PDA

View Full Version : Help - Australian wood wanted!

chatometry
3rd June 2022, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone
This is Paolo, from Italy, from the PZC Chatometry – A standard system to measure wood chatoyance (http://www.chatometry.com) team.
We are mapping (measuring) wood chatoyance for common wood species around the world. Would you help us with Australian wood species?
All we need is small samples - at least 120x40x0.6mm (see pics below); anything bigger works too.

I understand that these wood species are commonly used:
Silky oak
Red Cedar
Queensland Maple
Australian Blackwood
Sheoak
Mango
Tasmanian Oak
Jarrah
Tasmanian Myrtle
Brown Salwood (not common)
Maple silkwood (not common)
Conkerberry (not common)
Other acacia species?
Any other...? (not common)

Ideally, within each wood species we need samples from a few different logs. Therefore, either receiving samples from many different forum members or from members who have samples from different logs would really be helpful!
This way we would be able to characterize chatoyance for Australian species - some of which are renowned for it - for the first time in history!

Optionally, if any of you would be so kind as to act as a hub (i.e. everybody ship to the kind mate/lady and then he/she ships just one parcel to Italy), things get even easier.

We could aim for shipment(s) to us around end of August to give everybody time to search through your inventories.

Of course, we can pay for shipping!

Thanks for reading!
Paolo

Old Croc
4th June 2022, 10:39 PM
I got all excited when I saw the (VA) in your location, thinking it was Virginia USA. I could have dropped it off on my next visit. Nah, not coming to Italy.
But I sure can help with some of the samples you require.
BTW, Maple Silkwood is very common, nearly as available as Qld Maple.
Brown Salwood, very common,
Conkerberry, common,
Rgds,
Crocy.

chatometry
5th June 2022, 12:30 AM
Thank you very much, Crocy!
Yes, Italy is a bit far from Queensland :D
Take your time to see what you can find :)
If you have pieces from different logs/sources of the same species it is really useful!
Paolo

Ironwood
5th June 2022, 05:50 AM
Hi Paulo, I can help with some samples too. I am away from home at the moment, but will see what I can find next week. Will definitely have some bits of Cooktown Ironwood plus a few others..

NeilS
5th June 2022, 09:46 AM
I can do some Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon), Red Cedar (Toona australis -> Toona ciliata), Silky Oak (Grevillea robusta) and perhaps Buloke/Bull-oak (Allocasuarina luehmannii). I also have some of our local Sheoak/She-oak but don't know its species (Allocasuarina ?)

Do you have any preferences for grain orientation on the face ... quarter sawn, etc?

Log Dog
5th June 2022, 09:49 AM
I would be happy to contribute where I can
Is 40mm the minimum width?
Log Dog :)

Fekit
5th June 2022, 05:44 PM
Hi Paulo

Mate, you know I'm going to send you some wood but I thought I'd just let you know what I can put into a package.

Silky oak
Red Cedar
Queensland Maple
Australian Blackwood
Sheoak
Mango
Tasmanian Myrtle
Brown Salwood (extremely common here and stunning timber. Very suceptible to fungal attack and don't really grown much past 30years)
Swamp Mahogany
Grey Ironbark
Forest Red Gum
Flooded Gum
Melaleuca
Crows Ash
Brigalow (Love to work with this. Smells like violets when worked on)
Bollywood
Macadamia
Cacoa
Black Bean

There's probably some more but can't recall at this stage.

I think that's about it. I'll let you know when I'm preparing it and how much it's going to cost for freight. Naturally all samples will be provided free of charge.

Cheers

chatometry
5th June 2022, 08:16 PM
Thanks everybody.
Everything you mentioned is completely unavailable here, so this would really be great!
There is no preference in tems of flatsawn vs quartersawn.
And yes, 40mm is the minimum width, but also one single pen blank could work if it's at least 20x20mm (I can cut it in two 20*9 halves and re-glue them into a 40x9 sample).
So... I really appreciate your efforts :)
Paolo

Bushmiller
5th June 2022, 10:14 PM
Chatometry

I will see what I can dig up. Some will be duplication of species others have mentioned, but from your posts that is what you want.

