PDA

View Full Version : Which drill bits these days? Things seem to have changed. Still Dormer?

MWF FEED
13th July 2022, 06:50 PM
I have a set of Sutton Vipers in metric, which are reasonable, but the Imperial set is Frost (HSS), and they are rubbish steel that rusts easily and the flutes are very steep (but variable). I have been considering replacing them both for use in the shed, and just keeping the current ones as "travellers" in my toolbag.

From what I have read, Dormer used to be regarded as the go-to brand for quality (and their 0.1mm increments), but it seems that they are now producing them in Brazil. Has this had a detrimental effect on their quality?

I have a very complete set of Colt Brad points for wood drilling, so the point type for normal twist bits can be whatever is best for steel (even though most of their use will be in wood where a Brad point is not appropriate). Bear in mind though that I don't do a great deal of steel drilling (as noted in t'other thread).

Would it be a safer move to bite the bullet and purchase a Cobalt set, and be covered for more eventualities, or is Cobalt more for Stainless Steel?

Where do you buy your drill bits?

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=208302&goto=newpost)