PDA

View Full Version : Tool kit recommendations

Sam
10th July 2022, 05:04 PM
Anyone recommend a hand tool kit in the two sided plastic case variety? The type that has sockets, couple of screw drivers, Allen keys, pliers etc
Kincrome have a few, bahco some and supercheap has toolpro and toolproX. I’m after more of a general kit more than a mechanics focused one.

BobL
10th July 2022, 07:47 PM
Why not make one? Even if its from MDF you can make one that specifically suits your tools.

Tij
10th July 2022, 09:48 PM
Stanley and Dewalt have general kits as well. Some of the Bahco kits are metric only - better to have metric and imperial.

My son has a Dewalt socket set (made in Taiwan) that he uses for his bike. Hasn't had a problem with it.

Cgcc
10th July 2022, 10:04 PM
Look at the Milwaukee ones for sockets.

I would think you would be best off with 3 small cases (one socket, one drivers, one pouch for pliers etc) rather than one big case.

Something I'd recommend that I only realised after I'd been through a few configurations is... you generally don't need the really big stuff outside of automotive. Most times the large sockets are superfluous for general woodworking/DIY/garage/shed use.

twosheds
11th July 2022, 11:46 AM
Hi Sam.

Just my experiences. Usually in a off the shelf combination kit you wind up with some tools either you don't need or are not good quality, so what BobL said is a great idea. I have a number of different brands of better quality spanners & sockets but have found the Toolpro range from Supercheap is very good value for money, especially if you wait until they are on special. For screwdrivers the Kincrome set is good value vs quality. They are likely to be heavily used so a quality set is worthwhile. For allen keys I have Unbrako in metric & imperial sets. Punches are Finkal Watt. Pliers I bought as a set from Bunnings in NWS (made in Germany) - not cheap but good quality. Other tools I look for quality -vs- value for money and buy what I will use or need and usually buy singly rather than as a set. Tools that you expect to use frequently are worth spending a bit more for better quality.

I have a couple of drawers of hand tools hidden away that I no longer use because I went el cheapo or bought a set with stuff I didn't need. I keep them as a reminder that I was an 'effing idiot to buy them in the first place. The good stuff is kept next to where I will use them.

Hope this helps a bit

Regards
Twosheds

Sam
11th July 2022, 10:25 PM
Hi, thanks everyone. Tried various toolbags, buckets, custom boxes etc. Currently I have a cantilevered red metal box with most of the required tools in it - holds alot for its size but it’s a bit awkward to open/close and the corners are dangerous around gyprock walls. Research has reminded me of veto tool bags which although very expensive are cheaper than most of the kits. And would solve what to do with the left over tools which was bothering me.

The search continues…….