PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench

GRS
20th December 2005, 05:31 PM
G'day all,

just knocked together some scrap timber ( pineus cloguptheshedus ) for a work bench, very crude but efective. Also added a home made vice which is very simple and will do the trick for my needs. Just threaded rod through the side secured with nuts and spring washers, welded a handle to the outside nuts and another piece of timber for the jaw. All you have to do is pull the jaw out yourself in an agricultural fashion and you have a wood vice good enough to do the job till a real one turns up! I s'pose I should finish it with something, any ideas?

A Merry Christmas & a Happy Safe 2006 to you all:)

Cheers
Gary

oges
20th December 2005, 05:36 PM
I believe you stumbled across a new species of timber there :D

Great workbench and neat idea with the home made vice, will surely serve the purpose. No point making some pretty bench that you arent going to want to use in case you damage it :eek:

Finish - blood and sweat? :D

Sturdee
20th December 2005, 06:11 PM
I s'pose I should finish it with something, any ideas?

Cheers
Gary

Great bench. I finished my benches with a couple coats of Ubeat's sanding sealer and a coat of Ubeat's traditional wax. Looks good, smells great but is easy to keep clean. Spills just wipe of.

Peter.

Bodgy
20th December 2005, 09:29 PM
Like the idea of your bench wide vise. I think I may shamelessly copy it and claim it as original. My problem is a v small shed and the traditional arrangement of left side face vise and big mother right end vise just doesn't work for me.

Thank you.

routermaniac
20th December 2005, 09:52 PM
G'day all,

just knocked together some scrap timber ( pineus cloguptheshedus ) for a work bench, very crude but efective. Also added a home made vice which is very simple and will do the trick for my needs. Just threaded rod through the side secured with nuts and spring washers, welded a handle to the outside nuts and another piece of timber for the jaw. All you have to do is pull the jaw out yourself in an agricultural fashion and you have a wood vice good enough to do the job till a real one turns up! I s'pose I should finish it with something, any ideas?

Cheers
Gary

Well done you will probably find this will be your most used of "handtools". Since making mine woodworking has become SO much easier. Your vice looks simple enough and should work well enough. I would replace the crapiata jaws with some hardwood ones when they start dying. Have fun!

Marios

Andy Mac
21st December 2005, 12:30 AM
Hi there Gary,
I like it!:D Looks like a great way to start, and the vice will be good to hold long lengths. Does the jaw have any movement to allow odd shapes, like tapers, to fit neatly?
Just a first reaction though, those protruding threads look mighty uncomfortable if you walked into one:eek: . Sounds like you've got a welder, why not weld the neat nut handle you've made onto the end of the threaded bar, and use it to wind into nuts under your bench, mounted onto flat bar with screw holes? That way the thread disappears out of the way, but you still need to pull out the moving jaw by hand.
Like so...

Cheers

GRS
21st December 2005, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the comments and ideas guy's.
This forum is a great way to bounce ideas around and a lot of people benefit.
Andy, I will attempt that idea and maybe refine it to include a welded washer on the inside of the outer jaw within a recess to not affect the clamping and this will delete the need to pull the jaw out. I knew worksafe would scrap it soon as they saw those threaded rods protruding like that:cool:
Bodgy, copy away mate, but include the Andy Mac conversion to the vice won't you:D
Marios, I might source some hard wood before doing the AM conversion, good idea

Gary

Iain
21st December 2005, 02:41 PM
For $8 you can get the McJing threaded whatsit with the handle.
Press clamp was what I meant and they are now $10
http://www.mcjing.com.au/woodworking/index.htm

Andraax
21st December 2005, 03:01 PM
I wonder why most newbie wood workers find it hard to make a good workbench? I guess, like me they want to get to making things other than a workbench. But I have sinced learned that a good workbench are pricelessly useful and one of the most overlooked tools in the workshop IMHO.