Regards
Paul

chatometry
5th June 2022, 10:49 PM
Some will be duplication of species others have mentioned, but from your posts that is what you want.

Yes, exactly. This provides statistical significance.
Thank you :)
Paolo

Bushmiller
6th June 2022, 10:46 AM
Yes, exactly. This provides statistical significance.
Paolo

Ah, "Paolo:" A kindred spirit. :)

Regards
Paul

Ironwood
6th June 2022, 03:13 PM
So what are we doing postage wise ? Will we just all post to someone in Australia, then one package goes over to Italy ? I am happy to cover postage for my samples to a point in Australia if someone handles the eventual postage to Paolo.

EDIT- has an ideal sample size been worked out ? As I will be cutting bits off larger pieces, I can cut them to any size .

Fekit
6th June 2022, 03:29 PM
All we need is small samples - at least 120x40x0.6mm (see pics below); anything bigger works too.

Paulo has suggested sending all of the pieces to someone in Australia. I've already told him it can't be me as I'm selling and moving.

chatometry
6th June 2022, 08:50 PM
EDIT- has an ideal sample size been worked out ? As I will be cutting bits off larger pieces, I can cut them to any size .

Thanks Brad.
Our ideal size is 150x40x10mm.
Paolo

chatometry
6th June 2022, 08:56 PM
So what are we doing postage wise ? Will we just all post to someone in Australia, then one package goes over to Italy ? I am happy to cover postage for my samples to a point in Australia if someone handles the eventual postage to Paolo.

If nobody is up for the hub proposal, we can go with the "single shipments" option!
When you have something ready, please get in touch by PM and we'll sort the details...
Thanks again!
Paolo

clear out
8th June 2022, 09:11 AM
I might be interested in being the hub for this.
I’m retired and have a big shed (full of ‘stuff’).
In suburban Sydney.
Also a ute.
This could amount to a large box from the responses so far.
The samples would need to be identified possibly with an ink marker on the back face.
I would hate to be responsible for a thousand bits of wood and a thousand bits of paper.
H.

Bushmiller
8th June 2022, 09:30 AM
If we take up Clear Out's kind offer, the posting options within Australia are best served by the "satchels" for larger quantities up to 5Kg. There are four sizes (all with the same 5Kg weight). Prices are from $9.55 to $19.65. Smaller quantities can be placed in "large letters." Three sizes available from 125g to 500g. Dimensions all the same at 260mm x 360mm x 20mm. Prices from $2.20 to $5.50.

Regards
Paul

NeilS
8th June 2022, 11:06 AM
If we take up Clear Out's kind offer, the posting options within Australia are best served by the "satchels" for larger quantities up to 5Kg. There are four sizes (all with the same 5Kg weight). Prices are from $9.55 to $19.65. Smaller quantities can be placed in "large letters." Three sizes available from 125g to 500g. Dimensions all the same at 260mm x 360mm x 20mm. Prices from $2.20 to $5.50.

Regards
Paul

In my experience those satchels and the pre-paid 'large letters' are the way to go within Australia. They don't in themselves provide any physical protection for the contents, so the wrapping protection needs to be done before selecting the satchel/letter size.

Thanks for stepping up to be the hub for this, Clear Out!

My suggestion is that Clear Out just leaves the satchels/letters that he receives intact and just bundles them together into package sizes that are suitable for shipping to Italy. That way Paolo gets the samples with their associated contributor details together.

And, if Clear Out can't resist having a peek, I must say I would find it hard to resist...:rolleyes: then he will just have to re-wrap and re-seal each lot...:U

clear out
8th June 2022, 02:39 PM
Those prepaid satchels sound the way to go all right.
I am currently on the road on the way to Brisbane via Tamworth and Murwillumbah so I may be missing off the forum a bit over the next week or so.
H.

chatometry
9th June 2022, 06:34 AM
I might be interested in being the hub for this.
I’m retired and have a big shed (full of ‘stuff’).
In suburban Sydney.
Also a ute.
This could amount to a large box from the responses so far.
The samples would need to be identified possibly with an ink marker on the back face.
I would hate to be responsible for a thousand bits of wood and a thousand bits of paper.
H.

