PDA

View Full Version : BS-4A vs BS-5S vs BS-5V

MWF FEED
11th March 2022, 06:40 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm looking at metal bandsaws for a home workshop. I'll mainly be working with thin walled aluminum tube, but extra capability is always nice to have if there is space for it. Space is the real issue, I'm essentially trying to fit a whole metal working workshop in a large cupboard, so size really does matter. Second priority is the extra potential capability, beyond thin walled alu tube work.

BS-5V - I love the compact size, but would miss not having a vertical table option for small fiddly bits. This is currently my front runner, paired with a 10" dual speed deluxe Rikon wood bandsaw and metal blades. I imagine that 400 MPM with a 30+ TPI blade will be fine for cutting bits out of 1.2mm alum tube? Obviously a wood bandsaw also cuts, well: wood. (And thin steel in a pinch.)

BS-4A - as a 6x4 horizontal this is as small as combo metal bandsaws seem to get, but the vertical table arrangement apparently needs a side support strut which makes me question it. On this or the 5S I'd be adding a larger customer table.

BS-5S - I like the (seemingly) stronger vertical table mounting possibility, I like the debris collection under the blade in horizontal mode (which would also suit collecting water or cutting oil), but am nervous about the overall size.

Q) What is overall size of the 5S? Is it much larger than the 4A? Am I correct in thinking the parts the vertical table mounts to on the 5S, is stronger than on the 4A (hence no side strut needed)?

Thanks.

PS Other suggestions welcomed. One suggested idea to save space was to use chopped up hacksaw/bandsaw blades in a variable speed scroll saw, as a more compact alternative to a 'vertical table' bandsaw. Cutting would be slower and obviously more limited, but blade changes would certainly be quick :U It just seems a shame to shell out as much on a good scroll saw as a premium 10" bandsaw would cost. Perhaps buying an 'all in one' option, if I could fit a combo horizontal saw in (4A, 5S), really would be best?

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=207864&goto=newpost)