PDA

View Full Version : What metal is this?? Door casting on old British mill.

MWF FEED
31st August 2022, 06:41 PM
My milling machine (now the Frankenmill) is a British 'Victoria' U2, I believe it comes out of the same factory as Elliott and Alba machines and is probably (maybe) around 1950s vintage. Several years ago I bought a derelict mill of the same model to harvest some parts that were missing from my power-feed system. I contemplated keeping the castings of the dead machine for melting stock but in the end took the base and column to the scrap bloke and kept only the overarm and the door that encloses the motor and belts.
I discovered today that the cast door is a different material to the structural components of the machine. I broke it up with a sledge hammer back then, it was brittle and had a grey coarse grain, I just assumed it was cast iron as I believe the rest of the machine is. However I have discovered that a magnet does not stick to it. What is it likely to be cast from?

Read the full thread at metalworkforums.com... (https://metalworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=208419&goto=newpost)