PDA

View Full Version : Spray Finish.

wm460
8th August 2022, 11:05 AM
I am looking for a finish that I can spray and/or brush on bowls etc that have a lot of voids, cracks etc, that it is impossible to use wax etc on.
I only need a couple of litres.
Searching the internet is getting me confused.:?

woodPixel
9th August 2022, 01:02 AM
Bit surprised this hasn't been answered.

On cracky bowls I used nitrocellulose. It's sprayed on using a simple gun. No need for anything fancy.

The nitro will keep in the pot indefinitely. Once sprayed on it will dry in moments.

A few light costs is enough.

Caution as it's flammable AF when vapour.

Available from luthier suppliers, good paint stores on order and Lincoln Sentry.... (Will fill in more) Blackwoods?

hughie
9th August 2022, 11:05 PM
Well I reckon you can spray with just about anything. I have sprayed with nitrocellulose, W.O.P, Spa varnish Poly Urethane all in matt, satin, and gloss

wm460
10th August 2022, 07:52 PM
Thanks for your replies, the Nitrocellulose sounds like what I need especially if it will keep in the pot indefinitely.
I found luthier seller on epay that has 20lts drums((too much for me) for $229.95 sent him a message asking if he will supply it in 2 lts.
We dont have much of a choice up here, the local hardware commonly known as Dumb and Dumber, or a 1000 km trip to Bunnings and Mitre 10.

Mobyturns
10th August 2022, 10:26 PM
Thanks for your replies, the Nitrocellulose sounds like what I need especially if it will keep in the pot indefinitely.
I found luthier seller on epay that has 20lts drums((too much for me) for $229.95 sent him a message asking if he will supply it in 2 lts.
We dont have much of a choice up here, the local hardware commonly known as Dumb and Dumber, or a 1000 km trip to Bunnings and Mitre 10.

Nitrocellulose lacquer is becoming difficult to obtain due to the few solid wood cabinet makers about, and the move to 2 pack finishes. I can no longer get it in Townsville unless I place a special order for 4 lt Mirrotone with a business in Cairns and wait. It is classed as dangerous goods so it will cost you a pretty penny to get it to TC. Wattyl Stylwood was available here, but Mirrotone is a better product imho. Stylwood yellows light coloured woods.

The business in Cairns may no longer handle it as last purchase he mentioned he previously had 60+ cabinet makers ordering 100's of litres per month, now he has a few hobbyists using way less that 100 lt per year total. iirc.

Brett Hammond
11th August 2022, 09:20 PM
I have used Nitrocellulose lacquer from Pylon Coatings for years. If you don't have a spray set up I know that they sell a lacquer in a spray can. It does not have the "body" like out of a gun but it does the job. Located in Matraville Sydney (0)2 9316 8034. I presume it would be classed as "dangerous goods" so may cost a bit to get some delivered. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

brainstrust
19th August 2022, 11:47 PM
i'm not convinced on a sprays. I think a wipe on poly type thing is better.

brainstrust
2nd September 2022, 10:39 PM
gees i was about to agree with that wise person then i realized................... :U

what did you end up using?

hughie
3rd September 2022, 08:42 AM

Yeah I would agree, although I prefer the original product over the locally made one. But alas its not worth getting it sent over. It works out to be around $75 per tin. I have been playing around with the recipe to make my own, finding it a bit illusive has anybody else tried?

Mobyturns
3rd September 2022, 01:33 PM
Yeah I would agree, although I prefer the original product over the locally made one. But alas its not worth getting it sent over. It works out to be around $75 per tin. I have been playing around with the recipe to make my own, finding it a bit illusive has anybody else tried?

As far as not being convinced about sprays - each has its own niche. Wipe on Poly's (WOP) have issues too.

For fine spindle work with crisp edge detail the WOP's tend to migrate to the edges / corners of the detail and take longer to dry. I believe this occurs due to the difference in surface tension in the WOP and because the larger surface areas dry quite quickly. Sprayed Nitrocellulose Lacquer is a better solution in that instance.

I've now used pretty much all of my Minwax WOP's and have tinkered with thinning the typical polyurethane finishes with a compatible thinner (refer to the product SDS) in a 1 part poly to 2 parts thinner. None of the mixes I have tried were in the Minwax category imo.

I much prefer to use Livos Kunos 244 (Kunos Natural Oil Sealer | Natural wood oil - Livos Australia (https://www.livos.com.au/products/product/kunos-natural-oil-sealer-244)) to my home brews.

Optimark
3rd September 2022, 06:25 PM
I have used Livos Kunos 244, but now prefer their 243, which is designed for countertops and is more (apparently) water resistant than 244. As a bonus it is foodsafe, one can click on the link for the certificate.

KUNOS Countertop Oil | Natural furniture oil - Livos Australia (https://www.livos.com.au/products?product=kunos-countertop-oil-243)

I wipe it on, needs around 3 coats at a minimum, sometimes 4-5 is pretty much as good as things will get. For dodgy bits I brush it in. This bowl has been in our kitchen for years, hasn't really dulled except places where lemons go off and get furry green, if you know what I mean...

Mick.

Edit: Forgot to mention this can be sprayed on, details in the link.

Tonyz
8th September 2022, 09:21 PM
Martin Woodhead - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/c/MartinWoodhead) this is a guy i droll over his work :D he sprays his creations, what with I dont know.

rod1949
8th September 2022, 09:48 PM
You haven't stated if you want to fill the voids and cracks completely??