Thank you mate... this is really appreciated.
Now I just have to sit back and relax, and wait for this big haul to be collected!
I really look forward to it because I expect to find very high chatoyance on some of your species.
Again, we are happy to pay shipping costs.

Paolo

chatometry
10th August 2022, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone
I was wondering if anybody gathered any samples for shipping to @clear out
I really look forward to test some stuff from your continent!
Paolo

Fekit
10th August 2022, 04:55 PM
Hi everyone
I was wondering if anybody gathered any samples for shipping to @clear out
I really look forward to test some stuff from your continent!
Paolo

Work in progress, not long though.

chatometry
11th August 2022, 04:59 AM
:yippy:

Euge
15th August 2022, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone
This is Paolo, from Italy, from the PZC Chatometry – A standard system to measure wood chatoyance (http://www.chatometry.com) team.
We are mapping (measuring) wood chatoyance for common wood species around the world. Would you help us with Australian wood species?

I understand that these wood species are commonly used:
Silky oak
Red Cedar
Queensland Maple
Australian Blackwood
Sheoak
Mango
Tasmanian Oak
Jarrah
Tasmanian Myrtle
Brown Salwood (not common)
Maple silkwood (not common)
Conkerberry (not common)
Other acacia species?
Any other...? (not common)

Ideally, within each wood species we need samples from a few different logs. Therefore, either receiving samples from many different forum members or from members who have samples from different logs would really be helpful!
This way we would be able to characterize chatoyance for Australian species - some of which are renowned for it - for the first time in history!

Optionally, if any of you would be so kind as to act as a hub (i.e. everybody ship to the kind mate/lady and then he/she ships just one parcel to Italy), things get even easier.

We could aim for shipment(s) to us around end of August to give everybody time to search through your inventories.

Of course, we can pay for shipping!

Thanks for reading!
Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Your request was brought to my attention a few days ago. I see you have already received the usual very generous response from kind members here.

A measure of chatoiance is interesting and difficult in my opinion, unless you are measuring LUSTRE and or reflectance change*. I often refer to LUSTRE with certain woods of certain species (some bold emphasis above). Chatoiance is another property showing depth and 3-D effect in some woods, beyond figure and lustre.

There are thousands of woody species in Australia from many genera, some are commercial some craftwoods. Getting authenticity is one challenge, then getting various cuts (radial / tangential etc), then seeking variability within species will result in a BIG (long term) project that may be hard to verify authenticate and reproduce. Still, every journey begins with one step. I wish you luck. It will be interesting.

You could consider joining The International Wood Collectors Society (IWCS) and seek samples specials from their members. Many members exchange and offer samples in 150 x 13 x 75 mm dimensions.

Here is a link to the IWCS Australian FB Page: Wood Collectors of Australasia - IWCS - Home (https://www.facebook.com/IWCSAustralasia)

Best wishes, Eugene D (euge) :)

PS: (edit extra) * MAYBE chatoiance you measure is a CHANGE of reflectance with motion (of observer, instrument or light)

chatometry
17th August 2022, 06:30 AM
Dear Eugene
Thank you very much for all the information you provided. The IWCS Australian page sounds very interesting and I will surely make use of it!

What is "Lustre"?

You are absolutely right in saying measuring chatoyance is a difficult job, as it depends on loads of parameters. Just to add one to your list, wood species with visible growth rings are often more chatoyant either in early growth or in late growth; therefore, if a flatcut sample is mainly late growth its result would be different from a mainly early growth sample.
However, there is one fact that really comforts us: the results are often quite repeatable between different logs of the same species; just to make an example, out of 13 different Wenge logs we got PZC between 6.4 and 10.2, while out of 8 Etimoe logs we got PZC between 17.6 and 27.3, so we are absolutely confident in saying that Etimoe is far more chatoyant than Wenge.
We measure it by lighting a sample with constant incidence angle and varying azimuthal angle, and measuring how each point shifts color.
If you wish to know the details of the method, we are happy to share them.

And yes, the thousands of species offered by your continent, including the hundreds of Acacias, are quite scary. I believe we should focus on a list of the most common and commercially important ones - any suggestions on such list would be highly appreciated.
As for now, obtaining samples is the hardest part of the job.

