PDA

View Full Version : Plastics used, when metal should have been.

MWF FEED
28th April 2022, 12:00 PM
In your Latest Projects Thread Russ57 described how he reclaimed a tool that had failed plastic clamps.

Damn plastics are used far too often, in applications where they will often fail when they are needed.

And that is why I dislike certain plastics. I understand that it is the atmosphere evaporates the oils, making the material brittle.

Consider the amount of tools and machines disabled when the plastic knob, lever, clamp, or nut, breaks. If force is applied to an aged plastic component with the oil component evaporated out it can fail when used. UV degradation can also affect the plastic breakdown.

Of course for the majority of our members living in the southern part of the continent do not have the UV exposure that we have in the tropic zone, but I wonder how you are affected in the southern zone re plastics and equipment.

How many times have you had to replace or repair a broken plastic component. My experience has been the above situations but also things like the mower wheel centers.The guts had fallen out of my Victa wheels in just several years.

The wheels went all dry and crumbly and disintegrated.

What is your story in your area?

Grahame

What problems have you had with plastics failing in your neck of the woods.?

Grahame

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=208069&goto=newpost)