PDA

View Full Version : Another jewelery box

BobR
16th December 2005, 10:06 PM
This one is an Xmas present for SWMBO. It is American Walnut with an orange shellac finish. It's hard to tell the height from the photos - just over 400mm. It will most probably be used for storing craft bits and pieces

Peter36
16th December 2005, 10:14 PM
Gee Bob . You must buy your wife a lot of jewelry . Is that so she won't notice you buying all your tools :D :D:D

jow104
16th December 2005, 10:30 PM
BobR, I hope Janet doesn't see that one.

Looks super, are you sure you wont be storing some knick knacks.

Shedhand
16th December 2005, 10:33 PM
This one is an Xmas present for SWMBO. It is American Walnut with an orange shellac finish. It's hard to tell the height from the photos - just over 400mm. It will most probably be used for storing craft bits and pieces
Very nice mate. Your own design is it?:)
Cheers

zenwood
16th December 2005, 11:37 PM
Wow: very impressive. Where did you get the walnut?

Also: can you briefly describe the joinery? I'm wondering what accomodation you can make (if any) to the fact that it's a chest in miniature.

Harry72
17th December 2005, 03:31 AM
It's hard to tell the height from the photos - just over 400mm
You got that right... almost looks like a full size job, well done.

Jim Grant
17th December 2005, 09:27 AM
BobR, That is a lovely piece of work. Please post some more details on the construction.

BobR
17th December 2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

Shedhand - I can't take the credit for the basic design. It came from Australian Woodsmith No.32.

Zenwood - I picked the American walnut up from Trend Timber. Found it really nice to work with. When I have time I plan to try some different finishes on it as the shellac, whilst looking good on this project, has change the colour of the timber.

Jim - The construction is very basic. Just rebates, trenches and glue. The upper and lower sections are built separately and then glued together. Grain direction is compatable. The drawers were easy but fiddly. I would like to tackle a similar project with hand cut dovetails next time. I think it would add a bit more "class" to the finished project.

johnc
17th December 2005, 07:54 PM
A very attractive piece, and I am sure something that will be well received at Christmas.

John

Andraax
20th December 2005, 03:18 PM
Just did a quick Audit of my wife's jewellery and have concluded that it will fit in that box, but only just!

Looks great - if I spent a 10th on wood working tools as I spend on jewellery I would have a very impressive set up! But hey it keeps my wife happy and when you get down to it that what us hubbies should do!

Do you have a plan for this or did you make it up on the brain CAD?

BobR
20th December 2005, 10:44 PM
Hi Andraax. Can't lay claim to the design. It came from an old copy of Australian Woodsmith.