PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question

chromis
23rd December 2005, 12:22 PM
This is hard to explain because I dont know the name of them.

Generally hooked up to the sewage (maybe or drainage?) and rise above the roof line. People say they are breather pipes.

Is this correct?

Can I cut about half a metre off mine? would it make a difference?...

Should you have a rain cover on top of it?

Bin J
23rd December 2005, 12:41 PM
I always called them 'stink pipes' :D :D - only found out recently that they aren't only for "stink" - I think it's so your pipes can 'run' (because it needs air to be able to run - don't know how to explain.

Our new stink pipe is in an internal wall - apparently this is the norm now - but I don't know if it just terminates within the wall or it will protrude through to the roof cavity, or through the roof as well???

Jacksin
23rd December 2005, 01:40 PM
In SA these pipes are called vent pipes, for letting air into the drain to eliminate syphonage etc. Here they extend a metre through the eaves line, providing you dont have windows in an upper storey.

chromis
23rd December 2005, 04:04 PM
Mine is like 3-4m above the roof and the end is rusted so I was going to hack off about a metre and put a rain cap (dunno what they are called) on the end to neaten it up a bit...

Ashore
23rd December 2005, 04:04 PM
Should you have a rain cover on top of it?
No not a rain cover but definately a mesh cover, this stops anything blocking the vent pipe, Have heard of birds falling into them , overcome by fumes , or after insects :confused:
Usually the mesh cover is a cone shape.

Ashore

chromis
23rd December 2005, 04:38 PM
ewwww I didnt even think of that...

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd December 2005, 06:12 PM
The minimum height of stink pipes is one of those things that may be subject to council by-laws in some places.

The last house we finished the rules were 2m above the eave-line, unless it's within 2m horizontally of an interior opening (eg. window, door, room-vent) in which case it must extend 4m above the max. height of the opening and at least 2m above the eave-line.

I'm pretty sure there's a minimum national standard for it but I couldn't tell you what it is... my reference manuals appear to have walked. :mad: ([spit, fume] Another coupla hunnerd down the drain. [mutter, mutter, rhubarb])

From memory, mesh isn't required, but some form of grate or cap over the end to limit the size of what can fall in is. One trick we used to use (and still do, out bush) to cap off was to slip a larger galv tin can over the end of the pipe, lifting it an inch or so to provide flow, and then screw it straight on. Oddly, we've found that aluminium cans don't last as long. Go figure!

You can muck around with screws to mount the can more centred to the pipe but if you're that fussy it's generally better to buy a proper cap from Bunnies in the first place. ;)

ozwinner
23rd December 2005, 06:29 PM
Most of the pong pipes Ive seen on new houses are only 300mm above the tiles.
The regs change so quick, and so often.
Al :)

chromis
23rd December 2005, 07:31 PM
I didnt think a stink pipe could generate so much conversation ;)

Looks like it's 4m above the eave because it's outside the toilet window. I'll just top it off with the regulation cap and spare the wildlife.

Ashore
23rd December 2005, 10:33 PM
sh-t
I didnt think a stink pipe could generate so much conversation ;)

You have got to be joking, talking sh-t a favorite pastime here:D

Ashore

Jacksin
25th December 2005, 05:19 PM
In SA the vent 'caps' contain a fine mesh to stop mosquitos breeding in the drain, never heard of birds getting in there.

BrisBen
27th December 2005, 08:48 PM
Interestingly...

The old toilet at the back of our Queenslander which we think was added in the mid '60s to replace the thunderbox which must have been in the back yard has quite a large (over 125mm pipe) which extends about 2 metres above the soffit line.

The new toilet in the bathroom - approx 5 years old has about a 50mm pipe that rises around 600mm from the soffit line

Maybe our diet has changed