PDA

View Full Version : Uneven slab - again

Bin J
23rd December 2005, 11:55 AM
There was a post earlier about "Installing laminate floor on unlevel slab":

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=24353&highlight=concrete+slab

This was the last post:

You could also lay and fasten sheets of ply, that will span some imperfections.

Has anyone actually done this?
How did it turn out?
Did you secret nail solid timber onto the ply or float timber over the top?
How much height did it take up?

Thanks!

davo453
23rd December 2005, 12:43 PM
Just read the original thread and no I haven’t had to use plywood to span the imperfections, this is certainly not a problem i'd like to encounter on any of my builds. The original grano worker should be shot for a job like that.

I did notice this machine http://www.dingo.ws/html/att/polyplaner.htm though and it would probably solve the uneven concrete problem given a skilled operator. The hourly rate could be high though as that’s an expensive bit of kit.

Cheers

Dave

Bin J
23rd December 2005, 12:57 PM
The original grano worker should be shot for a job like that.

Our situation is not that the whole job is total rubbish - our old slab looks like each room was poured individually, so each section is level in it's own right:rolleyes: . So it's probably our fault for knocking down all internal walls for the sake of open plan living :o .

vGolfer
25th December 2005, 11:27 AM
The slab in our back room was all over the shop - sloped toward each wall. We had to get a guy in to pour about 20 bags of self leveller, then we had 12mm ply attached to the slab. We have then had 19mm Sydney Blue gum laid on trop of the ply. So far...so good!

rrich
29th December 2005, 10:34 AM
LOML and I just had some laminate flooring installed between two different levels of floor. Our guys used something called hardi backer and feathered the edges between the rooms. Our floors were hard wood, though.

My suggestion would be to glue (Construction adheasive / liquid nails / etc.) to hold hard board (Hardi backer / masonite) to the areas where the slab is un-even. Then with a disk sander feather the hard board to meet the existing floor. If the feathered area is half a meter in the slope and a meter or two long, the difference won't be noticed. I would then cover the entire floor with 8-10 MM plywood as an underlayment for the laminate flooring. (Sorry, but I don't know the metric equivalent sizes for plywood.)

Flooringexpert
4th January 2006, 11:42 AM
The best floating floor in the world is by Premium floors (head office located in Dee Why) the HDF core is now the highest rated in the world 9star 'Mastercore'.... The idea being the better quality the core the more it is able to move. in reguards to slab imperfections and expansion and contraction, unless there is a violent ramp in the floor the quality of the floor is the difference. also the underlay is a big help. It stops moisture sound and absorbs alot of movement from the slab not being perfect...

More info feel free to contact me 464 777 94 @ Narellan:o

journeyman Mick
4th January 2006, 11:20 PM
The best floating floor in the world is by Premium floors...............
And this has no doubt been decided by an internationally recognised, fully independent industry body after exhaustive testing and evaluation, no?:mad:

Mick

PS: self praise is no praise at all.