PDA

View Full Version : Jewelery Box for DIL

BobR
15th December 2005, 10:56 PM
Have just finished my daughter in law's Christmas present. It is camphor and jarrah with danish oil finish. Running out of time to wax it as the oil still has over seven days to go before it can take wax. Maybe after Christmas. The chains came from Lee Valley complete with fittings.

martrix
15th December 2005, 11:05 PM
Very nice piece! Look's like some quality work, and DIL should be well pleased.

Just curious, why no mitre's on the jarrah edge on the lid?

Also, how did you go fitting those small hinge's, they look like they are quite close to the edge of the timber on the lid?

Love the flowing grain of the Camphor around the box.

Dazaster
15th December 2005, 11:09 PM
Great job Bob.

What happens if you wax before 7 days?

Darren

Wongo
15th December 2005, 11:28 PM
Beautiful work Bob.

BobR
15th December 2005, 11:29 PM
Matrix, thanks for the comments.

The lid was constructed using bridle joints. This can just be made out on the closed lid if you are looking for it. The open lid makes it look just like a but joint.

The hinge is flush fitted to the lid, but housed in a rebate on the body. The open lid makes the screws look very close to the edge. In fact there is a bevel on the underside of the lid and this is what can be seen in the photo. In actual fact the screw is a safe distance from the edge and is about 10mm deep.

Different
15th December 2005, 11:30 PM
Very nice piece! Look's like some quality work, and DIL should be well pleased.

Just curious, why no mitre's on the jarrah edge on the lid?

Also, how did you go fitting those small hinge's, they look like they are quite close to the edge of the timber on the lid?

Love the flowing grain of the Camphor around the box.

As you well know Mitres are "Evil" Thats why!!!

Ross

yulia
15th December 2005, 11:35 PM
that's beautiful; love the colours in the wood

BobR
15th December 2005, 11:36 PM
Darren, Organoil recommends a minimum of 14 days between applying danish oil and the wax coat. then a further 5 days for the wax to cure. I can only assume that the wax would blend with the oil if applied any earlier, rather than sit on top of it.

Harry72
16th December 2005, 12:53 AM
Nice work Bob, good contrasting colours and grain matching

zenwood
16th December 2005, 02:09 AM
Beautiful box: love the colours in the two timbers.

How do you do the base mouldings on such a box? Does the box sit in a rebate? Do you allow for expansion at that point?

Also: for the first time, I'm about to put felt in the bottom of a box. How did you do it?

Have a greeny.

BobR
16th December 2005, 07:45 AM
Zenwood, thanks for the feedback. The base is glued straight onto the box. It is a very narrow base frame with no stress on it - just supports the box. If expansion is likely to be an issue then just glue the base via the grain run pieces. However, in this case the base grain is always running with the body grain.

For the felt lining I used felt from Spotlight. This one comes with an adhesive back (you can also get felt with no adhesive backing). I think the size is about 240 x 300mm for $4.00+. I found that when when the backing is removed the felt shrinks about 1/2 - 1mm, so you might have to allow for this.

Gumby
16th December 2005, 09:20 AM
Great box Bob. I used camphor on mine recently. It's a nice timber for small box work. Well done.

Also: for the first time, I'm about to put felt in the bottom of a box. How did you do it?

Zen, you can also use a can of spray adhesive to stick down the felt. Cut the felt to size, spray the bottom of the box and put the felt on it.

junkboy999
16th December 2005, 12:35 PM
Great looking bok bob

The camphor looks great. does and one have the scientific name for Champher?

Wood Borer
16th December 2005, 02:14 PM
Neat looking box.

Andy Mac
16th December 2005, 02:40 PM
Superb looking box, the colours of those timbers complement each other perfectly.

Cheers

Peter36
16th December 2005, 10:02 PM
As you well know Mitres are "Evil" Thats why!!!

Ross
Spectacular box Bob . Also luv the way youve run the grain around the corner . Can't do that with a dovetail .:D

johnc
17th December 2005, 07:57 PM
Very nice work, so nice in fact that if you don't mind I might copy the idea and produce something similiar for my daughters.

John

NewLou
17th December 2005, 08:47 PM
Yup

I love it.........great piece!!! obviously a lot a thought went into the design n use of complementary stock

TOP JOB!!!

I think your daughter will absolutely LOVE IT!!!

REgards Lou:D

Andraax
20th December 2005, 03:15 PM
That looks great.

Interesting contrast the two woods create.