PDA

View Full Version : shelving

readnik
17th December 2005, 11:30 AM
Hey,

I am wanting to build some book shelves that attached to the wall but show no rails or supports? As in all you see on the wall is the shelf.

The info i need is

How can i attach to the wall (gyprock wall with steel studs) so that the shelves are strong enough to hold plenty of books.

How do you think i should attach to the wall so i cant see any brackets or rails etc? I was thinking some 40mm*20mm screwed to the wall then attach the shelf to it...

The shelf will have to be box type construction ~ 75mm thick?

Shelf would be made out of MDF and painted.

Please any info would be great :)

readnik

Harry72
17th December 2005, 10:38 PM
There are shelf kits you can buy to do this, checkout the local hardware store see what they got.

Groggy
17th December 2005, 10:55 PM
Searching for french cleats or torsion boxes may give you some ideas.

At your age though it's probably best to leave them on the table :).

czk
22nd December 2005, 09:22 PM
Hey,

I am wanting to build some book shelves that attached to the wall but show no rails or supports? As in all you see on the wall is the shelf.

The info i need is

How can i attach to the wall (gyprock wall with steel studs) so that the shelves are strong enough to hold plenty of books.

How do you think i should attach to the wall so i cant see any brackets or rails etc? I was thinking some 40mm*20mm screwed to the wall then attach the shelf to it...

The shelf will have to be box type construction ~ 75mm thick?

Shelf would be made out of MDF and painted.

Please any info would be great :)

readnik Just been looking for this sort of thing myself.
check out Hafele they have a couple of different types that might suit.

http://www.hafele.com.au/isapi/online/tchff/tchff.asp

page 408 of their furniture fittings catalogue are the ones that I'll be using
I'm getting four of them for a 50x200x2m solid timber shelf

legin
23rd December 2005, 12:17 AM
Like Groggy said french cleats are a great idea. You can even use the the french cleat on the wall as a backing board.

Best part of using french cleats is you can use the same type of wood and it looks like part of your project and its very strong.

scooter
23rd December 2005, 05:58 PM
Ready, I would make the shelf by modifying a hollow core door. This will yield a strong shelf that is only 35 mm thick with no visible supports.

I typed out a lengthy discourse describing the process, then thought, bugger it, clearer to find the article where I read about it and scan it, so here 'tis ! :D

Cheers...............Sean, no visible means of support :p

Tex B
24th December 2005, 05:16 PM
Not sure I'd use a french cleat on a shelf. The cleat would need to be about half the width of the shelf on the high side, and to get a cleat strong enough you'd need a very thick shelf, probably thicker than the 75mm you're looking at. Scooter's idea is a fairly easy way to do it, or the clever post system from Hafele.

Tex