options, as both have basically the same specs, apart from price.

wands
20th December 2005, 07:15 PM
It all depends on the length of the arbour, ie, whether one can fit on and there is enough thread left to bolt it on, not necessarily the diameter.
Cheers, Steve

GregLee
21st December 2005, 05:41 PM
I am in two minds over the Delta 36-650 for $645 or the Carbatec WA TJZ10G for $695. The Delta seems to be the preferred options, as both have basically the same specs, apart from price.

I suggest that you go and have a look at the saws if possible. From my personal inspection the Delta is better made and has a better fence, better Mitre guage etc.

When I bought mine Carbatec even recommended that this saw was far better quality than the Carbatec branded contractor saws. This included the $995 sliding table version. And that was when this saw was priced at $899. At a clearance price of $649 it's even better value. Not only that but you actuall get a manual that you can read.

newtowood
30th December 2005, 11:13 AM
I got hooked on the Delta from Carba-tec and am awaiting its arrival. My first machine, woo hoo.

Muddy
30th December 2005, 11:31 AM
Well done Newtowood have heaps of fun

felixe
22nd January 2006, 08:15 PM
Just to let you all know that the delta is fantastic. thanks for the help guys.

sam63
2nd February 2006, 09:41 AM
Hi felixe, Muddy, newtowood and those who has Delta 36-650,

I do realise this is an old tread but I have recently bought one of these and I need help, mainly with the fence alignment. This is mainly because I am relatively new to the proper table saws. The rear end of the fence needs to be aligned to the right in the arrow direction (see attachment). Should I just tighten the right hand hex nut? In addition, after I lock the fence, it seems the rear end flexes a bit. Is this normal? Any feedback will be highly apperaciated.

Cheers
Sam

newtowood
2nd February 2006, 06:32 PM
I still haven't turned mine on yet. Since I broke the fence casting body, its been sitting idle. You are way ahead of me.

felixe
3rd February 2006, 09:10 AM
Sam63,
Check your manual as I think (from memory) it discusses fence alignment.
If you take a piece of wood the same thickness (straight edged) and place it in the mitre slot you can use this to properly align the fence, it is easier than just placing the fence over the mitre slot and trying to eyeball it.
From there, adjust the screws/bolts to straighten the fence, you should check the insert plate as well, it may need levelling with the table - use the grub screws at the front.
If the fence is adjusted properly there should be no flex, be sure if you are taking off the fence and putting it on again that the clamping mechanism of the fence is sitting correctly on the front rail, if this is not checked it will not clamp tight and you get movement, just have a fiddle, you will see what I mean.
Don't expect the saw to set up perfectly out of the box, you will need to make some adjustments to get the saw running smoothly. Mine needed a slight fence adjustment, insert plate adjustment, and the pulley on the motor drive shaft needed re-aligning so the belt ran in a straight line, there does not seem to be any heel on the blade, but some bolts were missing nuts.
If you still have an issue and can get to the store you bought it from, then go hassle them, they should provide after sales service.

la Huerta
5th February 2006, 07:54 PM
don't buy either one , there both not worth a $1000, mine is the same as there $995 ks12k, and i got it second hand in the trading post for $350..

these guys have a 12in on specialhttp://www.woodworking.com.au/
click on specials and it's the magno heavy duty 12in, much better machine...and make a crosscut sled, those stingy little sliding table are hopeless...hare and forbs st250 is also not bad, shop around you may get a floor model...

la H

felixe
6th February 2006, 02:59 PM
La H,
You are too late, read the earlier posts.

la Huerta
6th February 2006, 06:10 PM
sorry mate, was a little slow in the middle of the night...

sam63
10th February 2006, 01:32 PM
hi felixe,

Thanks for the reply. My system has been down and did not get a chance to log on. I did fix the fence alignment. When it comes the flexing, if I push the handle down firmly it is OK; but I am am a bit concerned that I might break the handle, which was the case in one of the e-mail in this tread as far as I know. How much I am suppose to push the handle down?

la Huerta, thanks for your comments as well. I have already bought the TS. NO turning back.

Cheers
Sam

Just George
10th February 2006, 06:48 PM
I too was looking for a saw on a budget, I looked at Carba-tec,Hare and Forbes and Gregory's versions of their respective ST-10's but when I saw the ST-250 I was sold http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php .Hare and Forbes are currently having a sale, I got the ST-250 for $1095 and a 1HP dust extractor for $149. The sale will be going for another couple of weeks. They are very helpful with any questions, give them a go.

inferno6688
11th February 2006, 08:39 AM
Just George, Is the Dust extractor special for $149, for if u buy it with the TS or u can just get it for $149?

newtowood
11th February 2006, 02:16 PM
I am the idiot that broke the fence body. I was attempting to alignt the fence and pushed too far down on the handle and broke the casting. Still trying to replace the parts. My recommendation is be careful. The handle won't go all the way back down depending on how much you screw in the adjustment screws.

felixe
11th February 2006, 07:11 PM
Guys,
you don't have to put all your weight on the handle to tighten it, my understanding is it has some sort of "cam lock", once you push down enough to tighten it, the fence (mine anyway) does not go anywhere.
If you use unnecessary force to tighten most power tools and machinery - sooner or later you will break something.
Just "tighten it" thats all and no more and the fence should stay alighned and last a long time.

Just George
11th February 2006, 11:44 PM
Just George, Is the Dust extractor special for $149, for if u buy it with the TS or u can just get it for $149?

Normal price - $189
Sale price - $149
wether bought with something or on its own...