PDA

View Full Version : Definite knowledge and skill needed but...

The Spin Doctor
18th September 2022, 08:07 AM
Making a one-piece lampshade from a sing round of timber : oddlysatisfying (reddit.com) (https://www.reddit.com/r/oddlysatisfying/comments/xgpbd6/making_a_onepiece_lampshade_from_a_sing_round_of/)

I respect the skill and to some degree the outcome, you have to have your wits about you and have a deft touch. But! What a waste of wood.

Tips when turning such risky wood. Many years ago when I was production turning, I'd be supplied by the various furniture makers a stake hollow legs made up of 8 staves to be turned into pedestals... The quality of the joinery ranged for excellent - no risk of failure, to dubious - probable joint failure. I was also playing with super thin-walled vessels of sorts... All of which had a very high risk of breaking up mid turning. To reduce the risk I would finish turn certain strategic locations on the pedestals and vessels and then wrap 5 or 6 layers of electricians tape around them (make sure you wrap in the right direction and not pull too tight). If the item is going to blow up it will be contained, and I won't lose my face - A win win!

hughie
19th September 2022, 03:19 PM
Agreed a lot of timber on the floor. I am probably in the same spot as you, skilled and the outcome is good. But its not something I would do or perhaps contemplate.

NeilS
19th September 2022, 04:26 PM
I'm thinking a couple of rings and steam bent veneer would be quicker and equally effective.

But to a man with a hammer everything is a nail!

The Spin Doctor
20th September 2022, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking a couple of rings and steam bent veneer would be quicker and equally effective.

But to a man with a hammer everything is a nail!

Yup. And it would be more stable and stronger.