Muddy
21st December 2005, 03:32 PM
Great bench Gary but the mower looks like it might get in the way of the wood work so I better come get it:D :D :D :D :D

GRS
21st December 2005, 08:23 PM
Iain, where's your sense of adventure mate:D I didn't even know those things existed, so there you go you learn something everyday.

I got to doing the mods Andy sugested and have attached some photo's .

And Muddy...........mate.......no one, but no one, touches the John Deere;)

sept me:D

Gumby
21st December 2005, 09:13 PM
That looks much better. For some reason, the first photos were giving me a pain in the testicle region. :eek:

oges
21st December 2005, 10:11 PM
That looks much better. For some reason, the first photos were giving me a pain in the testicle region. :eek:
Have you gone to see a doctor about that? :rolleyes:

Farm boy
22nd December 2005, 06:25 AM
gary
do you want to swap john deeres yours looks newer than mine:D
has yours got the stubby holder built in ? they sell them as an after sales product from your local dealer;)
nice bench as well:)
greg

bennylaird
22nd December 2005, 07:19 AM
Talk of the John deer reminds me of the days mowing the school oval sitting on Dad's knee on a Beaut Little Fergie Tractor. Thanks for the memories. Oh and Doug, thanks for the Mamories.

Iain
22nd December 2005, 07:21 AM
Oh and Doug, thanks for the Mamories.
Bloody thief, get your own line:p :p

bennylaird
22nd December 2005, 07:56 AM
Don't you remember to be copied is the best form of praise?
But Dougs avatar is well worth remembering...........

Iain
22nd December 2005, 07:59 AM
Don't you remember to be copied is the best form of praise?
But Dougs avatar is well worth remembering...........
Careful, you could just wind up with a career in politics with a statement like that:D

bennylaird
22nd December 2005, 08:08 AM
There you go and insult me................
Politicians are lower than whale dung lol but at least they keep the lawyers off the bottom.................

(note, the above is said in jest with no intention to harm the professions mention as I am aware that there are good and bad in all. Just don't want to anger anyone this time of year....)

Iain
22nd December 2005, 08:16 AM
I thought the two were mutually inseparable:rolleyes:
Having had numerous clashes with the latter (which I might add I enjoyed at times)

GRS
22nd December 2005, 10:28 AM
Farm Boy,

stubbie holder and cruise control standard:D

Farm boy
22nd December 2005, 10:42 AM
mower is nearly as good as tool :D

GRS
22nd December 2005, 10:44 AM
I was going to borrow a mates to do the lawns but I couldn't get in the side gate:eek:

keith53
22nd December 2005, 10:47 AM
And Muddy...........mate.......no one, but no one, touches the John Deere

I feel the same way about my Greenfield..:D

Andy Mac
22nd December 2005, 10:59 AM
GRS,
I feel much better now, I could see your holiday recreation being severely curtailed by the previous setup!:p I hope I didn't come across too pushy with that suggestion, but you're right, that's what a forum is all about. But don't those McJing things look good...and I didn't realize they're so cheap.

Speaking of walking into things sticking out of vices, I was finishing off the shape of one of my whittling knives some time back...had it protruding vertically blade-up out of my engineers vice and walked away to do something else (like change a CD) Came back and didn't see the knife...reached across it and SLICE!! opened a very neat and straight line along my little finger and the heel of my palm. Damn they are wickedly sharp, and clamped hard, they don't give!

Cheers,

GRS
22nd December 2005, 11:29 AM
Andy Mac

No worries mate, thanks for the idea I was unsure what to do there, Mrs GRS even thought it was a tad dangerous. Those McJing things may get a run if they are available here in the west. Your knife episode sounds as if it could have been a lot worse if it wasn't your hand that contacted it:eek:

All the best

Gary

Iain
22nd December 2005, 01:32 PM
Those McJing things may get a run if they are available here in the west.
Australia Post can be a wonderful beast:D

aiwoz
22nd December 2005, 02:35 PM
GRS,

Nice save on the vice handles. I too am gonna copy your idea, i've been over engineering in my head for some time over getting a longer vice fitted to my bench, yours certainly looks the go.

Onya:)