Thanks again
Best regards
Paolo

Euge
17th August 2022, 12:58 PM
Paulo,

You asked what is LUSTRE? It is also called / spelt LUSTER by Americans. Here is one definition from a US Magazine (What makes wood beautiful | Wood (https://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/lumber/what-makes-wood-beautiful)).

to me, its HIGH REFLECTIVITY from a finisly finished (without a surface coating) wood surface. The above reference says...

Luster in the light: A wood that has luster reflects light from its cell walls and appears to have a natural SHEEN. But any infiltrates in a wood's cell walls that give it color reduce its luster. Because of this, light-colored hardwoods will have luster, as does the light sapwood of darker hardwoods.

best wishes, Euge :)

chatometry
17th August 2022, 10:30 PM
Thank you
So, just so that I can understand better, would you consider African Ebony or European Boxwood to have "Lustre"?
They are both extremely compact and they can be fine-sanded to a mirror-like surface, but there is no chatoyance at all.
"Lustre" and "Chatoyance" are two different things, am I right?
Paolo

Euge
20th August 2022, 11:17 PM
Thank you
So, just so that I can understand better, would you consider African Ebony or European Boxwood to have "Lustre"?
They are both extremely compact and they can be fine-sanded to a mirror-like surface, but there is no chatoyance at all.
"Lustre" and "Chatoyance" are two different things, am I right?
Paolo

This is my own view of luster and chatoiance. I am no expert in this field, just occassionaly opinionated. :)

Both terms are closely related. Both are based on reflectance from a uncoated wood surface. (Surface coating can change reflectance.) Chatoince imo is based on the change in reflectance in high luster wood as the source of light, or the oberver, moves and views this wood. The change in reflectance can give the impression of depth (3-D effect) in the wood.

But the same species can be dull or have a high luster. Australian blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon) from different sources / regions can show dramatic differences., from low chatoiance and lustre up to very high chatoiance and lustre.

To answer your question: the reflectivity from any surface depends on it colour or absorbtion of light illuminating it. This depends on the angles and cut eg radial / tangential etc and the cellular structure of species. Black woods like ebony absorb most of the light. They lack luster, reflectivity and chatoiance imo. French Boxwood similarly but less so due to it being more reflective (pale). Both are dense and fine grained as you say. However take satinwood (there are few with that name) eg Ceylon Satinwood, it is dense, fine textured and has a high lustre and reflectance and good chatoiance too from my experience.

I hope these personal views are of some help with us woodies understanding terminology. But they are like most opinions subject to change based on experience or what we learn or see.

Best wishes, Euge :)

chatometry
23rd August 2022, 06:39 AM
Thank you very much Eugene.
This clarifies a lot to me.
And yes, we also found visible chatoyance on Chloroxylon Swietenia (Ceylon Satinwood, isn't it?)

Satinwood – PZC Chatometry (https://www.chatometry.com/satinwood/)

However, the point you mentioned about blackwood being
very different from region to region is very interesting. Would you be able to pinpoint two regions from which you would expect blackwood to be significantly different?
Then we could compare chatoyance and other properties trying to understand what makes the difference.

Thanks again
Paolo

Euge
23rd August 2022, 10:44 AM
I am away so can’t be of any help at the moment.
Others here may be helpful.

Regional & intra species seem apparent in our Blackwood. I will illustrate these with pics when I return home. Cheers Eugene

chatometry
27th October 2022, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone
If anybody is still up for providing any samples from these (or other) species, please PM me and we'll sort the details.
We are happy with small samples (120x40mm, any thickness), or veneer cutoffs.
Thank you very much :)
Paolo

Silky oak
Sheoak
Brown Salwood
Swamp Mahogany
Grey Ironbark
Forest Red Gum
Flooded Gum
Melaleuca
Crows Ash
Brigalow
Bollywood
Macadamia
Black Bean
Jarrah
Maple silkwood
Conkerberry

Fekit
31st October 2022, 02:36 PM
Hey mate. Sorry for the late reply, but as you know I've got some other significant priorities to deal with.

