PDA

View Full Version : drill press mortice attachements

Blackers
19th December 2005, 10:26 AM
Has anyone got one. And what are the pros and cons. I would rather spend 90 odd bucks on a system that would suffice for occasional use then buy the dedicated moritse machine.

thanks Jason.

custos
19th December 2005, 03:38 PM
I considered buying one of these but I decided it would be too fiddly taking it on and off my drill press. Timbecon has a dedicated morticer for $199, so possibly for the extra hundred bucks it would be worth saving the hassle.

arose62
19th December 2005, 04:01 PM
Our Bunnies have a stack of Ozito morticing attachments for $59, including 4 chisels, in a swish plastic blowmould case.

Nearly cheap enough to say "What the heck..."

Cheers,
Andrew

Bodgy
19th December 2005, 10:16 PM
Buy the real mortiser. The Ozito attachment seemed OK, but it doesn't fit all drill presses. Regardless, the drop mechasnism on a drill press is simply not strong enough to cut the mortise.

Spend the dosh, boy

markharrison
20th December 2005, 07:22 PM
Don't bother. They are a WOFTAM.

Tex B
21st December 2005, 01:07 PM
WOFTAM?

Worthy Of Fame Though Always Moldy?

Women Of Fairfield Temperance Association Member?

What Other Freaky Thing Am Me?

chrisp
21st December 2005, 01:34 PM
Waste of Freakin' Time and Money

Groggy
21st December 2005, 01:45 PM
As others have said, A waste of money. You may want to spend the money on some decent morticing chisels instead, or save up for a real morticer.

forge
21st December 2005, 05:42 PM
Has anyone got one. And what are the pros and cons. I would rather spend 90 odd bucks on a system that would suffice for occasional use then buy the dedicated moritse machine.

thanks Jason.
Jason ,personaly i have found most tools and equipment have a bit of a learning curve .I have had a morticing attachment for a few years, have done work for profit with it.Keeping them sharp does wonders.With the Bunnings stuff ,usualy one can take it back for full refund.I have been quite happy with most products from them .Including gmc, ozito etc.And ,no i'm not connected with bunnings financialy.Regards ,Bela:D

Bob Smalser
21st December 2005, 05:52 PM
Even the big commercial mortisers I've used get their overarms sprung from forcing a dull bit. They are never the same after that....always finicky.

I imagine the itty-bitty home shop machines are even more sensitive, so whatever you buy, get two sets of bits so you won't hesitate to change them out and send them to your local sharpening shop.

forge
21st December 2005, 09:58 PM
Even the big commercial mortisers I've used get their overarms sprung from forcing a dull bit. They are never the same after that....always finicky.

I imagine the itty-bitty home shop machines are even more sensitive, so whatever you buy, get two sets of bits so you won't hesitate to change them out and send them to your local sharpening shop.
Great idea Bob .Some while ago there was an article about sharpening the hollow
chisels in a ww mag.may have been FWW.The article recommended to mount the chisel verticaly in a drill press vise ,then mount a suitably shaped grinding bit
the name of wich escapes me at the moment .They are sometimes used in
die grinder's.(clear as mud?:D )Shape the tip of the grinding bit to correspond to the size of the chisel opening ,then lower the bit and grind a way.
Regards, Bela:)

Sturdee
21st December 2005, 10:46 PM
Great idea Bob .Some while ago there was an article about sharpening the hollow
chisels in a ww mag.may have been FWW.The article recommended to mount the chisel verticaly in a drill press vise ,then mount a suitably shaped grinding bit
the name of wich escapes me at the moment .They are sometimes used in
die grinder's.(clear as mud?:D )Shape the tip of the grinding bit to correspond to the size of the chisel opening ,then lower the bit and grind a way.
Regards, Bela:)

Timbecon sellls a sharpening jig for mortice chisels. Easy and quick to use and they work.

Peter.