PDA

View Full Version : dining table project

Tonyz
18th July 2022, 10:50 PM
at some time reality is going to hit home and say finish one project but I have been wanting and old pliain dining table preferably with carved legs.

:):) dang there is was on side of the road, couldnt believe my eyes, so I spoke to the owners wife and left my 2 grandkids sitting on it while shot home grabbed the trailer and returned. grandies were having a ball dancing on it waving to cars going by and getting car horn responses.

Its fairly solid, well solid enough for my use apart from gawd aweful bright yellow laminex/formica on the table top and sides.

Ive spent most of the day with chisels and baby pry bar removing the crappy stuff off the sides. Tomorrow its the top. I know its late but if anyone has some bright ideas spread them on here please.

Once Ive got all the crap off a scrap and orbital sand, Where this will finish up it will get some possible hard use and rough treatment so suggestions of what to do with the top itself.
was thinking BLO but what else...

Cgcc
18th July 2022, 11:04 PM
Have you tried a heat gun to see if the glue will release?

If it has to be mechanical removal I'd be considering setting a circular saw or track saw at a whisker of a cut (just enough to cut through the laminate and just kiss the wood underneath), and running a kerf line and seeing if you can then lift it off with a putty knife etc.

mature one
19th July 2022, 10:29 AM
In the old days we used to use a derisive of turps called forgive the spelling but it was I think called toluwol or something like that it was the best for removing old laminate

Tonyz
19th July 2022, 01:21 PM
strangely I only have this pic.

At present its sittig upside down as heavy as grit, layer of laminex/formica whatever, layer of 10mm chipboard, layer of solid timber what sort unknown until I get it upright then another layer of chipboard.
old screws half not doing anything.

I dont plan on a rebuild just strengthen and secure its legs n top then paint and seal.
the top laminex appears to be coming off easy so far.

more pics later,

Tonyz
19th July 2022, 07:05 PM
Aaaarrhh :oo: :C
what possesses people to have a nice timber table top and the glue down a 1-2mm plywood sheet then 10mm chipboard....I think. Hope these photos help
The yellow crap comes off fairly easily with chisels and baby jemmy bar, same as chipboard but its got pods of glue stuck to the plywood.

At least I am sure its plywood. the photo of table underside shows a line running length ways that appears to be 2 panels glued together but I cannot see them on top.

That being the case how do I remove the *7#*@ thin ply without damaging the top.
514566underside 514567 underside closeup
514568edge view
last pic is closeup of the top I see no matching join line as per first pics thus guessing its plywood veneer

aldav
19th July 2022, 07:54 PM
Sorry to say, Tony, but I'd be surprised if you found anything 'nice' between the layers of ply, chipboard and whatever else is in there. :C I would expect that the solid timber layer, if there is one, is something that pallets would be made from.

Tonyz
19th July 2022, 08:04 PM
:- :c :((

Tonyz
20th July 2022, 09:34 AM
this morning a clearer pic makes me more positive, apart from getting to the timber top....

BobL
20th July 2022, 10:00 AM
In the old days we used to use a derisive of turps called forgive the spelling but it was I think called toluwol or something like that it was the best for removing old laminate

If you mean Toluol then that is basically Toluene, which is fairly nasty stuff.

From the MSDS

Flammable liquids (Category 2), H225
Skin corrosion/irritation (Category 2), H315
Reproductive toxicity (Category 2), H361
Specific target organ toxicity - single exposure (Category 3), Central nervous system, H336
Specific target organ toxicity - repeated exposure (Category 2), Central nervous system, H373
Aspiration hazard (Category 1), H304

If you decide to use it I strongly recommend following the usage, disposal and PPW instructions.

I see its available on ebay - you will probably need 5L and at $10/L plus special flammables postage its not cheap.

Interestingly back in the 1980s WA petrol regs were so slack that petrol could have up to 10% toluene in it and as there was a glut of it in Singapore our petrol ended up with the full 10%. We could pick it up in the air from unburnt fuel. Fortunately or maybe not it quickly reacts with air and turns into CO2 and water.

Tonyz
20th July 2022, 11:56 AM
think I'll stick to safer stuff, like hard yakka sweet and toil :D chisels and sanders thankyou.

well I was going to and then a trip to Bunnings for other stuff and there is a piece of 2200 x900 finger jointed pine. Bugger it I thought that would be a lot easier. :D yeah call me callous call me whatever but when I looked at the top and figured at least 10-15 hours work @ $X .

Tonyz
23rd July 2022, 02:40 PM
back to basics, we have reverted back to removing all the shooit from the timber top, leaves a more rustic (butchered) appearance, damn hard slog though.
chisels, rasps, hammer, nail remover plier (thingy:))