PDA

View Full Version : Hyco long bed lathe

Brett57
14th July 2022, 04:00 PM
Hi everyone,
I have Baan offered this lathe for free 3 phase 415 but it has no tail stock.
Can anyone tell me what the likely hood would be of getting a tail stock for one of these lathes
OR
if a tai stock from a Woodfast would fit.

hughie
15th July 2022, 09:26 AM
Hi everyone,
I have Baan offered this lathe for free 3 phase 415 but it has no tail stock.
Can anyone tell me what the likely hood would be of getting a tail stock for one of these lathes
OR
if a tai stock from a Woodfast would fit.

Hmm might be hard but then they are often coming up on FB market place, gumtree etc, put out a request on market place here. It seems Woodfast took over/bought out Hyco lathes at some point and there is some info here on the forum
Hyco Lathe (https://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/hyco-lathe-167031)

But then you can operate the lathe without a tailstock quite well, maybe if handy down the track modify an existing tailstock and or build your own

Mobyturns
15th July 2022, 10:21 AM
Measure the spindle height accurately and the gap between the bed ways. Those two measurements are vital in sourcing a replacement tail stock. Replacements do pop up from time to time and some machining to modify a non-genuine tail stock may be required to suit the bed ways gap. Raising the height of a tail stock is possible however lowering is much more problematic.

Being a 415v 3ph lathe it most probably came from a school or TAFE college. Many genuine tail stocks seem to have disappeared from those lathes, probably simply lost or perhaps a damaged quill thread or casting so dumped?

Oh & btw a nice solid dependable lathe!

bunya pine
19th July 2022, 09:31 PM
Brett

I have a couple of hyco lathes and have spare tailstocks, DM me if you want try sort something out. Note I'm in Newcastle, however will be in South Western Sydney on the weekend.

Cheers
Stewart