Anyway, this is the list of samples that I have put together. Some of them are a bit thick and I no longer have the capacity to cut them thinner, so they will be what they are. Also I haven't cut any Bolllywood as I have nothing to cut large pieces with, I'll see how I go over the next few days though, I might be able to scrape something together.

They're all about 200mm by 80-100mm and all up about 3.9kg

1 – Brush Box
2 – Melaleuca
3 – Forest Red Gum
4 – Swamp Mahogany (Unfinished)
5 – Flooded Gum (Finished)
6 – Beefwood (Grivillea Striata)
7 – Queensland Blackwood (Acacia Melanoxylon)
8 – Queensland Maple
9 – Swamp Mahogany (Finished)
10 - Flooded Gum (Unfinished)
11 – Brigalow (nicest smelling timber)
12 – Small Leafed Red Iron Bark
13 – Southern Silky Oak
14 – Moreton Bay Ash
15 – Crows Ash
16 – Australian Red Cedar
17 – Tasmanian Myrtle
18 – White Cedar
19 – Black Bean
20 – Macadamia
21 – Mango
22 – Forest Sheoak
23 – Brown Salwood
24 – Northern Silky Oak
25 – Mango
26 – Northern Silky Oak
27 – Cacao
28 - Albizia (WARNING - ABSOLUTELY TOXIC SAWDUST - SERIOUS SAFETY PRECAUTIONS REQUIRED)

I'll get a price from the Post Office tomorrow and I'll be in touch. Where in Italy is it going?

Log Dog
31st October 2022, 03:01 PM
Hey mate. Sorry for the late reply, but as you know I've got some other significant priorities to deal with.

Anyway, this is the list of samples that I have put together. Some of them are a bit thick and I no longer have the capacity to cut them thinner, so they will be what they are. Also I haven't cut any Bolllywood as I have nothing to cut large pieces with, I'll see how I go over the next few days though, I might be able to scrape something together.

1 – Brush Box
2 – Melaleuca
3 – Forest Red Gum
8 – Queensland Maple
13 – Southern Silky Oak
14 – Moreton Bay Ash
15 – Crows Ash
17 – Tasmanian Myrtle
18 – White Cedar
19 – Black Bean
20 – Macadamia
21 – Mango
22 – Forest Sheoak
23 – Brown Salwood
24 – Northern Silky Oak
25 – Mango
26 – Northern Silky Oak
27 – Cacao
28 - Albizia (WARNING - ABSOLUTELY TOXIC SAWDUST - SERIOUS SAFETY PRECAUTIONS REQUIRED)

I'll get a price from the Post Office tomorrow and I'll be in touch. Mighty effort there Fekit
Well done!

Log Dog :)

clear out
31st October 2022, 05:23 PM
Hi all been busy of late.
I’m in Sydney currently but will be driving down to Geelong and then off to Tassie on the ferry for about 3 weeks. Happy for contributions along the way, I also plan on some Huon etc for moi.
The way Oz Post is not performing I wouldn’t be breaking my back getting these samples away.
I think Christmas will be a postal disaster for both internal and OS.
I will be driving up to Brisbane in January via Tamworth so ok to pick up anything along the way on that trip also.
I think early February would be a realistic post off date for Italy if people get stuff in the local mail to me first thing in January.
My postcode here is 2137 PM me for address.
H.

chatometry
1st November 2022, 09:43 AM

1 – Brush Box
2 – Melaleuca
3 – Forest Red Gum
8 – Queensland Maple
13 – Southern Silky Oak
14 – Moreton Bay Ash
15 – Crows Ash
17 – Tasmanian Myrtle
18 – White Cedar
19 – Black Bean
20 – Macadamia
21 – Mango
22 – Forest Sheoak
23 – Brown Salwood
24 – Northern Silky Oak
25 – Mango
26 – Northern Silky Oak
27 – Cacao

I'll get a price from the Post Office tomorrow and I'll be in touch. Where in Italy is it going?

