PDA

View Full Version : what sphere turning jig

China
13th April 2022, 01:19 AM
Have been asked to make lots of spheres for a restoration project, I could do them with a chisel but thought it might be good excuse to buy a sphere turning jig. is the Vermec the way to go
Opinions please

Mobyturns
13th April 2022, 09:59 AM
I have one of Enzo's earlier versions of the Vermec Sphere Turning Jig. The newer versions have an index / registration pin to align the proposed center of the sphere in the blank. A nicety but not essential. Like all of their gear it is very robust, functional, and a pleasure to use. Well worth the $$$'s imho.

The beauty of Enzo's design is its simplicity and the ability for the user to adjust the cutter position, and orientation plus the fine feed thread permits precise control of the depth of cut. Some of the more flimsy designs in similar products have a tendency to self feed if the cutter catches as they can flex significantly. The sheer robustness of the Vermec STJ prevents that from occurring. The cutter is also well refined and produces a nice clean cut generally. It will produce very good surfaces if you take the time to experiment with cutter orientation etc.

Tonyz
14th April 2022, 06:46 PM
Youtube :rolleyes: see if this wets your whistle

https://i.ytimg.com/an_webp/_pDTXd8wZ80/mqdefault_6s.webp?du=3000&sqp=CK2c35IG&rs=AOn4CLDOE6ghbLIro_z4yFMf62vw7uYkQA

China
14th April 2022, 10:29 PM
Link does not work

Tonyz
14th April 2022, 11:38 PM
google Youtube
in search bar type in Woodturning the vice Oliver Gomis

Woodturning - The Dice - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTXd8wZ80)

you should get somewhere with either of these.

China
15th April 2022, 12:07 AM
Yep that worked I can and have made spheres many times over the years, This job calls for 40 spheres, years ago I would have just done them on my copy lathe ( unfortunately that went when I closed my woodturning business ) so for this job I thought I would buy a new toy.

Mobyturns
15th April 2022, 12:26 AM
Yep that worked I can and have made spheres many times over the years, This job calls for 40 spheres, years ago I would have just done them on my copy lathe ( unfortunately that went when I closed my woodturning business ) so for this job I thought I would buy a new toy.

Until you see the price of them now. :o

Pat
15th April 2022, 12:35 AM
I second the Vermec. I had one for my Woodfast M910. Worth every cent, especially when a mate asked me to make multiple "balls" of hardwood at 50mm for a martial art.

Easy to learn to use properly, almost idiot proof, until the idiot was removing the inside of a spherical box of Sydney Blue Gum and was too heavy handed. It's quicker to use a spindle gouge to get you nearly there and the jig to get that perfect internal spherical wall.

They are made to fit your specific lathe, you do have to send the centre height to Vermec and the riser is manufactured, but it makes the jig work out of the box.

woodPixel
17th April 2022, 01:23 AM
How about a jig something like this to knock out the initial spheres?

Bever Arts Sphere Autojig (https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbzIKZ5gGer/)

Tidy them up with the traditional two-cups.

I've made plenty of spheres, all exactly the same size, about 8 in a session.... But never 50 :)

The Spin Doctor
25th April 2022, 05:28 PM
I don't think you have any other choice unless you want to go overseas, and then it'll be more than vermecs. That being said if you are able to factor the $12/ball for the vermec then go for it.

China
26th April 2022, 04:52 PM
Thanks for all the advise, I have decided that the Vermec is just too expensive I am going to make one myself I will post what I come up with.

Old Croc
27th April 2022, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the advise, I have decided that the Vermec is just too expensive I am going to make one myself I will post what I come up with.
Do you have any metal working experience? If you do, I could send you some pictures of my home made jobby. It might help, might not.
Rgds,
Crocy.

China
28th April 2022, 01:28 PM
Yep send away, it's all in my head at the moment so I am open to ideas.

clear out
29th April 2022, 07:41 AM
Please put it up on the forum.
I could be interested in making one myself.
Thanks.
H.

China
30th April 2022, 12:44 AM
Will do it will be a few days or a week

hughie
9th May 2022, 10:48 AM
Until you see the price of them now. :o

Yes I make my own the reason being I dont do many spheres and really couldnt justify the money

Old Croc
9th May 2022, 09:26 PM
For the guys that asked for pictures, I pulled it apart, took heaps of photos and when I put the SD card in the computer something went wrong. I will do it again this weekend, pending work commitments.
Rgds,
Crocy.
BTW, I have thought about a simpler design that I will draw up for comment.