PDA

View Full Version : have I done a bad thing?

Ivor
18th December 2005, 02:56 PM
This arvo I was quite happily resawing some hardwood and had been going a couple of hours. All of a sudden the motor stopped. Puzzled I opened the back and noticed that the motor was smelling and was really really hot. Does this mean that I have fried the motor?

Being an optimist (well sometimes) I am hoping that when the motor cools down it will start again. Any advice on how to stop this happening again, besides just work for shorter periods.

Thanks

echnidna
18th December 2005, 03:17 PM
Blow air past it with a fan.

Termite
18th December 2005, 03:21 PM
When the motor has cooled down check if there is a red button somewhere on the motor. This is an overload safety switch (sometimes electrical sometimes thermal) and if you press it in, and you haven't had a burnout, then all should be well.
Good luck.

Gumby
18th December 2005, 04:06 PM
This arvo I was quite happily resawing some hardwood and had been going a couple of hours. All of a sudden the motor stopped. Puzzled I opened the back and noticed that the motor was smelling and was really really hot. Does this mean that I have fried the motor?

Being an optimist (well sometimes) I am hoping that when the motor cools down it will start again. Any advice on how to stop this happening again, besides just work for shorter periods.

Thanks

The motor on my thicknesser/jointer does that sometimes. Just stops. If i leave it a while, off she goes again. Must be a heat thing. I think mine is a bit sensetive though, it doesn't take much for it to cut out. See if it works again after an hour or so.

AlexS
18th December 2005, 10:06 PM
If it's the basic chinese 14" bandsaw with the 3/4 hp motor, it may well be that the motor has died forever. This is not an entirely bad thing, as you can then buy a much better replacement. Try Butler & Smith, Waitara, 9476 4355.
Just a thought...check the switch, they tend to play up if they get full of dust.

Ivor
19th December 2005, 12:09 PM
All is well, as she started up again this morning fine, though I probably have taken a few years of the life of the motor.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Termite
19th December 2005, 12:33 PM
All is well, as she started up again this morning fine, though I probably have taken a few years of the life of the motor.

Thanks for the tips guys.
Looks like the thermal overload works anyway.

paul.cleary
22nd December 2005, 07:27 PM
Looks like you were hit by the "duty cycle" kicking in for your electric motor.
To explain a bit more, heavy commercial motors have a duty cycle of 100% - this means you can run them continously for days on end.
Lightweight motors may have a duty cycle of 40% - this means you can run them under load (=cutting) for 40% of the time and must run them unloaded for the other 60% of the time. If you try to run such a motor loaded for more than 40% of the time, then it overheats and either shuts down or burns out.
The lower the duty cycle for an electric motor, the cheaper it is to make. Hence a 3/4HP motor with a duty cycle of 40% is lots cheaper than a 3/4HP motor with a duty cycle of 100% - it is how woodwork machinery manufacturers can keep their prices down.
Judging by what happened in your situation, you may need to keep an eye on cutting versus non-cutting time when using your bandsaw.

Ashore
22nd December 2005, 08:37 PM
Some motors have thermisters in them that stop them getting to a heat that can cause damage ( thermal Overload) I have experianced that after this happens the first time to a motor it will happen again at a lower temp
Don't know why :confused:

So don't be surprised if it happens again after doing less work

Ashore