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!
Thank you!!!!
PM sent...

chatometry
1st November 2022, 09:48 AM
Hi all been busy of late.
I’m in Sydney currently but will be driving down to Geelong and then off to Tassie on the ferry for about 3 weeks. Happy for contributions along the way, I also plan on some Huon etc for moi.
The way Oz Post is not performing I wouldn’t be breaking my back getting these samples away.
I think Christmas will be a postal disaster for both internal and OS.
I will be driving up to Brisbane in January via Tamworth so ok to pick up anything along the way on that trip also.
I think early February would be a realistic post off date for Italy if people get stuff in the local mail to me first thing in January.
My postcode here is 2137 PM me for address.
H.

Thank you very much Clear Out
February is fine for us and yes, I agree that avoiding the Christmas chaos would be a good idea indeed...
I look forward to whatever samples people can gather. In fact even your most common wood is something extremely exotic here...
So, thanks again!
Paolo

chatometry
10th November 2022, 06:38 AM

1 – Brush Box
2 – Melaleuca
3 – Forest Red Gum
8 – Queensland Maple
13 – Southern Silky Oak
14 – Moreton Bay Ash
15 – Crows Ash
17 – Tasmanian Myrtle
18 – White Cedar
19 – Black Bean
20 – Macadamia
21 – Mango
22 – Forest Sheoak
23 – Brown Salwood
24 – Northern Silky Oak
25 – Mango
26 – Northern Silky Oak
27 – Cacao

Hello again. Just a question:
your list mentions twice "Northern Silky Oak"; are they two samples from two different logs? Or are they from the same log or unknown?
The same question applies to:
Swamp Mahogany
Flooded Gum
Mango

Thanks again!
Paolo

Fekit
10th November 2022, 07:26 AM
Hi Paolo

The Northern Silky Oak is unknown. The reason I included the two samples is because they are so different. It's not an easy thing to demonstrate but they appear to be opposites of each other. One turns light, the other turns dark. Doesn't matter which way I turn them, that's how they appear. Maybe it's the rough sanding? They're only about 120grit. The others are different logs, and I know that because I cut them.

chatometry
11th November 2022, 01:27 AM
Hi Paolo

The Northern Silky Oak is unknown. The reason I included the two samples is because they are so different. It's not an easy thing to demonstrate but they appear to be opposites of each other. One turns light, the other turns dark. Doesn't matter which way I turn them, that's how they appear. Maybe it's the rough sanding? They're only about 120grit. The others are different logs, and I know that because I cut them.

Thank you. This is precious information!

Maybe the difference in the appearance of these silky oak pieces is related to the direction and the angle of the medullary rays cells with respect to the surface.
I will do my best to capture this difference in appearance and to explain it!

Paolo

Fekit
11th November 2022, 08:51 AM
Postage info to Italy. PM on its' way.

chatometry
11th November 2022, 09:14 AM

Thank you... PM sent!
Paolo

chatometry
26th November 2022, 09:46 AM
Hi everyone
If anybody is still up for providing any samples from these (or other) species, please PM me and we'll sort the details.
We are happy with small samples (120x40mm, any thickness), or veneer cutoffs.
Thank you very much :)
Paolo

Silky oak
Sheoak
Brown Salwood
Swamp Mahogany
Grey Ironbark
Forest Red Gum
Flooded Gum
Melaleuca
Crows Ash
Brigalow
Bollywood
Macadamia
Black Bean
Jarrah
Maple silkwood
Conkerberry

Samples received... AMAZING!!!
Thank you very much... Impressive stuff!
Paolo

Fekit
26th November 2022, 10:38 AM
Excellent. Looking forward to seeing the results.

chatometry
9th December 2022, 06:26 AM
Speaking about samples 24 and 26, this us how they look under the rotating light conditions provided by our test rig.

Sample 24:
https://www.chatometry.com/wp-content/uploads/test_05695gif.gif

Sample 26:
https://www.chatometry.com/wp-content/uploads/test_05698gif.gif

These are chatoyance maps of the two samples:
Sample 24:

Sample 26:
On both samples the medullary rays show similar chatoyance, but the main fibers are more chatoyant on sample 24.
Other than that, our software is unable to provide detailed information about the flecks, but we'll have to improve it.

Thanks again Fekit

Paolo